20 Patriots Point Road, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, 29464, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 80% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• dreamerofislands's Profile Photo

Not so friendly at the Hilton

I would NOT recommend this hotel at all. The staff are very unattentive and really do not seem to care if you stay there or not.

I have stayed there on occasion and I used to house my out of town guests there until I finally got FED UP with the lack of service and concern form the staff.

I also recently tried to get information to have my wedding reception there and there was never anyone available to take my call. I finally drove there to try to get details and believe it or not---no one was available to talk to me in person either.

Unique Quality: The location and view is awesome. Too bad the staff is so slack. Thye are also very very overpriced for the area. The last room quote I got was $329 for a standard room! You can go downtown and stay at an historic luxery hotel for $169!

More about Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina

beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JCPL97

We have just returned from a visit to SC. The Charleston Harbor Resort & Mariner is the place to stay if you are heading for a vacation to Charleston. It is a magnificent place and the views are incredable. They offer beautiful rooms with views of the Cooper River .

The service was wonderful and the staff in the Reef Bar were very accomodating. Would definitely recommend.

Event Cancellation: A Serious Warning To All

by TripAdvisor Member BongoLou

My wife signed an contractual agreement to hold the wedding of our daughter at the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina in March of 2008. When the bride and groom decided to pospone the wedding, and the CHR&M was notified, they proceeded to drain our debit account dry, since they had a credit card authorization card signed by my wife. Without notification or even an invoice or written or verbal notification to my wife, they decided to TAKE everything they could within an hour of a phone call from the bride. The contract was between CHR&M and my wife. We discovered that all the cash and the cash reserve was used and it left us totally broke. These folks are not reputable and should not be trusted with your credit or debit card number. All complaints that were made to the management at CHR&M fell upon deaf ears. We had to take up the issue with our bank, who was responsive to our dispute and refunded the illegal debits to our account. The bank assured us that their attorneys would retrieve their money. This issue is not resolved as of this writing and will, no doubt, consume much more of our valuable time.
Travelers Beware!
Louis Ramon, Summerville, South Carolina
(Long term local resident.)

Unpleasant Experience

by TripAdvisor Member cosmo15

We stayed at Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina last night and it was an unpleasant experience. I booked the room on Hotwire and it was clear that the staff was aware of this.
The room was on the first floor and was handicapped accesible, so there was no tub only a drain in the floor and a hand held shower sprayer. The wall paper had mold on it and was peeling off of the wall in places. The furniture was mismatched and there was a cafeteria style chair at the writing desk. The light fixture was a flourecent plastic covered light. I was in shock because it looked nothing like the pictures of "standard" rooms on their web site.

I went up to the front desk and asked if there was another room that we could be moved to, one that at least had a shower. I was told no, but they would be happy to upgrade me for $40. I explained that we didn't want a bigger room, just a room that was in good condition. After much arguing, the staff magically found a standard room to move us to.

When we went into this room we felt like we were in a totally different hotel. There was new carpet, beautiful drapes, and matching bedding.. and there was a tub and shower. It actually looked like the rooms on the website.

I asked at check out why the rooms were so different. I was told that rooms booked through discount travel sights were "house rooms". I think that means rooms that have not been updated/ taken care of.

If you book through the hotel directly you should expect an ok room in an ok hotel. If you book, as we did, though a discount site, BEWARE!

Terrible Management - 2 star facility, at best

by TripAdvisor Member madisoniem

Please note that "resort" is a term that should be used loosely when applied to this particular facility. The hotel has a Best Western-feel to it -- certainly not worth the amount they charge for rooms.

Upon our arrival, our bags were put in a corner of the lobby, unwatched, while we waited for our room to be ready. Once it was ready, we retrieved our bags (surprised to find they were not watched), and entered the room to find wet carpet covered in a brown, sticky substance. A housekeeper barged into the room once we had gotten situated which was unsettling, and we found the sheets were fabreezed (there were still wet remnants of the spray all over the sheets) -- we weren't even sure if they had been washed! We found gummy-bears from the past occupants all over the room, and to top it off - they never offered to upgrade or give us another room when we complained. To be honest, the management of this "resort" is unprofessional and confrontational.

I highly recommend finding a different hotel in the region -- we ended up leaving and stayed at the Wild Dunes Resort which was beautiful!

Great rooms, great location, let down by its staff

by TripAdvisor Member PJM75

CHR&M is fresh feeling hotel in a great location across the bay from historic Charleston.
THE GOOD
The deluxe rooms are great with good fixtures, nice fittings comfy beds and nice plasma TV's mounted into expansive storage units. The harbor view rooms have fantastic views and the hotel provide a free shuttle into Charleston and back again which makes things even easier. Nice pool, live band, plenty of other services easily available - essentially everything you'd expect of a good mainstream hotel.

THE BAD
The competency of the staff and their level of organization is the big let-down at CHR&M. They are pleasant to deal with but our experience was that when it came to offering good (not even great) service they were let down by not knowing the area, not not knowing their own systems and generally not being organized on things. If they could turn this around then CHR&M would really be a great option. We hope things start to improve there otherwise repeat business is going to be non existent.

Ups & Downs

by TripAdvisor Member Layover

My friend INSISTED that I stay here. HAD to stay here. Booked it at exorbitant prices. $700 for two nights. But once I got here, I was thrilled. Great views. There were multiple tech issues in the room (TV didn't work, no power to the outlets at the desk) that were fixed quickly and cheerfully by an engineer at 10 pm at night.

The rooms are small. I mean, really really small. But again, great food, great views and very nice facilities and decorations in the (really small) rooms.

But I come back to the rates. It was worth 2/3's of what they charge. It's kind of like if your street address has less then three digits, the realtor can jack up the price; sticking "resort and marina" in the name is a validation for price gouging.

Not Bad

by TripAdvisor Member letsgosc

We were in Charleston for a wedding last weekend and stayed at the Charleston Harbour Resort and Marina. Overall, it was a good stay. Just make sure you get a view of the harbour as it provides beautiful sunsets. The Bar Manager had a serious attitude problem but the rest of the staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

Rough since the Hilton handover

by TripAdvisor Member halfworkhalfplay

Hilton sold this property back to the group that devoleped it originally. The current owners have made strides to improve the amenities in the rooms that Hilton had let fall into disrepair. Hilton though did a good job--a coporate job--training the staff however, and the new management does not have that ability. And it shows. Reception is curt and disinterested, the lobby restaurant is inattentive with marginal food, and the concierge non-existent. If your business is in Mount Pleasant, you don't have much choice, downtown hotel are too far. Hopefully management will work to improve the staff.

Bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member SCGirlColumbiaArea

We thought 4:00 p.m. was a late check in. Well, we did not get in until about 4:45 p.m.; rooms were not ready. The next day we toured Charleston came back about 4:00 and our room had not been touched by housekeeping, and we had put a sign on our door early that am for housekeeper to come. We finally got an armful of towels and I made up the beds.
Our bill came with four long distance calls on it that did not belong to us and we had to straighten that out; we were told there was a "gliche" in the phone system. Never heard of such.
The room was quite elaborate with crown molding, etc but the space was small and you felt boxed in. We will not be going back there even though it has a marvelous view.

Comments