Charleston Place Superb Luxury

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 123% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

Frozen in Time

Charleston Place is located in the center of everything in downtown Charleston. All of the King St. shops are within walking distance, giving you a break from the car during a weekend in Charleston. This hotel has a fabulous old-world atmosphere about it, almost like Gone With the Wind could have been filmed here yesterday.... there are numerous gorgeous winding staircases in this hotel, with amazing decorations including flowing tapestries and brozed handrails. The rooms here are very spacious and relaxing, and if you are lucky enough to afford a club room on 2 selected floors, you will have access to a private concierge loung on the lower of those floors. When staying here I would recommend having brunch in the Palmetto Club, and drinks after dinner in the Thoroughbred Club.

Unique Quality: Everything about this great hotel is unique, I've never stayed in one like it- the service is immaculate in very way, shape and form. The history seems to jump out of the walls, there are fountains everywhere- this place just seems to soothe you into Charlestons Charm. I did not indudlge myself in this option here- but I did hear that the Spa at Charleston Place is one of the best in the country!

Directions: On the corner of Market and Meeting

• TheTravelingNerd's Profile Photo

The Finest

I'm from here so I have only had friends stay here. I have been inside many times because the bottom is upscale shops and dining. This is the nicest and finest hotel in Charleston. It is expensive, but it is the best. They have all of the amenities you could want. They have a spa, fine dining, an upscale bar, indoor/ outdoor pool and concierge, etc. Room rates start at $249. Also they have over 320 rooms and 40 suites.

Unique Quality: The private club floor is just that... only guests staying on these 2 floors have access. The private club floor has a guests only lounge.

Directions: Market St. between King St. and Meeting St.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Going Upscale

I couldn't afford to stay here, but wish I could. This is right in the very heart of downtown Charleston, on Meeting Street. It's one of the city's most popular luxury hotels.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location.

Directions: Directly across from the Market Place.

• hslowe's Profile Photo

Charleston Place is a very...

Charleston Place is a very nice hotel right in the center of everything. It isn't cheap but it has a lot of luxuries. If you stay on the club level you get free drinks, hors d'ouevres and breakfast in the club lounge.
    $200

More about Charleston Place Superb Luxury

Lovely hotel in Charleston!

by bkathryn about Charleston Place Hotel

The Charleston Place Hotel is in the heart of Charleston, South Carolina. When I arrived in late November, it was already done up in its Christmas finest. It was quite lovely and a great place to have a meeting. Charleston itself is very attractive, with narrow cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, antique stores, fine restaurants, and spectacular antebellum homes.

Best hotel in town

by TripAdvisor Member JoyD

We loved Charleston Place. Room was spacious. We were lucky enough to stay on the Club Floor, with breakfast, afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres and after-dinner pastries, all complimentary. Staff was pleasant. One small request would be for in-room movies. I would definitely stay here again.

Perfect in every way!

by TripAdvisor Member cko

The Charleston Place was an absolute pleasure. We are picky and have high standards as far as hotels go. Everyone went out of their way to accomodate us. We arrived at 1:00 in the morning and the desk clerk was very nice.
The club level offered wonderful amenities like a continental breakfast which seemed more like a full breakfast, tea, evening appetizers, and dessert. The concierge, Troy was most helpful in dining reservations, transportation, and tours.
All the amenities in the bathroom were Molton Brown and very lovely.

Absolutely wonderful in all ways

by TripAdvisor Member Erk_W

I stayed in this hotel for two days during the week while on a business trip with 5 co-workers. Everything about this hotel was perfect - the room, the location, the staff, etc. Southern hospitality was evident in ALL of the staff, the bar and restaurant (breakfast) were great with excellent food. The hotel has many stores just off the lobby, and the welcome tray with chocoaltes and pastries was an added touch that was a welcome surprise. The hotel is located in a safe part of the city, very close to great restaurants and pubs.
While I was in Charleston on a business trip (my first time in the city) for only two nights, my stay convinced me that I must return for a full week's vacation, and I will not be staying anywhere other than the Charleston Place.

Not worthy of the Orient Express Hotel Chain

by TripAdvisor Member Cords00

Upon my arrival to the hotel (and first trip to South Carolina) I was expecting to be met by the staff with the world known southern hospitality.
What a big dissapointment!
Everything seemed OK at the front desk when I checked in. They assigned me to the room where some family members were waiting for me aqnd said that my lugagge would be sent up immediately.
Well, not only was my lugagge "misplaced" for more than 40 minutes (and I eventually had to look for it and carry it myself), but I was checked into a dirty room, of some hotel guests that had just checked out that morning! The beds were unmade and the bathroom was dirty!
I had to go down to the front desk and check-in all over again and was eventually sent to the correct room (after being told that my first night would be complimentary). My mom was waiting there for me, and for housekeeping staff, whom she had called one hour before asking for hangers that had not yet been delivered.
The Charleston Place prides itself on being the most centric hotel in Charleston, which is true, but so is the Planter's Inn which is a Relais Chateau right across the street (and has the most divine coconut cake you will ever have)!
I have stayed at the Orient Express Hotels in Lima and Cuzco, Peru and loved them. I was expecting to find the same quality, but it surely was not.
The swimming pool was closed, even though it was extremely hot outside and the gym was not very impressive.
On a brighter note, however, the hotel has several nice shops in the lobby and the rooms are pretty decent. The roof terrace is also supposed to have a wonderful view of the city, but I must admit I never went up to see it.

One of the entrances to Charleston Place HotelOne of the entrances to Charleston Place Hotel

King St. and Charleston Place Hotel shopsKing St. and Charleston Place Hotel shops

Comments