Country Victorian

Dessert!Dessert!

Statue of Gen. Wm. MoultrieStatue of Gen. Wm. Moultrie

Almost ThereAlmost There

Cover PhotoCover Photo

Which One Would You Pick?

by Sagespot

Well, it looks like I'm headed back to Charleston this fall for another conference. This year I'm being given the option of reserving the Embassy Suites in North Charleston and the Hampton Inn - Historic District in Charleston.

Last year I had a bit of a disappointing stay at the Embassy Suites, and since the conference will be providing transportation to and from the sessions at the convention center...I was considering going with the Hampton Inn.

But I'm reading mixed reviews about the hotels, so maybe I should look at it from a location stand point. Which one would you pick for five days in Charleston?

Thanks in advance,

Sage

by TexasDave

From a location standpoint the two are almost next to each other and kind of out of the way from the main historical center, although close to the visitor's center. The closest Hilton family property is the Doubletree guest Suites, across the street from the Old Market (that is the only one I have stayed at and we had no complaints).

by Sagespot

Actually the Embassy Suites is in North Charleston and the Hampton Inn down near the visitor's center. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try somewhere different and stay downtown. Maybe not?

by TexasDave

There are two Embassy Suites, one in N. Charleston, and the other is the historic former Citadel. The latter is the one I was thinking of when I posted my previous comment and it is very close to the Hampton Inn. Both of them are quite a hike away from the historic old town, but the Doubletree is the closest.

by j_adamtravels

Stay at the Hampton Inn downtown - no question the better location.

Travel Tips for Charleston

Go to the Old City Market. It...

by ktobias

Go to the Old City Market. It features small shops, restaurants, and a flea market with everything from produce to antiques. Hear the lilting dialect of Gullah ladies as they weave and sell handmade sweetgrass baskets. RIding the boat across the river to Fort Sumter the scene of the first shots of the Civil War.

Local Cookies

by grandmaR

When we go to Charleston Harbor Marina (which is in Mt. Pleasant) we get a 'goodie bag' from them which often has some Benne Wafers in it. The Benne Wafer is a thin cookie, made with tasty toasted sesame. Benne (the Bantu-word for sesame pronounced ben YAH) was brought from East Africa and planted extensively throughout the South.

Sesame is a seed that can be used in many of the same ways as nuts. When toasted, its flavor is almost almond- or peanut butter-like flavor. The original Benne Wafer is produced in Mt. Pleasant at the Olde Colony Bakery

They can be ordered on-line. The picture is from their website since I have long ago eaten all of my benne cookies.

Kayak Charleston

by ElizabethWay

There is also a place to rent kayaks aon Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. It is called Nature Adventures and they also do tours from that location as well as other places around the Low- country. They provide the important stuff like kayak, paddle and life vest. You bring water and bug and sun gunk. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that can get wet.

Lake Moulltrie Historical walks

by techoverload

Since the drought Lake Moultrie is extremely low. Its also been uncovering historical artifacts that have been under water since the lake was built in 1939. There has been old Indian Artifacts found also, pottery, arrowheads, bones, spear tips, turpentine kilns and A LOT more.
I have found several items that I have given to the local museums. I have also found items that local historians aren’t even sure what they are their so old. The best place to find goodies is Russellville Flats. It’s located on the north side of the lake off HWY 45. That’s all the info I’ll give you on the location. If your navigational savy you’ll find it easily.
I just don’t want the wrong people to go there and destroy anything. I make weakly trips out there so if your interested email me and I’ll take you out there.
There are VERY large alligators out there so bring a nice sturdy walking stick just in case. The walk can easily take 6 hours to the tip and the kilns. Thats also due to slow walking and brousing. Steady non-stop walk from the tip is about an hour.
Don't forget to bring a camera, drinks and book bag.

Lookin for a book?

by tpangelinan about Walden Books

Now I can't imagine why or how you could be so board in this town that you feel you need a book other than you want to buy a book on the history of this wonderful town. So just in case your looking for a book of history for Charleston, here it is. Don't get me wrong I feel every one should read a good book, but while on vacation, take a break and explore this great town full of old history and things to do.

Comments