Ashley Inn

Starting To PeakStarting To Peak

Hibernian HallHibernian Hall

Cruise Ship Tourist

by barrackman2

I will be arriving by cruise ship in early May 2008. I will have only about 7 hrs in port.

I would like to visit the historic section of town. Is it walkable from the cruise ship pier? In addition to this I would like to visit a Civil War period plantation. There are organized shore excursions to do these things, but they are pricey and many on Cruise Critic forums suggest doing Charleston on one's own. Any advice appreciated. Thanks ....barrackman2....Montreal

by doodybee

my friends just got back from a cruise round the balearic islands and said the organised tours were so rushed she wished she'd not bothered so if you can go it alone it may be best

have Fun
Julie

by spatula-whisk

Your best bet for seeing the historic section of town is to take a carriage ride. You normally cannot pick exactly which route you take b/c these are regulated by the City to avoid congestion. But all of them are real interesting and relaxing. There are also a good number of neat places easily walkable from the cruise ship terminal. I have a bunch of them listed on my site, including some nice Google Maps so you can find the closest things to where you dock up near Concord St.

by julieastarr

Yes, the cruise ship pier is a short block directly into the historic section, although the plantations are approximately 30 minutes from the downtown area out along the Ashley or Cooper Rivers. Excursions are possible, but would eat up most of your day. Better to visit one of the historic homes in the downtown area, several are open for tours. A great feel for the city can be had just walking through the neighborhoods; south of Broad Street is lovliest. Or take a carriage ride for a bit of local color. May is beautiful here; the flowers are at their peak.

Travel Tips for Charleston

Red White and Blue

by Sagespot

When recently in Charleston over Veteran's Day I managed to catch the city's parade - and what a sight that was. I'd highly recommend catching it if you're in town in late November. The parade wasn't filled with tons of intricate floats nor was it super huge - it's that the city seemed full to the brim with patriotism. Now that might seem an odd observation, but it's that I've not been in a "military city" or a city with a strong military background before for this holiday.

Everywhere was banners saying how they support the troops and sending blessings with them. Children were on the street edges not to collect candy but to cheer for the various troops parading past. There was not a strong sense of political support, more of a strong sense of community.

I found it to be a wonderful experience.

Tea- of the cold variety

by MandaJ320

Call it what you please, whether it's sweet tea, iced tea, or unsweetened tea, it's a big thing here, and in the rest of the south. If you want tea at a restaurant, you will get cold tea, not hot tea. I never even tried hot tea until my first visit up north!!!

MM 461.1 Charleston Maritime Center

by grandmaR

There are lots of marinas in the Charleston area, but not many actually in Charleston that are suitable for us.

We've stayed at Charleston Harbor Marina, but that is across the Cooper River at Mt. Pleasant. We've stayed at Buzzard's Point and Ross Marine - which are both on Johns Island. And we've usually stayed at Isle of Palms, which is off the ICW on the north side of the harbor. We can't use the Ashley Marina or any of those up past the bridge because the bridge is too short for us to get under. And until recently, the Cooper River Marina didn't take transients.

We can only get into the Charleston Maritime Center because we have a shoal draft boat - not all of their slips have enough water for a deep draft (6'6") boat. There is also a LOT of current and wake waves in this marina. Rate is $6.25/ft a week for BoatUS members, plus electric. They are right next to the NPS dock for Ft. Sumpter and also the IMAX and the aquarium. We are currently parking on a vacant lot next to the docks. They have a 3 times a day tour boat going out of there, and also the aquarium boats. They have only unisex one shower, but they have 7 toilets. There's a little souvenier store, and the CARTA buses stop right out front. No laundry facilities or email access.

My father in law in front of the Trepang

by Kentbein

I was able to include this great man, Keith Russel, my father in law on our tour of the Trepang. Keith is a brilliant man and it is a true honor being related to him. He's easily the greatest person of the entire Russell family, a man for whom I have the highest respect and regard.

Historical Society

by where2next about Museum Store

I did not do too much shopping, though I happened to walk into the Historical Society's museum. They sold a variety of gifts and had an interesting display on the different types of architecture used amongst the buildings.

Comments