Days Inn Historical District

Orbitz.com DaysInn.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 105% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• Disappointing

We have stayed in many hotels in the historic district, but sorry to say, the Days Inn is a sad story of decline and neglect. We stayed there once before in 2006 and it was okay, but it appears that nothing has been done to keep the place up. I don't understand how such a poorly maintained hotel in such a beautiful city with so much money around can be allowed to deteriorate in plain view. The staff is friendly and helpful, but the facilities are in desperate need of upgrade. Please -- somebody buy the place and fix it up, or tear it down and put up something worthy of Charleston's pride and dignity.

Unique Quality: Peeling walpaper. Leaky toilet. Dirty, cracked walls.

• FLEA INFESTED!!!!! SPEND EXTRA MONEY, GO ELSEWHERE

FLEA INFESTED!!!!!! This was my first time at this hotel and will definitely be the last. In eight hours of staying at this hotel, I had already picked up ten fleas just from walking in between the night stand, sink, and bathroom. Unfortunately, this room was the last available in town. I spent the majority of my stay just in bed and every time that I climbed out of bed to use the restroom, I had fleas jumping on my feet and ankles. If there was only one flea, trust me I would not be alarmed but there was pretty much an entire family of them that would not give my ankles a break. I literally had to check my feet every time before entering the bed. That morning, I was sure to report it to the young lady at the front desk who informed me that there was NO manager on duty to assist me. Surprisingly, one (flea) had caught a ride on my ankles “as if he was going home with me”. I notified a housekeeper who even witnessed the little bugger on my feet but I guess that meant nothing. I eventually spoke to both managers, one of which said she did an investigation and found nothing. I truly refuse to believe that because where ever there is one flea, there is roughly about 30 more nearby waiting for the next ankle to jump on. I am a very observant person especially when I pay money for something. Though I have the flea bites to prove it, I got no apology what so ever and no compensation. The manager in fact made it seem as though they did me a favor by giving me a discount in the beginning. I don’t think so!!! Discount or not, no guess should deserve to sleep with fleas. This visit was definitely a lesson for me. When I check in to future hotels, I will be sure to ask if it is pet friendly!!!!! LITERALLY!! So for future guests who choose to stay here, please check your ankles, be observant, and do not sit your belongings on the floor. You could take these fleas home and have an even bigger problem on your hands. The only thing that this hotel has going for them is location. There are many other hotels in walking distance that I’m sure are better and pest fee. Spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

Unique Quality: location only

• Can't be beat...

Two adults stayed four nights in March 2010. Paid $100 with taxes per night. The room had 2 queen beds, a small sitting area with 2 chairs and table, as well as a full size desk with chair between the beds. Very spacious. The room was well maintained and very clean. Beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly and did a great job. Hotel is certainly not new but having said that, we would absolutely stay here every time we came to Charleston. If you want a brand new hotel in the middle of this city then pay the $3-400 per night... If you want clean, comfortable and very reasonable priced then this is for you.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location.......right in the middle of historic Charleston and within easy walking distance of all the major attractions, restaurants, museums and shopping.
    Literally so close we only took a taxi to and from the airport. Never needed another one.

Directions: market street

• Charleston's scam

Let me begin by saying that the location was good, but the room conditions was very dirty and stunk. The rooms were congested and the carpets were filthy, you might want to think twice before putting your bare feet down. the bathrooms were dirty as well. It is not worth the money at all. we paid 250+ for two nights and I regret staying there. The place was old and not maintained well. You are better off paying a few more dollars and find another place.
    They really need to upgrade the place, while they are charging a lot for that condition rooms.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

A hotel in the center

Our goal was to stroll in the historic district from our accomodation but the hotels of this area were expensive. Days Inn proposed a reduced price if I agreed to payed at the reservation without any possibility to be reimbursed. So did I.
    I payed 132.92$ tax included per day for two people (July 2006). The rack rate was around 220$ + tax.
    The room was clean but not roomy. Everything was in good order.
    Cable TV with HBO.
    Fridge and microwave
    Iron and ironboard
    Bath room with tub and shower. The sink is beside the bathroom.
    Hair dryer.
    Safe
    Free newspaper Monday to Friday (USA Today)
    Freewifi in each room. The clerk allowed us to use freely the hotel internet access.
    A pool with deckchairs
    No free breackfast but the restaurant Diana's which is within the premises is open at 6:30AM and can provide a room service. The breakfast had not a high level of quality and we prefered to go to the Sweetwater Cafe which was located nearby (Market street).
    Check in : 3PM- Check out : 11AM
    2 levels

Unique Quality: The location is perfect to visit the historic center. The Battery park is 30 min walking distant.

Directions: Arriving from East by 17 hwy use the Meeting street exit.

• The heart of downtown

Semi-Cheap compared to the surroundings, and the location can't be beat. Not quite new, and not upscale. The staff was friendly, and the room was clean. Great if you want to save some money and stay downtown.

• jbel2879's Profile Photo

location, location, location.

So not to sound like a prima donna, but I don't really do sketchy hotels. I'll go majorly budget, but I require clean towels and a safe location. Hey, I'm a petite, unarmed young woman.

So this Days Inn is perfect for people like me - not wealthy, but demanding. Since the room was shared it wasn't bad at all. I think we paid like $90 or $100 a night? Expedia was the way to go.

The room was classic Days Inn - clean, regular, nothing special. But man, you walk out the door, and you're smack dab in the middle of it all. It's literally right across the street from that cool market where all the local women sell their handmade baskets. It's right next to an inexpensive little breakfast place, and within walking distance of a bunch of restaurants.

Unique Quality: The unique qualities were that there was nothing unique. It was a normal, clean, standard hotel room which was used to sleep and shower. Really, in places as beautiful and fascinating as Charleston, do we really care what the room's like?

Comments