Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 1120 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com

DO NOT STAY-PLEASE READ

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 13, 2011

My husband and I were at the Marriott hotel in Charleston, SC on July 7th and had originally booked the hotel for 4 nights. I will give you the facts. On Friday morning, we left our room at 8:30 and returned at 11:30. Upon arrival, we noticed some things out of place and found out $150 was missing. My husband approached the maid on the floor and asked her if she had been in our room and she said she hadn't and that she did check-out rooms first. My husband took some towels from her and she had him sign a piece of paper saying he took the towels. My husband spoke to the general manager, Don, about our concern and he said he would have the lock tested. The lock print out showed that our door opened at 8:30 (our departure time) and our room key was used at 11:30 (our arrival time). The maid's key was used at 10:30. However, she told my husband she had not been in our room. There had been no indication of maid service when we returned. When questioned by the hotel manager, she said she came to our room at 10:30 and we told her we did not need service. WE WEREN'T THERE, but the hotel manager did not seem interested in getting a good grasp on the timeline of events that would help to prove our case. DESPITE the lock time sheet, the manager would not accept responsibility for the theft and simply said it was our word against her's. When I said I would get proof from the vendors where we had cash transactions that morning, he told me it was a police matter, not a hotel manager matter. As the maid continued working on the floor, he said he would not offer us a stay at another Marriott. He would, however, let us cancel our reservations. Thanks a lot. He sent us to the Visitor Center where we had to spend more on another hotel without so much as a sincere apology for the incident. When I asked him about the problem of the price difference he said he couldn't help us with that. I have never encountered such poor customer service on the part of a general manager in my entire life! The General Manager was in no way, shape, or form the least bit symathetic to the situation and merely wanted us out of his hotel. WE WERE THE VICTIMS OF THEFT and the evidence more than pointed to the fact that we were NOT LYING! A police report was filed and the bottom line is this: My husband and I ended up being out over $400 (including the difference in the new hotel). Don did not care to uphold the Marriott brand and name. He did not care to keep his guests satisfied, comfortable, or even safe. There was a time when customer service was a priority. A hotel would stop at nothing to make sure their customers left feeling satisfied and, most importantly, like they would return. Has Marriott lost this sense of customer service? Did it even ever exist? Please do not stay at this hotel.

Nearby Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Charleston Travel Forum

Need advice about Charleston, South Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Charleston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Charleston hotel reviews