Best Western Charleston Downtown

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

250 Spring Street, Formerly Ashley River Inn, Charleston, South Carolina, 29403, United States

Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Ashley River
HIExpress.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Brijb20's Profile Photo

Prepare for a walk

Firstly this is the only hotel so far that I have had trouble finding in my travels in the US. Not that that's their fault, I saw it early enough I just didn't know how to get to it. That's big cities for you.
    When we eventually found it the welcome was warm and efficient and we were soon in our room. 7th floor I think with a decent view.
    The room was pleasant, clean and comfortable.
    Then we set off for the walk into town. Not for the first time while travelling in the US it was further than we thought. Not that I mind a walk but when you're there a few days it gets a bit much. It looked so close on Microsoft Streets and Trips being on the main peninsula but I reckon it was about 3 hot miles. I know, an American would have driven or got a cab. Well I didn't want to drive and we did get a cab at the end of the evening.
    It's certainly a lesson I've learnt. Stay downtown and drive sightseeing, not the other way round.
    Any way back to the hotel. We enjoyed our stay here but don't think we'll be coming back due to it's position.
    Handy for the hospital though.
    Oh and we paid £104 total for 2 nights

Directions: Don't ask me. I got lost

More about Best Western Charleston Downtown

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member rebemom

My husband and I enjoyed a delightful stay at the Best Western Charleston Downtown. Our room with two queen beds was immaculate and had every convenience we could wish: microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and coffee maker with supplies--plus the usual soap, shampoo, mouthwash, lotion, etc. The entire staff (including housekeeping) was gracious, and the general manager, Dewaine Smith, personally handled our reservation. There is a concierge in the lobby. The hotel has reasonable rates and its location is convenient to downtown and Folly Beach. We look forward to a return visit.

Satisfactory resolution of an issue

by TripAdvisor Member westernforest

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel. There were several problems that occured during our stay. None of these issues were major, but they did result in an uncomfortable stay. If one of the issues (air conditioning) had been addressed when we first reported it, our stay would have been more comfortable. Upon checkout, someone at the front desk offered to reduce our overall fare, which I did not feel was an appropriate resolution. I later contacted the general manager and he provided a gift card which was a reasonable compensation.

Rent a car!

by TripAdvisor Member Wiggs12485

First off...this hotel is a LOT farther from Historic Charleston than they make it sound. We did not rent a car, as this is the Best Western "Downtown." We arrived early for checkin and the staff was friendly and held our bags for us. But as soon as we asked for walking directions to the shopping areas they looked at us like we had 2 heads. They gave us walking directions that took 40 minutes (to avoid the not-so-great area of the city), and had no idea about the CARTA bus that stopped right out front. The room itself was only OK, definitely not what the pictures show. The air conditioner sounded like a plane taking off, or as someone else referred, a meat grinder. But the beds were comfortable and there is a fridge and microwave in the room. Once we figured out the bus schedule we were ok, and it is only a $8/9 cab ride from the historic district. On the morning of our checkout, we found a bill slipped under the door for the closet safe that we did not request nor use. We complained to the front desk and they did remove the charges quickly. The pool is ok, same deal tho- looks a LOT nicer and bigger in their pictures. Overall, just an OK experience. Don't be fooled by the hotel name though, RENT A CAR!

Very Nice Hotel - Close to Everything at a low price

by TripAdvisor Member wyattearplives

Stayed one night at this hotel with my family and loved it. Great location near Historical Charleston. McDonalds and Arby's next door and Hardee's Across the street. Manager Steve was very professional as were the desk staff. They offered breakfast but it was a little pricey so we walked to McDonalds. I would certanly stay again.

"DON'T STAY HERE! Go somewhere else!!!!!!!!"

by TripAdvisor Member Roo21

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. When we arrived in our room on the first floor everything seemed fine, upon further expection of the bathroom I noticed the shower sliding door looked funny. I went to slide the door shut and it fell on me. I had to put it back on its tracks. Then looking out our patio door to the dumpsters I noticed the door was slightly open. I tried shutting it. It would not move either way. All someone had to do was get something to pry the door open and they were in. On our way out I informed the front desk of the problems in our room. The women that I spoke with DIDN'T look surprised at all!!!!. We got a phone call 2 hours later saying they were moving us to another room and want to move our things, because they wanted to clean the room to have as a back-up. So they are willing to put someone else life in danger of a falling shower door or getting broken into. After moving up to the 7th floor, we had the pleasure of listening to little children running the halls at 2:00 am. Thats what I want to hear when I'm sleep. Apparent the hotel staff must have been sleeping too, or I guess if I gave the front desk a bottle of Hesseny like another guest did then I would have gotten better treatment. Oh yeah and don't except a continental breakfast in the morning it will cost $10.00.

Best Best Western

by TripAdvisor Member WashingtonWanderer

We've stayed at several Best Western properties over the past year and this was definitely the best of the bunch. We checked in on New Year's Day and wanted to take a tour of Charleston. Sonya at the front desk called around for us to see which tours were operating that day and found us one. The rooms were nice with everything clean and functioning. And since we were on the 8th floor we had some nice views also.

EVERYTIME I STAY - IT IS JUST AS NICE AS BEFORE

by TripAdvisor Member mwaynecribb

My family and I love this hotel everytime we stay (4 times in 3 months) the only issue is the breakfast, I have yet to have Breakfast so I can not comment on the quality and service. The price is a little much for the offering, especially with McDonald's next door but I love everything else about this property, I recommend this hotel to all that I meet going to Charleston. HYMAN's SEAFOOD as well.

Traveler Beware

by TripAdvisor Member DaiseyPaisley

We started our trip by entering the Hotel lobby and hearing an arguement between Guests and the General Manager. He kicked the Guests out of the Hotel. We did not believe that whatever the problem was that Guests should be addressed in the manner that these people were. After wittnessing this we decided to walk through the hotel before we checked into a room. We saw a housekeeper and asked if we could see a room and she let us in. The room had two beds with very wrinkled bed spreads. We pulled the sheets back and it was obvious that someone had slept on the sheets. And as if we were not disgusted enough the toilet had hair on it. We left this hotel and found a room somewhere else. We lost the money from having paid online but we were sleeping in clean sheets. Also, this hotel is not close to the historic area of Charleston. If you are planning a vacation to experience the old world Charleston then you need to stay in the Historic District. This Best Western is misleading travelers advertising that the hotel is one mile from the historic district.

Great Value and Fantastic Service!

by TripAdvisor Member wfbobo2241

I just recently spent a few nights at this hotel and the service really blew me away! I usually only stay with a Holiday Inn when traveling on business, but this hotel has really made me take a second look at Best Western. The staff was kind and very helpful, even the housekeepers were friendly. Great business center and work out room. The restaurant was the best kept secret in the whole city! Wonderful gourmet italian food. If ever in Charleston this place is worth the visit.

Comments