Knights Inn Aiken

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Aiken

The View as we LeftThe View as we Left

Travel Tips for Aiken

Room for improvement

by deebum25 about Red Pepper Cafe

Husband and I stopped by for lunch after hearing about it from a friend. Friendly waitress, was prompt in checking after us and making sure our tea glasses stayed filled. Husband ordered the roast beef panini with a side of blue cheese coleslaw and I had the house special, a turkey, brie, spinach panini with strawberry basil compote with pasta salad. We weren't overly impressed by either. Although we finished our lunches the food was bland. Seasoning is a necessary and needed addition. I realize it's on the table but when the first bite you take of something is bland it tends to stick with you. Food should come to the table already seasoned. The turkey panini seems like a good idea in theory and is obviously well liked by the owner and staff but all I could taste was the sweetness of the strawberries which the waitress likened to a jam. Jam on this panini isn't a good idea. It melts and runs out and was just too sweet. The brie completely disappeared and I couldn't taste the basil in the compote. It's a shame because the descriptions all sound good. Hopefully they'll start seasoning their food and cutting back on the amount of dressing in the side salads and coleslaw, they were swimming in it. I liked the style of the place and I don't know if all the food is like this, I've only been once and will probably go again to see if there's something that I like better. I will say that the pickle on the plate was absolutely delicious and I'm not trying to be funny. It hits your palate with sweetness and cinnamon first, followed by salt and tart, and finishes with a savory garlic taste that's left in your mouth. Very pleasant. If all the food was as complex, well thought out and as good as the pickle this place would be a winner.

Comments