Mainstay Suites Anderson

Travel Tips for Anderson

Feels like I'm on vacation

by KryFreeman

"Feels like home"

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and this was the last place I ever thought I'd live, much less even visit, but I have to admit - I really like it. When we moved into our subdivision, everyone told us that they moved here thinking it would only be for a few years, but that was 15-20 years ago, and we scoffed, saying, oh that will never be us - we love the city too much.

Well, we really like it here. And although we live 3/4 yr in Chicago, we're trying to keep our home on Lake Hartwell which I remodeled myself because it's just so freakin' peaceful! Everyone is so nice here. Land and taxes are cheap. Atlanta is only 90 minutes away if we need a city fix and Greenville does a pretty good job of giving us most of what we need if Anderson doesn't have it. GSP airport is fast and easy to travel to and from. Locking doors and windows isn't as big a deal here as it was back in Cali.

And it's not simply "The South" that's so alluring. My wife spent a year in Savannah and it sucked. Tons of crime, dirty, stores and services far from the city center. Every time we drove back up to Anderson, we breathed a sigh of relief, because we could drop in to Publix for groceries and not worry about having luggage or stuff visible in our car, unlike in Savannah, where "smash and grab" crimes were a daily occurance. Even Greenville doesn't give us that "safe" feeling that Anderson does.

OK, the food here isn't great. But we travel frequently enough that we can get our exotic cuisine fix elsewhere.

One of the greatest things about this place is the sheer abundance of trees. When I drive home, I'm surrounded by forest. In Cali, the cities are mostly cement, so trees aren't so abundant. The only time I saw trees so frequently was when I went on vacation to the mountains. But here, I get them daily, so it feels like I'm on vacation every single day.

Comments