194 Fortin Drive, Woonsocket, Rhode Island, 02895, United States
Holiday Inn Express Woonsocket
IHG Orbitz.com Booking.com

Travel Tips for Woonsocket

visit the old mills. so much...

by mmsdragon

visit the old mills. so much history here.this area of rhode island was used by early settlers because of the blackstone river, and its downward flow, help to run the water wheels that ran the mills. today only a couple still operating anyone remember joyland? many fond memories

Woonsocket is a melting pot of...

by djpicard

Woonsocket is a melting pot of French-Canadians, Portuguese, Italians, and recently a large number of Southeast Asians. Many restaurants still retain a very ethnic flavor unlike the large 'chain' restaurants (Chili's, TGIF, Ruby Tuesdays) that you find in most cities. Things to find & try: (1) J'aime la Tourtiere...a french pork pie (2) Dynamites: (look for them at Autumnfest) a sloppy joe with large pieces of onion and green pepper (3) Coffee Cabinets: (sometimes shortened to Coffee Cab...look for them at the Castle Luncheonette) a thick, flavorful coffee-flavored milkshake (years ahead of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts!) (4) Italian Grinders: You might know them as poorboys or hoagies. (5) Onion Rings: The way they SHOULD be made...thin, battered first, then covered in cornmeal and served in white cardboard boxes with red stripes (6) Whole fried clams: Make sure you ask for them 'with the pushers' so that you don't get clam strips. Get plenty of tartar sauce with these! (7) Chowder and Clamcakes: With a red tomato broth, just like they used to serve up at Rocky Point. (8) Bijou's French Onion Soup. Coma bien!

Woonsocket

by ForestqueenNYC

"Interesting Mill Town From Another Era"

When I was a girl living in Warwick and Quonset Point RI, I wanted to go to Woonsocket. I knew that they spoke French there because of the large population of French Canadians and I wanted to learn to speak French. It wasn't Paris or even Quebec, but at that time I was desperate to learn the language.

Before driving there today, I had visions of Woonsocket being a lovely city. Parts of it were charming with its old homes. But it is a mill town so parts of it were really ugly. There were five or six mills there at one time. The buildings are still there, but I am not sure they make anything in them anymore. I know the fabric mills moved to North Carolina in the late 50s.

It is a very clean town, as I have noticed all the places in RI that I have recently visited have been. The main street has been upscaled and had some trendy looking shops. I think it is a facinating look back to the past and, since it is not far from where I am staying in Massachusetts, I might go back and take another look from an historical point of view.

In the poorer section of town, probably where the millworkers lived, there is some rather interesting architecture--living quarters-- in a style that I had never seen before.

For more information take a look at this website.

mmsdragon's new Woonsocket page

by mmsdragon

I was born here in 1953 and lived here until 1968, when family moved away to california. I went back to visit long lost relatives, and friends after 28 years. what memories came flooding back. i enjoyed the fact that not much changed yet everything changed! what a fun trip. plan to return as often as possible. then country side is so beautiful! so much history there too.

PROVIDENCE

"bus depot"

on the way to woonsocket we use public transportation from the airport in providence. the price was right and what a way to sight see. Our trip started with a bus from Green Airport to downtown providence terminal! all drivers were very helpful in helping us get to the right bus, so many to choose from.
the depot there is so pretty with a park and many trees and benches to make the wait enjoyable! If time allows walk and see many beautiful old bldgs.

Comments