Best Western Sweetgrass Inn

BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Great room - Great Price

I stayed at this hotel for two days and had a great experience. The room was large, clean, the bed was very comfortable, I had a microwave, refridge, good hairdryer, the bathroom had one sink inside and one outside (love that!), and breakfast is included in the $80/night price but I did not try it out so cant comment. Oh and the A/C was quite and powerful.

The staff was wonderful and very accomodating, the grounds were clean and very pretty, plenty of parking and the pool was large for a hotel so close to the beach.

No negative comments at all!

More about Best Western Sweetgrass Inn

Expensive for what we got

by TripAdvisor Member leisuretraveler74

First - registration. I had reserved a room through the Best Western 800 number (internet site was hung up) and picked one with pool view for $5 more. Woman at registration put us in the back of the motel away from the pool. When I showed her my printed confirmation, she said they all said pool view. I told her to remove the $5 and that would be fine. She did not know how to do this so we got a room in the very front (with road noise).
Room was as advertised with refrig and microwave and seemed clean. Except for flies. We killed 12 the first night, 7 the second night. The room was the only one with a vent for the bathroom window and the vent was uncovered. My husband asked at the desk for help, was told maintenance would check it out. Nothing ever done.
Our keys continuously stopped working at all hours of the day. We kept getting new keys at the desk and telling them the problem. We were told "they have a mind of their own"!?
The door handle was loose and we sometimes could not open the door on the first try (even when the key worked).
Motel stingy with towels. Not always replaced with the same number left. Also with shampoo. I had to take the empty bottle to the desk to get another one. No tissue in the box. No extra toilet paper (had to go to desk for that, too).
Continental breakfast was fine, area clean. Swimming pool was as advertised and conveinent to use. But the poolside rooms do not open out to patios so don't pay the extra unless you just want to look at the pool.
We found out the motel will take pets for a one-time $25 plus tax fee for those people needing a pet friendly motel.

I think we were given an inadequate room because of the registration mess. Unfortunately we were locked into 4 nights due to family constraints and activities in the area raising prices and few empty rooms at all the motels. Another room may have been just fine. Take the one in the back - seemed much preferable and would have been cheaper.

Will we stay there again? I don't think so. Not worth the price we paid.

Inexpensive, comfortable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member techdiva

Visiting Charleston, SC with my family for a few days, needed an inexpensive clean place to stay. Got a $99.00 rate for 2 nights. The location is a straight drive to historic downtown, probably about a 15 minute drive, about 15 minutes from Folly beach. I was in a non smoking room, but when I first entered it had a residue like someone had snuck a smoke in it, it overlooked the pool which was nice, the room was comfortable, microwave, and small fridge are provided, washer and dryer are located outside of the room on the first floor. For the amount of money it was acceptable. I did notice some hairs on the bathroom floor and in the tub, which made me question just how thoroughly the room is cleaned. Overall its average, but comfortable, the free breakfast was good, they provide waffle mix to make your own waffles, coffee, tea, cereals, muffins, bagles and fruit, the hostess was friendly and helpful which I found from the entire staff.

Hospitality at its finest...

by TripAdvisor Member SDepew128

My family and I had a wonderful stay. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean, and the location was great. While walking out to our car the General Manager actually stopped us to ask about our stay. He seemed very interested in our satisfaction with our accomodations. Thank you for a wonderful vacation and we will definately return, and bring friends!

SweetGrass Inn Charleston Stinks

by TripAdvisor Member booshmoon

If you have similar luck to my wife and I, you can expect one or any of the following to happen during your stay. I swear, though unbelieable all this is true! It takes 25 minutes to check in, even without a line, and don't expect an apology. You will be told you are in a non smoking room, but it will be a smoking room. Don't expect a clean bath, there will be hairs from previous tenants! Don't expect the TV or games console to work, they won't! The room will have brown vomit splashed on a wall by the bed. This room will smell of a toilet block, with no ventiliatin. Housekeeping will tell you 'they book you in what room they want, don't matter what you ask for' You will be promised a new room first thing in the morning. In fact you will wait for four hours. Expect reception to complain for having to move you, despite the error being their fault. Expect the new room to have cockroaches in the bed, expect the bed linen to not fit, expect the fridge to not chill, but freeze up to $30 worth of food. Expect the toilet seat to be broken and have urine and solid grime in the cracks! Expect the new room to have the stale smell of spilt milk or putrid butter. Expect the 'movie on demand' not to work. Dont expect reception to help, apologise, and don't expect them to call back after their promised ten minutes. Even twenty minutes later she still hadn't repsonded to our call, when we called back. Breakfast, don't expect what you see on the website photographs. Be prepared for stale bread, still frozen pastries, two types of cereal and no coffee. Ready yourself to be told, fifteen minutes from the end of service, that 'breakfast is done' if you ask the staff for coffee. I am European, what Sweetgrass Inn calls a Continental Breakfast, we call a dogs dinner, or less politely 'crap' Don't expect housekeeping to respect your 'privacy please' sign, they will walk in on you naked, even if you shout for them to wait, that you're naked, they will still enter the room, obviously eager to search for tips! Expect to hear from a fellow guest in the reception as he complains that not only was he transfered from an unsatisfactory room he was charged for his new room and the one he vacated! Don't expect apologies, manners or grace from any of the staff. It strikes me as ridiculous to be writing all this and you may not believe it, I wouldn't chose to believe this could be true after the long weekend I have just had.

OK for one night

by TripAdvisor Member drzhivago47

This room was OK. It was relatively clean. We were on the
first floor and it was very convenient to take our dog out.
Breakfast was minimal but enough to get us on the road.
We would probably stay here again for one night only.

Great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member music5152

This motel had been newly renovated. The landscaping was lovely. The staff was so courteous and helpful. Since the motel is a short distance from downtown Charleston, we got an excellent rate. The drive into to Charleston was not inconvenient at all. We thoroughly enjoyed this motel.

nice hotel but dirty room

by TripAdvisor Member NielsS

The hotel is nice (outlook, appearance, accomodation), but our room was really dirty. The basin was leaking so the carpet was wet (must have been several days because it already had a terrible smell). The bathroom had disgusting dirt in the corners and at the wall. You could find dirt all over the room's carpet (do they use a vacuum cleaner at all?). Fortunately the staff at the reception was quite helpful, so they gave us a discount for our "exceptional" experience... Breakfast was good and you could even sit outside. Wouldn't recommend this hotel, especially for the high price we paid due to labor day.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member treymama

Very nice place. Clean confortable room and convenient to downtown Charleston. I was in town to take my son for a visit to the College of Charleston which was only about a 10 minute drive.

Very Comfortable at the Sweetgrass Inn

by TripAdvisor Member gopher727

We used the AAA Tour Guide as our screening tool. According to their description, The Best Western Sweetgrass would best meet our needs of quality, location and price. We found the accomodations very clean and just the way we like with exterior room entrances. The housekeeping and reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. My actual comments to the BWSI were:
Please Rate The Quality Of Your Accommodations : Excellent

Please Rate The Quality Of Service You Received : Excellent

Additional Comments : The room was very clean, the housekeeping staff very friendly and courteous. The check-in staff (Megan) could not have represented Comfort Inn better. She was very hospitable and helpful. It has been an excellent stay and we would certainly stay here again.

Comments