116 Broad Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• Ruined our Honeymoon and Christmas...not recommend

We checked into the John Rutledge grand suite for a 5 night stay on Christmas Eve, December 24th for our honeymoon. We were charged nearly $400 per night for this suite. The website pictures show a room that is brand new; however, these pictures are a lie. We checked into the George Washington Suite. The room looked old and not as the website showed. The couches and chairs in the sitting room looked ragged and dirty. The pull out couch was broken and not opperational. The sitting chair in the bedroom was ivory but was obviously dirty from use. After a few minutes of sitting in the bed my throat closed up and my eyes were red and watering. After inspecting the canopy bed, the fabric all around the bed was yellow with mold, and looked as if it had not been cleaned in years.

Our stay at John Rutledge lasted 2 hours, and they had the audacity to charge us a $125 cleaning fee.

The innkeepers response to the deplorable condition of the room was simply "it is a 250 year old inn...what did you expect?"

So I would like all reviewers to be aware that this inn is not what it appears to be. Also, I would like to note that our room was literally 5 steps from the front door, the manager's desk was on the wall outside were our bed was, so all the conversation taking place outside was audible in the room, and the stairs creaked each time people walked up and was very noisy when sitting in the bed.

So if you would like to stay at an overpriced, run-down inn...this is the perfect place for you. Just make sure you do not have any allergies because you will definitely need to see a doctor after being here for a few hours.

Needless to say our honeymoon, and Christmas was nearly ruined due to this! My husband is active duty military and we will probably not have another Christmas' together for a few years. Forturnatley, I was able to find a different, beautiful bed and breakfast that night.

I would never return to this inn, and would caution anyone from wasting their money at this inn!!

Unique Quality: Moldy, dirty, and run-down inn

More about John Rutledge House Inn

A wonderful hotel and a fantastic experience!

by TripAdvisor Member edt622

After reading many reviews of the John Rutledge House on this website and comparing them to numerous other hotels, my mom, sister and I chose to stay here for a 4-day trip to celebrate mom's 70th birthday. This was a big deal because we're spread across the country and don't get to spend time together often. We wanted everything to be perfect for mom, and the acommodating, attentive staff at John Rutledge House made sure it truly was! We stayed there from 9/7/06 - 9/10/06 and HIGHLY recommend this hotel!
We had originally booked a room in the carriage house, but due to noisy construction going on at a nearby property, they told us upon our arrival that we would be staying on the garden level of the main house instead (the rooms are pretty, but a little dark). We asked what else they had available, and the manager, Erin, offered us the Elizabeth Grimke room (Suite 6) on the 2nd floor for just slightly more $, which was extremely reasonable and kind of them. The room was lovely and sunny and mom was thrilled. The staff was extremely friendly, and helped us set up all our planned activities and dinner reservations. A delicious breakfast arrived at our door every morning and we enjoyed the afternoon drinks/hors d'oevres on the ballroom balcony. The hotel is beautifully restored and very clean. DO bring ear plugs for sleeping, however, because the stairs are squeaky and people are walking on them as early as 7 am. Also, rent a car for sure-- it will be invaluable in getting around to see the plantations, beaches, etc. Rutledge House is fairly close to the restaurants on East Bay road, and you could walk the few blocks, but we drove to dinner every night. There's a good-sized parking lot behind the hotel for a small fee. (Finding parking in downtown Charelston can be tough, however).
Overall a fantastic trip and a wonderful experience at the John Rutledge House! We are very grateful to Erin and the entire staff for making the difference on this memorable trip!!

Not Great

by TripAdvisor Member Puppielove

I expected the John Rutledge Inn to be an above-average property given its 4-star rating. I found several things lacking.
The reception desk looked more like a cluttered office area and was a bad first impression. Common areas looked worn and stains on the wallpaper up the stairs should have been cleaned. Our room looked like a standard "colonial themed" hotel room with a king-sized bed. The bath was dated with awful towels and the tile in the shower was not shiny clean. Even the unit for heat/AC was dirty with dust clogging the vents. Breakfast arrived on time and covered in plastic wrap. The table where breakfast was eaten was way too small and we had to keep our coffee pot on the floor. Food choices were ok but not great...muffins, cereal, biscuits...all things that could be assembled hours before. For an extra charge of $9 and higher we could've ordered a hot breakfast which we declined.
Tea served in the afternoon looked like an afterthought. It was not beautifully presented but served as free coffee is presented at motels. Linens were unpressed and the tables used still had chairs in place.
The port and sherry on the sideboard were a nice thought but the decanturs were sticky. It was as if tea and cordials were put out by staff and not hosts. A B&B should have a personal touch and there was none; it was run more like a motel.

One of a kind B&B

by TripAdvisor Member UofM1970

WHat a wonderful and relaxing way to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary! We stayed in rm. 6 and loved the room. It had a great tempur pedic bed with a canopy. The fireplace works and it was amazing. Breakfast was on time and you can eat it in the ballroom,bedroom, or courtyard. We had ours in the ballroom and it was so fun. Tables are set up to enjoy breakfast in the ballroom. My husband was up every morning reading the paper that was left @ our door while drinkink hot tea in the ballroom. The staff was very accomodating and helped make dinner reservations each night. The front desk staff was very friendly and had a great deal of knowledge about the city and the plantation tours. All the reastaurants are w/in a couple of blocks from the hotel, which is a great location. Our room was immaculate, bathroom was in great shape too. The tea and snacks were served in the ballroom and it was a great way to meet and talk w/ other guests who are staying there. I cannot wait to return and would highly recommend this historic hotel to anyone. The brandy served in the evening was a great way to top of an amazing meal. The bellmen were very helpful and met us in the parking lot to assist with carrying the luggage. Wonderful hotel!!

Great Southern Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Buckeye1980

We stayed one evening in the John Rutledge House Inn as a part of a week long adventure to visit friends and other historical sites. We wished we would have planned to stay longer. The service was incredible. Staff person Elizabeth B. was so knowlegeable about the Inn and the different restaurants and area attractions. We really appreciated her recommendations and arrangements for a carriage ride through downtown Charleston and information about nearby plantations.
The Inn provided detailed information about John Rutledge and the other previous owners of the home. This was the first time we have had the opportunity to actually stay in a historic site. If you are an American history buff, you will be in heaven. We loved being in the downtown residential district. We were able to walk to many other significant sites, homes and gardens.
The rooms were beautiful, spacious and spotless. We loved the tempur-pedic bed. Tea in the afternoon was delicious. The choice of having breakfast in your room, in the ballroom or in the outdoor courtyard was great, it was hard to choose. A good variety of items to choose from for breakfast. You select by a menu the night before so it is ready quickly when you let them know you are ready.
The website is well done. Has great pictures, is accurate, and provides all of the information you need. We would highly recommend.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member GreenvilleSC

First time ever at a B&B and it was an extremely pleasing experience; from check-in to check-out. The staff (Elisabeth and Erin) were courteous, efficient, and very knowledgable about the hisrory of the Inn, points of interest, tours, and dining. Lunch and dinner suggestions by Elisabeth proved to be excellent with very good menu selections, reasonable prices and great food. The room was clean, neat, and had a comfortable bed. The grounds were well maintained and clean. We spent some time in the courtyard just setting there talking with another couple and enjoying the ambiance. Breakfast was continential style with numerous items and served on time. You have the option of dining in the ballroom, your room, or the courtyard. There is a "tea" served each afternoon in the ballroom. We had a choice of tea, lemonade, and three types of goodies from a local restaurant, all great. We enjoyed tea on the adjacent balcony overlooking Broad Street. In the evening, port, sherry, and brandy were available in the ballroom (no charge). In the quiet of the evening we sampled the offerings while looking through albums of the Inn's history. Quiet, cozy, comfortable; now, if only it had been cold enough for a fire in the fireplace................................

A true B&B

by TripAdvisor Member mary1956

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the John Rutledge House Inn in March. The staff made us feel so special. We returned from dinner on the first night of our stay to find the lights in our room dimmed, a romantic CD playing and a complimentary bottle of champagne and card congratulating us. We were pleasantly surprised at how well we slept. The mattress, which we later learned is a tempur-pedic, was great. After a leisurely breakfast in our room, the croissants are incredible; we headed out to take a walking tour that was arranged by the Concierge. What more could you ask for. We can’t wait to return to celebrate my birthday in November.

John Rutledge House A Treasure

by TripAdvisor Member JakeBlanche

The hotel is beautiful in every detail. The staff from the inn keeper to room service was the best.

Will definitely stay there again. This is Charleston in every way.

Staying at the John Rutledge was a real treat. In fact we extended our stay.

Somewhere in Time!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member petziAtlanta

From the minute we stepped through the door, we were transported back in time. The Inn is absolutely beautiful and the service is outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea and snacks and enjoyed meeting the other guests and sharing our adventures from that afternoon. We stayed in the old carriage house and it was beautiful and very private (and intimate). The staff went out of their way to help us with dinner reservations, directions, etc. We also enjoyed breakfast in the courtyard each morning and relaxing before heading out to explore Charleston. We would love to stay at the John Rutledge House Inn again the next time we visit Charleston.

Would stay again in a heartbeat

by TripAdvisor Member vacationerBoston

I stayed in room 16, on the first floor of one of their two "carriage houses". I was concerned at first about being on floor one, but heard no noise from above at all.

Things I loved about my room:

*The huge king sized 4 poster canopied Tempurpedic bed
*The size of the room, very spacious, a breakfast table with two chairs, a chaise and a small TV hidden away in an armoire (which I did not turn on once). Roomy closet with iron/ironing board.
*Large spotless bathroom with Gilchrist and Soames bath products. The BEST soap, one side was exfoliating. One of the nicest touches I thought was a small baggie with cotton balls and Q-tips.
*Small fridge which was stocked each day with two bottles of water.
*Dark chocolate on the pillows at turndown
*Room darkening shades

The room was nicely decorated in an antique reproduction way. Be aware that the carriage houses are newer so not as "historical" as staying in the main house, but I absolutely loved it.

You choose what time and where you would like to eat breakfast, either in your room, the courtyard, or the "ballroom". Breakfast did not include eggs etc unless you wanted to pay extra. I had a croissant, coffee and juice the first AM, and Rutledge bisquit with hot sherried fruit (delicious) the 2nd AM. I ate in the courtyard, and it was so nice to sit outside. Maurice from the kitchen was just so pleasant. It was very peaceful.

There is an afternoon "tea" in the big ballroom from 4-6 with port/sherry and some snacks from their sister restaurant. The innkeeper Kathleen was very cordial, asking everyone if they needed any help with dinner reservations etc.

A couple of minor issues: One was that the service was a bit cold when I arrived. I was immediately asked for my credit card. He then warmed up a bit and asked how my trip was etc. I was given misinformation about where the Ft. Sumter tour left from, fortunately I noticed it before I arrived at the wrong pier. Also, a wake up call I requested never happened, I didn't oversleep, but still. Finally, directions to a beach were a bit off, the printed copy they gave me was correct, but the person at the desk had crossed one part out thinking it was wrong, but it wasn't.

Those were minor issues, and I would certainly stay there again in a heartbeat. I loved the quiet location, near the King St. antique shops, close to everything for the most part. I did take a rickshaw to the the Liberty Square dock and back.

TripAdvisor classifies the Inn as a B&B, but it is, as one person noted, more like a small hotel, but definitely with a B&B feel, with the ballroom and innkeeper etc, but not quite the same as an owner onsite and the full cooked breakfast that B&B clients may be used to.

Parking is out back and $10.00 per night.

I highly recommend staying here. I enjoyed it immensely.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member AltantaTraveller

We stayed one night at the John Rutledge and would come again. The staff is super friendly and helpful. It was a rainy day, so we needed lots of advice on what to do and where to go. They went out of their way to help and even lent us an umbrella so we weren't cooped up inside.

A great night's sleep on those foam mattresses that I always try out at Brookstone's. Too many b&b's are long on atmosphere and short on comfort. This was a large room with great practical furnishings.

Breakfast was wonderful! One of the best muffins I have ever tasted. I so wanted to eat out on the patio, but the continuing rain kept us indoors. Next time, I hope to visit on a sunny day.

Comments