2001 Boundary Street, Beaufort, South Carolina, 29902, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Beaufort

Ex-Bank on Bay StreetEx-Bank on Bay Street

john joyner smith housejohn joyner smith house

st. helena's cemeteryst. helena's cemetery

Road map of SCRoad map of SC

Relocating-Moving to Beaufort

by RosanaRose

I'm coming from New York, I'm moving to Beaufort, SC with my two daughters because of work.
I know already that is going to be a huge change for us and I'm a little concern about this but I'm confident that we'll be happy there.
Any advice? comments?is it nice to live there?
I don't have a clue.
HELP!!

RE: Relocating-Moving to Beaufort

by sej1

I don't live there, but I have passed through, and it's a picturesque, historic town from what I recall. Some movies have even been filmed there. Good luck!

RE: Relocating-Moving to Beaufort

by FrankBSC

I live in Columbia which is about 2 1/2 hours from Beaufort. It is Pat Conroy's home. It is an historic area and Beaufort County is one of the fastest growing counties in SC. Hilton Head Island and Sun City are better-known and very different. Hilton Head is a resort community. Sun City is a new development for seniors like others around the country.

Beaufort is across the water from Fripp Island which is one of the nicer beach locations in a state that is known for its beaches.

You will find life much slower here than in Hew York if you are coming from the City, but I think you will come to appreciate its beauty and history.

RE: RE: Relocating-Moving to Beaufort

by FrankBSC

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that Hilton Head Island and Sun City are also in Beaufort County.

Travel Tips for Beaufort

Enjoy the solitude and sleepy...

by richiecdisc

Enjoy the solitude and sleepy shady streets of the historical district. It felt good to be anywhere but Savannah. After being stuck there for three days that is. We secured a room and set off to find something to eat in Beaufort. Of course, I couldn’t just head into the main part of town and eat there. No, I wanted southern barbeque and had read about a small place on the outskirts. It was very dark already and with only a rudimentary map, it took forever to find. After the disappointment of it being closed passed, we realized it was getting pretty late and just opted for a Ruby Tuesday we had passed on our wild goose chase. In the dark, this little town wasn’t looking as friendly as we had imagined. The next day was a complete metamorphosis, with idyllic tree lined streets and glorious old mansions. We didn’t have much time but wandered through the main historical area with a walking guide provided by the tourist information booth. It was easy enough to snap a photo of most of the old homes but the most famous of all, “Tidalshom,” was encircled with trees and dense shrubbery. I noticed that the tide was low and a marshy area loomed beyond where the defense of the stately mansion extended. I gingerly made my way out to take my prized photo, careful of every step, fully knowing that there is often water under what seems like solid ground in such surroundings. I got my photo and walked back on what I thought was the same exact path and in my lack of care, I felt my foot go a little deeper than the surface would warrant. Much to my dismay, the water and mud oozed just over the lip of my trusty Birkenstocks. The damage was minimal and certainly not enough to make me mad at Doreen who stood on dry land, laughing at me. It was a very hot Southern afternoon and my hiking boots lie in the trunk of my car. Even with mud between my toes, I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

James Robert Verdier House c1814 (#8 on the tour)

by grandmaR

The James Robert Verdier House is also known as Marshlands. It is at 501 Pinckney Street, and it does look out over the marshes along the river (second picture)

When we went by this house, a lot of the tour groups were going inside. I guess the inside of the house is on the tour.

The house is set off the ground supported by arches, and blends Barbadian plantation architecture with the more formal Adam features. One outstanding feature is the porch which runs across the front and down each side to connect back rooms. Second floor right and left wings are not original.

The house was built around 1814 by James Robert Verdier, son of John Mark Verdier (#2 on the tour), and used during the Civil War as headquarters of the U.S. Sanitary Commission. It is the imaginary home of Emily Fenwick, the heroine of Francis Griswold’s Civil War novel, "Sea Island Lady".

First African Baptist Church c1865 (#16 on tour)

by grandmaR

First African Baptist Church at 601 New Street was built before 1840 and was known as the "Prayer House" by 1861. It was sold to freed slaves in 1868 by the Baptist Church of Beaufort.

When we drove by it, they were renovating it.

John Joyner Smith House c1811 (#27 on tour)

by grandmaR

This house which appears to be on Bay Street actually has the entrance at 400 Wilmington Street. There is a false entrance door on Bay Street, which you can tell is false because there are no stairs to the first floor. The lower part of the windows on the porch open like doors to provide access to the porch.

The house was built in 1811 and occupied by the federal military commander, Gen. Stevens, and his staff during the Civil War. It was also used as a hospital. Smith also owned the Old Fort Plantation, now the site of Beaufort’s Naval Hospital

Historic District

by grandmaR

Much of Beaufort is in a Historic District. The district starts at the Beaufort River (Boundry Street, Hamar and Bladen), and one can get a walking tour map. In season (when it isn't too cold) they have carriage tours, and there are also bus tours and boat trips, many of which leave from the marina.

Comments