3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

387 King Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29403, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• A bit of Luxury in Charleston

3 1/2 stars. I had a very nice stay at this hotel. We stayed for 3 nights, and our service was excellent. The lobby is beautifully decorated, with a large piano and and open space. The theme of the hotel is Francis Marion, and you'll find pictures of birds in every room (I suspect this is because of the Francis Marion National Forest.) The hotel is a bit historic... it was built in the early 1900's, and actually had to close down during an economic depression in Charleston in the 1980's. The hotel was reopened (and refurbished) in the 90's. The staff was very friendly.

Unique Quality: The beds were comfortable, there was a nice view of the northern part of the city from our room, and there is a spa and restaurant located inside.

Directions: Marion Square

More about Francis Marion Hotel

I was Disappointed

Unfortunately I have to agree with the reviewers that report disapointment with their stay at the Francis Marion Hotel. The hotel web site and brochure would have you believe that the hotel is a first class world quality hotel. It is likely that the hotel was a very nice place to stay 5 or so years ago, but it is clear that the current managers/owners have chosen to not operate or maintain the facility in accordance with these first class standards now. The carpets are worn, furniture was chipped, the paint is marred and lacks luster, and while the finishes are generally nice throughout, they are clearly very worn. It was really lots of small things (inlcuding the unkept look and unprofessionalism of the bellman and doormen, and unpollished brass elevator doors) that all added up to a less than expected stay. I would spend a few extra dollars and stay closer to the market area at other hotels such as Carolina Place that are in the historic district. I had high hopes and was clearly disappointed.

Very please with the hotel stay

I just returned from a two night stay at the Frances Marion Hotel. Before I went I read the reviews submitted. Our room was lovely, clean, with exquisite bed and bath linens. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We were on the tenth floor, overlooking the city, including many lovely church steeples. One of the reviews mentioned the church bells. On a tour we were told a nickname for Charleston is "the holy city". Why not enjoy the pealing of the bells! I would recommend the hotel with enthusiasm.

Spend Your $$ Elsewhere!

A childhood friend and I lef the west coast for our first trip to the South. We began in Atalanta, followed by Savannah, Hilton Head, and Charleston. Our hotels en route to Charleston were delightful so based on the Internet pictures and information, we could hardly wait to arrive at the Francis Marion, an upscale historic hotel. What a disappointment: torn wallpaper, a leaky toilet with rust on the floor, chipped bathtub--you get the picture. I asked for a change to a renovated room. The front desk willingly replied and even had our bags moved to our "new" room. Imagine our disappointment when the next room we entered was almost a mirror image of what we left. Only this time the beds were next to the air-donditioner so we had to use our pillows as a fort to protect us from the cold, but desperately-needed air. My call to the front desk this time went unattended. If you have $150-175 to spend on a hotel, spend it elsewhere.

Stay Away, Far, AWAY

My girlfriend and I went for 4th of July weekend. Upon check-in the room we reserved was unavailable. When we arrived to the room they gave us we opened the door and there was barely enough room to turn around, maybe 10 x 10. We went back to the front desk to get another room. The second room was still not what we reserved and then given a third room the second night when the A/C unit gave out. We suffered through that night and had to get another room for which we were finally in for our last night in Charleston. The A/C still did not work properly in our final room. Our whole trip was moving from one bad room to the next. Although the hotel did move us when problems arose who wants to pack and unpack their luggage 3 times? Please if you are going to Charleston do not stay here unless you will be satisfied with a muggy, musty, tiny accommodations with extremely small bathrooms, unable to accommodate one person. Stay away, stay far away.

Stay Away!

Stay away! We had our daughter's wedding reception at the Francis Marion, things promised not done, air conditioner did not work, rooms in bad repair and small, reservations can't get it right either......save your money! Stay away!

Mediocre

by TripAdvisor Member flatironjake

The negative reviews are fairly accurate. My chief complaint was the air conditioning which was pretty lousy. The decor is nothing special and the bathroom was tiny. I made a blind reservation via hotwire for a cheap price, so I'm not as upset as I might otherwise be.

User Friendly for tourist

by TripAdvisor Member Behind_Corn_Curtain

We took advantage of this hotel, in order to add two extra days to our vacation. We found that the staff was professional, while the lobby was a nice surprise, since it is a throw-back to older (hotel) times. Yes, the room was of only average size, and had a small toilet, but was clean with a nice view of a town square. More important to us was the good location, since it is within walking distance to some interesting tourist spots, as well as some good shopping and restaurants. We had an excellent breakfast that was located just one block west in a small place that I believe was called the Bookshelf. Yes, you can get a larger and more modern room elsewhere in the suburbs, but if you want the convenience of being near-by to downtown Charleston sites, this hotel is recommended.
July 17 & 18, 2004

Not that bad at all!

by TripAdvisor Member abgstat

No problems with the air conditioner, the bathroom had enough space, and we didn't mind the small amount of mildew on the walls---considering the heat and humidity of beautiful Charleston! The staff was most courteous and helpful, especially when the resident ghost didn't want us in the room (had to get the staff to open our room for us on 4 different occasions, but when we left to check out, I had to try the key once more---and the ghost let it work! :) (he knew we were leaving!)
Enjoy your stay!