The Pilsbury House

341 Prospect St., Woonsocket, Rhode Island, 02895, United States
Pillsbury House Bed & Breakfast
Expedia.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Travel Tips for Woonsocket

Visit main street (especially...

by djpicard

Visit main street (especially during the Christmas season) During the blizzard of '78, I was 12 and we were out of school for almost a month. My dad came home from work one night and decided we were all going to walk to Ye Olde English for dinner (we were getting tired of peanut butter and jelly anyway!). We walked along streets with towering snowbanks, from Logee Street in the Bernon district to Main Street. When we arrived, the place was packed and the five of us shared a table with a grizzly bear of a man who was taking a break from driving a snowplow. He was from Buffalo, NY and had been called in with a crew of plows to deal with the 40+ inches that had been dropped on our little city. Our walk home through quiet stillness is as fresh in my memory today as it was when I snuggled into my bed that night.

Woonsocket...trying to be reborn...

by Pawtuxet

"The Museum of Work and Culture"

The Rhode Island Historical Society created a small interactive museum to depict the struggles and culture of the French Canadians who migrated from Canada to work in the mills during the industrialization of the northeast. I include an informative link for you to investigate and I encourage everyone to visit this really well thought out museum if they happen to pass through.
Woonsocket is trying for a rebirth of its economy .... pumping Federal Monies into the beautification of some of their city streets and creation of pocket parks.
There is an interesting combination of things to see in Woonsocket.
First I will give you the link to the Worker's Museum and later I will fill you in on han's...a Chinese Restaurant that is a jazz club. (Go Figure!)
You will also find some gorgeous Victorian architecture in the homes which were the mill owners homes. Of course there is plenty of lesser housing representing the workers homes, as well.
More later...
Museum of Work and Culture

Suzanne - Woonsocket, RI

by Suzanne1952

I've been a Woonsocket resident all my life. I currently travel between Woonsocket and Las Vegas for job purposes. Las Vegas is a great place, and when I'm there I live up in the mountains with a beautiful view of the city. But Woonsocket is home. It's where I grew up. It's where my family lives. It may not be the most exciting city in the country, but it's home...and home is where the heart is.

My Hometown: Woonsocket

by djpicard

"A city on the move"

I grew up in Woonsocket (the locals pronounce it 'Woohn-sah-keht' with an emphasis on the first syllable). Here you will find many beautiful Roman Catholic churches, built by the French Canadians who moved to Woonsocket during the turn of the 19th century.

Comments