78 Queen Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 93% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• The Elliott House Inn

The price is around $150 USD per night, well worth it!

Unique Quality: It's a small, romantic inn steps away from the Old City Market area. The owners are full of Southern hospitality! Breakfast is delivered to your room on silver trays, wine & cheese are served in the courtyard and bicycles are available for exploring! They'll be happy to arrange tours and pack a picnic lunch for you... FANTASTIC!

Directions: 78 Queen Street
    800-729-1855
    also a webpage at: http://www.elliotthouseinn.com

More about Elliott House Inn

not what I expentec

My husband and I went for a romantic weekend at the Elliott House. I researched info about it but it did not meet my expectations. The price was high for the value. The room was quite small and kind of shabby. The water pressure was good and the evening wine and cheese though they ran out of the special bread. I was disappointed in the cleaning because they left the dirty glasses in the room each day. They advertise a turn down service but did not provide this service. The receptionist did provide restaurant info but part of the staff was sarcastic about a place that we ate that they had not recommended even though other Charleston people had. The location was good but I'd look around for a place that follows through on what they advertise.

Elliott House Inn - a good deal

This was our third year staying in Charleston and we try to stay at a different hotel each time. In the past we stayed in Mount Pleasant at the Quality Inn and then at the Andrew Pinckney. We liked both of these places.
But, we liked the Elliot House even more. It is old, as is typical of many of Charleston's inns. Our room was small but charming and quiet and the bed was very comfortable. It was very, very clean. The location was also perfect. We walked everywhere. The courtyard that the rooms faced was nice and we had wine and cheese there each evening. The continental breakfast that was brought to our room each morning on a silver try was very good - delicious pastries, orange juice and coffee. All good quality, fresh and tasty.
The only negative was that we were on the third floor and the elevator was broke, but it really wasn't a problem for us. We did pay $13.00 a day for parking but it was convenient and safe.
The thing we liked most was the in-ground jacuzzi in the courtyard. It was very large and deep and so relaxing.
We came here at the end of January and they have excellent special rates during this time.
We'll be back here next year.

Southern Comfort

by TripAdvisor Member Marvella

This inn is a real find. My husband and I stayed in a ground floor room with a king bed. We had no balcony view, but didn't mind, given the low off-season rate we were charged.

The room was beautifully appointed, including a very comfortable canopy-bed. It was very clean, and fresh flowers were left on a side-table. The staff was friendly as could be. The wine and cheese served in the courtyard was a very special treat after sightseeing all day. After dinner, there was a large jacuzzi to relax in and gaze at the stars. The courtyard itself is very attractive, with flowers and vines, garden sculptures and gurgling fountains.

Turn-down service consisted of a tiny chocolate left on the bed with a slip on which to note the time you wish breakfast to be served. Breakfast itself was good, not great. The coffee was weak, and the rest of the continental breakfast consisted of orange juice, one english muffin and two pastry items per couple. Still, it was tasty enough, and fun to eat off a silver platter!

We love this place, and can't wait to return!

Loved the Elliott House

Two friends and I just returned from a delightful first-time visit to Charleston. We stayed for 6 days at the Elliott House Inn and were so impressed with it. The staff offered us real southern hospitality and met all our requests and needs. The Inn is centally located to the historic downtown district and within easy walking distance. They offer bicycles for use, and we took daily bike rides to the bay and on the quaint streets lined with old homes. The area is quiet, even though there are 2 restaurants almost next door. The rooms are old but clean and well-equipped. There is a small pool (large jacuzzi) which we took advantage of at night. I heartily recommend this inn for people looking for a quiet, warm experience in Charleston.

A very pleasant experience

by TripAdvisor Member Ray&Mary

I surprised my wife on her birthday with a night at the Elliott House Inn, while traveling to visit family in SC. We had been to Charleston before several times for day trips, but never stayed overnight. This is a very cozy inn with outside entrances to each room around a courtyard, lots of foliage, wrought iron tables, and an outdoor hot tub pool, a very nice touch. A complimentary bottle of champagne awaited us in the room, a 5pm wine and cheese reception in the courtyard, a lovely ambiance at night and a light continental breakfast in the morning. The room, as noted by other reviews, was small but very adequate (how much room do you need anyway?) and very clean with modern plumbing and fixtures. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Another nice touch was a free walking tour at 4pm with a guide describing some of the history around a few block area of the inn. I, and a few others, tipped Ben, the guide, for his efforts. Perfect location within walking distance of everything. Parking right across the street was $13 a day. My wife loved the experience and we had a good time.

Enjoyed our stay at the Elliott House Inn

My husband and I celebrated our 1-year anniversary at The Elliott House Inn and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We checked out several other places before deciding on The Elliott House (namely The Andrew Pinckney Inn and the Ansonborough Inn) and we were very glad we chose The Elliott House Inn. The hotel is on Queen Street right between Meeting and King Streets so we felt that we were close to absolutely everything we wanted to do. We were most impressed with the beautiful courtyard with an abundance of flowers and water statues. We came down from our room and had wine and cheese there every evening from 5 to 6. They offered a red, blush, and white wine along with iced tea, crackers, cheese, and carrot cake slices. We thoroughly enjoyed that. The rooms are very nicely appointed with period antiques, a heavy toille bedspread (queen size bed), plantation shutters, and oriental rugs on the hardwood floors. While the room photo on the website appeared a bit dull, to our delight the room we stayed in was very cozy and inviting with warm colors of celery green, cream, and burgundy. The room was also immaculately clean. We liked that the bathroom had a very large vanity cabinet in which we could unpack our toiletries. The armoire also held the TV and a small closet on the other side for hanging clothes. We also enjoyed the complimentary bikes that were offered by the hotel. One of our bikes had a basket and we biked all over town and stowed our purchases in the basket. It allowed us to see much more of downtown Charleston than we would have been able to cover on foot alone. The daily breakfast was also quite charming. I am allergic to nuts and some fruits and the hotel staff was very eager to accommodate my food allergy, instructing me to make note of it on the door tag. Every morning we received a choice of english muffins and yogurt or danishes and fruit. The fruit was always extremely fresh and we enjoyed the other assortment of baked goods with hot tea and coffee, and the morning paper every morning. ABOUT THE STAFF: We found them to be extremely delightful and willing to assist us, no matter how ridiculous the question. They were very helpful in providing restaurant recommendations, making reservations, giving directions, translating the trolley schedule, and much more. The hotel also sells beautiful matted artist renderings of the building for $15, which was a nice souvenier of our stay. We would highly recommend The Elliot House Inn and plan to stay there again on our next trip to Charleston.

Great Place to Stay!!!

by TripAdvisor Member DarleneT

What a great place to stay!!! The Ellliott House Inn was everything I hoped it would be based on the reviews I read here and on other websites. Extremely clean rooms, great service, friendly and accommodating staff, nice courtyard, and the Inn is in the heart of the historic district within walking distance to everything. It is off Meeting street so you do not hear the traffic from the street - very peaceful place. They give their visitors complimentary wine, tea, cheese, and sweet bread every evening at 5:00p.m. This was nice to come back to after a long day of walking around the historic district. Poogan's Porch (2 doors down) and 82 Queen Retaurant (right next door) are located near the Elliott House Inn. I HIGHLY recommend this Inn to everyone! Another big plus is that the hotel is for grown ups only (no children) so the atmosphere is peaceful and enjoyable.

Perfect trip

by TripAdvisor Member becster10

I just got back from staying at the Elliott House Inn for my honeymoon. It was absolutely wonderful!! The staff was very nice and helpful. They have menus from different restaurants you can look at in the office. They bring you breakfast to your room every morning at the time you want it. The breakfast wasn't very big, but it was plenty for me and my husband. You get fruit, coffee, orange juice, and can choose between a pastry or english muffin and yogurt and granola. They had at least 20 bikes that you could use anytime you wanted. We didn't go ANYWHERE without riding the bikes and it was awesome b/c we covered the whole city and could get everywhere fast! After reading other reviews I was worried about the room size. However, we had a king size room and it was plenty big with a nice big canopy bed. The courtyard was very private and nice and at night they have white lights on all the plants and trees which is very romantic. I also loved the large hot tub to relax in at night. They have free wine, cheese, crackers, and sweet bread from 5-6pm in the courtyard every day and they have free lemonade and water out there all day. They turn down your bed and leave chocolates at night. I also only paid only $120/night- a lot of nice hotels in historic downtown are significantly higher priced. Oh, and parking is $13/day, but you are going to pay that anywhere you leave your car in downtown Charleston. The hotel is also right in the historic area, and it is the perfect location in the city. I can not say enough nice things about this Bed and Breakfast and would recommend it to everyone.

Good overall, but don't expect much from the breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member AWorldTraveler

Overall, this was a decent hotel experience. I say hotel because the Elliott House is really more akin to a hotel than a bed and breakfast. The breakfast was very skimpy--when they say "assorted pastries," what they mean is one small danish. And when they say "melange of fresh fruit," what you get is two tiny slices of orange. Our morning coffee was lukewarm at best and often cool. The presentation was nice, however (served on a silver platter).
Front desk was helpful and friendly. Go ahead and add $13 per day onto your room rate for parking across the street. Also, it seems that the parking garage is used by the courthouse as well, and during the day the only available parking spots may be on the very top floor.
The courtyard would have looked very nice....unfortunately, they were renovating one of the downstairs rooms while we were there and they left a mess outside. They pulled all of the furniture out of the room and left it in the courtyard, covered with a tarp for the entire 4 days we were there, right outside the surrounding guest rooms. It did not do much for the atmosphere and frankly looked kind of trashy.
We had a room with a queen sized bed. Unfortunately, our bed was extremely lopsided and leaned so bad on one side that we found it difficult to sleep. The hotel was booked, so it wasn't possible to be moved.
Wine and cheese in the afternoon is good, if you don't mind drinking your wine from a plastic Dixie cup.
Overall, I think the staff at Elliott House simply has some kinks to work out.

Comments