Holiday Inn Express And Suites Anderson

IHG Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Travel Tips for Anderson

Top 10 Southern behavioral tips

by KryFreeman

1) "Sir" and "Ma'am" everyone. Elsewhere, they'd think you're rude, but here they think you're rude if you don't.
2) "Tea" is always sweet and iced. If you want it hot, say so.
3) Directions are given with every store, church, tree, and rock along the way, not by address and cross st. You have to get to know EVERYTHING here. Once someone spent 5 minutes giving me directions like "you'll pass a big church on the left, but keep going for a while, then you'll see a Kmart, but keep going..."
4) Everyone remembers everyone they've ever met here. I called a guy that moved my dock once 3 years ago, and he remembered who I was and where I lived. Good thing I paid him on time.
5) Businesses here work on Southern time. If you're from a city and expect things to happen quickly like they do where you're from, it ain't gonna. If they say they'll call you, expect a call next week, not later today.
6) Public transportation and sidewalks in most areas is non-existent. Cars rule. I once walked 2 blocks from a garage where my car was getting worked on to Hertz and both the garage and Hertz folks looked at me like I was crazy.
7) If you move here, get into the habit of waving at your neighbors and other vehicles in your neighborhood. You're that "rude North'ner felluh" if you don't.
8) If you're from a city, every business and restaurant has a website and is probably in the Yellow Pages. Not so here. You have to know where everything is. See Tip 3.
9) "Meat and 3" is a type of eatery. You choose one of a handful of meats, and chose 3 side dishes which they consider vegetables, but can include mac & cheese, and mashed potatoes.
10) Fruits and veggies are not big in the Southern diet. My wife brought a ripe, raw peach to work and a co-worker said "mmm, that would be good fried." Recently she bought a bag of cherries, and a lady behind her in line asked if she was going to make a pie. My wife said, no, she was going to eat them raw, and the lady was taken aback and said "Oh, good for you," as if that was a foreign concept.

Comments