Embassy Suites Charleston

Hotels.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 109% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

The Castle of Charleston

I had a nice stay at the Embassy Suites hotel. I had a room on the 4th floor with a balcony in one of the 'castle' turrets that offered great views of downtown. The hotel lobby comes alive at 5:30 when the happy hour bar and the hors d'erves are availble.

Unique Quality: Can't miss it on Meeting St for it is shaped like a castle. In walking distance for exploring historic Charleston.

From the website:

The Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston hotel is located in the original Citadel Military College in Charleston, South Carolina. Our hotel is a grand restoration, and our building is even on the National Register of Historic Buildings.

Within walking distance of our upscale, all-suite Charleston hotel, you'll find:

Charleston Music Hall
    College of Charleston
    King Street Shopping District

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Stay in the old Citadel

The rooms are clean, some of them have red brick walls with timber in between some of the brick courses giving a unique historic feel. As with all Embassy Suites, they offer a FULL breakfast (Not just the continental) and a happy hour as well.

The service here is great and the staff are very accomodating.

It's a short walk to the bars and restaurants on King Street or further down meeting street. If the weather is nice you could probably walk all the way to the battery although it might be a little hike otherwise.

Unique Quality: It's in the old Citadel with the courtyard just outside. A very historic hotel that is probably overlooked by many. The architecture tries to evoke the images of the Citadel. Notice the towers in the courtyard that have steps leading to the various floors. Also, visit the "new" Citadel and note the parapets and battlements on the buildings that are also prevalent on the Embassy.

They've done a great job maintaining the character of the building while bringing it up to date for the guests.

Directions: On Meeting Street just past the visitor center.

• doug48's Profile Photo

good downtown location

this interesting hotel occupies the old south carolina military college, also known as the citadel. the old citadel was built in 1825 and was modified several times until the citadel moved to it's present location in the 1920's. embassy suites bought the property in the 1990's and turned it into a hotel. located next to marion square it is short walk to the attractions of the mazyck wraggborough and the ansonborough. the embassy suites hotel offers all the amenities of a business class hotel.

More about Embassy Suites Charleston

The perfect place in Charleston!

by TripAdvisor Member LoraBall

Let me begin by saying that I really researched this hotel before I booked our reservation. I wanted somewhere really historically significant and conveniently located for our visit to Charleston, SC and the Embassy Suites matched up perfectly. Initially I had reserved a room with a king size bed and after changes in our plans, I called and it was no problem to change it to two double beds instead. Check in time was 4:00 p.m., but after we arrived in Charleston early, I phoned ahead and a early check-in at 1:30 was no problem. The staff was all extremely polite and helpful, offering advice on visiting Charleston and tips and ideas for dining and entertainment in the town. The hotel was formerly the original Citadel and it was absolutely breathtaking! While there were some aspects of the hotel that couldn't be changed in order to preserve its historic integrity, the hotel was beautiful and charming, from it hard wood floors to its deep mahogany woodwork, it was perfection. Check-in and check-out were both simple and easy. Complimentary breakfast was easy and delicious. We really felt pampered and the hotel's location was perfect. It was fairly close to the downtown area, without the high prices the other hotels possessed. My next trip to Charleston will be booked here. We loved it!

Very Nice

The staff at this hotel is wonderful they treat you like you are their most important guest. We loved the common areas and the sound of the water fountain. The evening reception was also very nice.
The only thing I would recommend would be that they change the way they place and fill the omlete orders at breakfast. They didn't get any of our orders right on either day. However that did not ruin our stay. The man that was keeping the tables cleaned off during the breakfast was terrific, he was clearing away the plates as quickly as you were finished with them, without making you feel rushed.
The rooms are nice and clean and of the 10 plus hotels that we stayed at during our trip, this was the best.

Not Your Best Option

by TripAdvisor Member mariner5

Upon checking in we were quoted a price $30 above the price that we were given on the phone and had seen on the internet. Then when a manager agreed to honor the lower price we were given a dark single queen by the ice machine. We often stay at Embassy Suites Hotels and always have a king or two queens. The woman at the front desk was not friendly at all and I do not like to be told one thing on the phone (or internet) and then have the price jacked up when you show up in person. For the same price we stayed two nights at the Governor's House Inn a few blocks away, had wonderful service and a beautiful room with free parking.

Grest Choice in Charleston

Before I begin.. sorry for any miss spelled words. I really depend on spell check. We recently went to Charleston to celebrate my husbands birthday. We had a great time at this hotel. It is beautiful, elegant and very historic. Make sure you look at the historic artifacts they have in hte lobby as well as the pictures on the second floor.

If you make a reservation online or on the phone you are given a confimation number with a price for the room. Prices for hotel rooms or any other travel items can change daily so if someone was give a price over the phone without making a reservation, that would explain why the price had changed. I made my reservation via hilton[-] and everything was as they said it would be.

Enroll in hilton honors before you go. If you are a hilton honors member you can have vallet parking for $10 instead of $16 per day. The drivers were wonderful. We were there the weekend of the 4th of July so it was so busy. We would leave our keys at the front desk and our car at the front door and they would take care of it. Breakfest was wonderful as usually at an Em. Suites hotel. At night there was a comp managers reception. The food was nice and the drinks were good. One night they served this wonderful hot chicken dip with crackers.

Someone mentioned that this hotel seemed like a fort. Well that may be because before it was the hotel, it was the old citadel millatary college and before it was the old citadel it was THE FIRST FORT in Charleston. We stayed there because we wanted to stay somewhere we could possibly see or hear ghost stories. Hotel employees are not allowed to talk about any of these so if someone wants to know anything specific you can email me. I only had one wierd experience and that was the bathroom door opening while I was in the shower. I arrived a day earlier than my family because I was in town on business. This hotel is close enough to everthing that you can walk but far enough away to relax.

If you go on a ghost tour, I would recommend Bull Dog tours. They have exclusive rights to the old city jail and the only company that can walk through a grave yard at night. while you are taking the tour in the graveyard at night other companys are taking their guest to the gates to look inside. It is more educational than anything but even my youngest who is 7 loved to hear the stories. It is not too scary that a young one can go. You must do their old city jail tour before anything else. We did the ghost and graveyard, the dugeon and jail. We had many orbs in our pictures when we had them developed. If you are in to that sort of thing.. read the Ghost of Charleston before you go or feel free to email me.

One great place to eat lunch or dinner which is wonderful and very cheap is the Majestic Grill. It is located on the street behind the hotel. Leave the hotel take the rock path though the park. You will end up at a stop light with a water fountain. The grill is just about 1/4mile on right side of the road. They have the most wonderful subs and they all have theather type theme. They also deliver. We ate there several times. Eat at sticky fingers for ribs.. get the $19.99 sampler. You can make a reservation here so you do not have to wait in line. It is awesome. Also Bubba Gump is another great place to eat. They have great food and great drinkgs. There is also a nice water area that younger kids can play in while waiting for thier table.

Plan on visiting the market. We found some great jewerly prices... braclets 2 for $5. Charleston is a wonderful place to visit but very hot in the summer. Even though you are close to the ocean you miss a lot of the breeze. I will go back but it will be in the fall or spring just because my kids all complained about being hot when we were walking around.

Bed bugs are your companions for the evening

by TripAdvisor Member erejman

Based on the reviews posted here, I decided to book the Embassy Suites in Charleston for two nights to be relatively close to the centre of town.

The room was very, very dark (only one small window looking out onto a parking garage) and musty smelling which turned me off completely.

However, the BUGS that I found in my bed after the second night (explaining the blood stained sheets from the first night) really turned me off. For the $189 per night I spent, I was not interested in sharing my room with this type of creature and being bit in my sleep. The bugs were the final straw for a below standard room that was musty smelling, dark, had a rocking toilet, a shower head with only one setting, thin walls which meant you felt like elephants were jumping over your head throughout the night and a cold breakfast (the pancakes and bacon were frigid).

For what I was charged, I expect much better quality in my room. I would have been perfectly content to forgo the so called breakfast to order and managers reception for a clean bug free room.

Unfortunately, very disappointing and one hotel I cannot and will not recommend.

Think twice

Dark,dingy,moldy rooms. No windows,and very expensive.We also found a used band aid on the floor by the mini fridge,it was disgusting! We did not pick it up,and had housekeeping come and retrieve it.The worst part of all was no air conditioning!! We slept in an 80+ degree room for a whole night.There were no other rooms that were any cooler to offer us.It was awful! Never again.We were finally comped for the room,but it was not worth the experience!

What a Great Historical Place to stay!

After reading a few poor reviews about the Embassy Suites Charleston, I had my doubts about staying here. I almost cancelled our reservations. Realizing that some people are more particular than others I decided to not judge the suite based on previous reviews. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by some of the nicest people I have met. Everyone at the hotel graciously went out of their way to assist us. In previous reviews the rooms have been described as dark and moldy. The hotel is a Charleston historical landmark. It was once the Citadel and used as a fort. The Hilton’s have beautifully transformed this property into an interesting hotel that I found neither dark nor moldy. My daughter, who is 11, thought that this hotel was “the coolest ever” and my husband who is a history buff was in awe of the hotels past. The “made to order breakfast” was just that. Every morning we were greeted by the hotels staff and asked what we would like to eat. The manager called every evening to see if we needed anything and invited us down for the manger’s reception. The staff helped us with finding our way around town and suggested a few places that we should not miss. When we ventured out we found that our hotel was walking distance to major points of interest. In the evening we would arrive back at our room to find that our housekeeper had restocked us with clean towels, toiletries, and straightened up. We were never disappointed with the level of service that we received while staying at the Embassy Suites Charleston. It exceeded our expectations and I would definitely return. A few places that I would suggest visiting are Hyman’s Seafood (they had the best hushpuppies!), Sticky Fingers (the best ribs ever!), Southend Brewery (Awesome Shrimp and Grits!), and Jestine’s Kitchen (for down home cooking!). Fort Sumter was extremely interesting as was Middleton Plantation. Our trip to Charleston was the most enjoyable, relaxing vacation to date. The people of Charleston and the staff at the Embassy Suites were extremely polite and exemplified the meaning of “Southern Hospitality”.

Comments