225 E Bay St, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

LHW.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• Great structure! Terrible service!

please leave we have party soon! Don't get me wrong the hotel is beautiful! Staff just seem a little burnt out and been in the business to long!

Unique Quality: I'm been in the service industry my entire life and this was by far not the worst defiantly close for the money I spent. Don't expect to get any kind of service at the roof top pool to you lounge chair but the bartenders were half way decent. But the people including the head women walking around in charge of private parties are extremely rude move furniture loudly around paying guests at the pool basically saying

• VaCarrera's Profile Photo

One of the best in Charleston

This is one of the best places to stay in Charleston. If you can afford it, the terrace suite has a great patio overlooking Market Street with an incredible view of the bridge and the harbour, and a power operated retractable awning for the summer sun. The rooftop bar/restaurant/swimming pool has some of the best views in town, this is the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night! One of the best locations in town, right on the corner of Market and East Bay St.

• Rushland's Profile Photo

Right in the Middle of Everything

The Market Pavlion is one of the newest hotels in Charleston, so everything is brand new. The bathrooms are Italian or Grecian marble, the linens are Frette, etc. The location is great, it's right smack in the middle of downtown Charleston. Almost everything is within short walking distance from the hotel.

Unique Quality: The hotel has one of the few rooftop bars/ restaurants in Charleston. But it's the only rooftop bar with a pool. It has great views of Market St and the water.

More about Market Pavilion Hotel

Weird policies at the Market Pavillion hotel

by TripAdvisor Member guillermohoter

Great location and building. Nice decorated rooms,baths and open pool. If you plan to come back froma a hot day excursion be sure to be at hotel before 4PM because the pool is closed after that! No free PC for guests in need of internet access. "Breakfast" consists only of self served coffe,juices and danish on a table at elevatorĀ“s lobby of each floor. If you are for more, you need order room service. No minibars in-room. If you need a Coke at 11PM room service will bring it for 11 US$ a glass ! Nice place, badly managed. Better book at Planters Inn.

Night Out-Downtown

by chasnative

Charleston has much to offer when it comes to night life. Locals find it hard to recommend places because our city has so much to offer. This is a favorite itinerary for visiting friends.

Start with a sunset drink at the Market Pavillion Hotel Rooftop Pool Bar. The hotel sits on the corner of Market and East Bay, go through the lobby and take the elevator to the top. Don't let the "pool" part fool you. This is an upscale, well dressed crowd and the view is awesome.

Have supper along East Bay: High Cotton, Cypress, or Blossom to name a few choices. Be sure to make a reservation regardless of what you choose.

After your remarkable meal, take a walk to Waterfront Park. Head to Squeeze on East Bay for after dinner cocktails. This narrow bar (hence the name) is non smoking and always has a lively crowd.

If you want dancing later climb the stairs to Light or for a live band Wild Wing Cafe.

Would stay again!

by TripAdvisor Member Knows

Our familty flew in from around the country to meet for a long weekend in Charleston. We had five rooms in the hotel. Our check in experience was smooth and easy. Each room was appointed with fresh furnishings, clean crisp linen and tailored with attention to detail by the hotel housekeeping staff. I really appreciated the tea and coffee service on the lower floors. Some of us stayed on the concierge floor and were delighted with the food made available at breakfast and tea time. One afternoon's offerings included, oysters rockefellar, scallops wrapped in bacon, seafood canapes, spring rolls, cheese and fruit platter along with wine, soda and bottled water.
The location is central and convenient which gives you the ability to easily walk to different areas of the city. We arranged for a carriage tour of the city and they accommodated us with pick up in the front of the hotel. The city's Historical Preservation Society organizes home and garden tours that we especially enjoyed one evening.
Our dining experience in the hotel's restaurant, 225 Grill, was perfect. The staff is, once again, professional and eager to please. The menu has a vast selection. I had the crab stuffed blue prawns which were wonderful. For dessert, I had the chocolate moussecake and would highly recommend it to all chocolate lovers. Be warned; the portions are large.
During the day, we enjoyed the hotel's rooftop pool and dining. They also did well with their menu selection and the food was great. I understand it can get pretty crowded up there at night, but being down in the room, I did not notice nor was I bothered by it.
I would recommend the Market Pavilion Hotel to anyone staying in Charleston that wants a first class experience.

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member uwis66

We stayed recently at the Market Pavilion and would recommend it highly to anyone visiting Charleston. We had a luxurious 3rd floor corner king junior suite, which had 4 big windows -- 2 fronting Market Street and 2 fronting East Bay Street. We could see the water. There was NO noise problem. The room itself was large and beautifully furnished. The bathroom was gloriously large and modern (lots of marble). The hotel's location is ideal -- within walking distance of everything you want to see. We had debated between the Market Pavilion and the Charleston Palace and were very happy we chose Market Pavilion.

Always a pleasure

I travel to Charleston about 6-8 times per year and always stay at the Market Pavilion. For frequent business travellers this hotel is a joy to stay at and a welcome change to most of the other hotels that I stay in. It is a small, intimate hotel that focusses on understated but excellent service. The rooms are tasteful, calming and well equipped with fabulous bathrooms and free high speed internet. The hotel is a stones throw from (in my opinion) the 2 best restaurants in Charleston, High Cotton and SNOB and the hotels rooftop bar is the greatest way to begin an evening in Charleston.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cmoye

We recently visited the Market Pavilion during the last week of December 05 and have no real complaints. Rooms were very nice, however, if a view is important to you, this is probably not the hotel for you. Staff very helpful and friendly. Location was very central to all areas of the historical district. We walked everywhere we needed to go. We had New Years Eve dinner in Grill 225, food was good, but felt a bit rushed with the courses. It appeared there were 3 seatings for that night and we were in and out of there in 1 hour. When we experience fine dining, I do not like to feel rushed. Service was good, just too quick! We loved the Pavilion Bar, view was the best and even though the nights were cool, the heaters made it comfortable. Great service up there. Would definetly stay here again, but my favorite is still Harbourview.

Very Nice Stay...Just a Few Kinks

by TripAdvisor Member cd717

After a miserable time of trying to get to Charleston for a long weekend full of canceled flights, etc., we arrived at the Market Pavilion and breathed a sigh of relief as we saw how pretty the lobby of the hotel and Grill 225 really was. The pictures on the hotel website just don't do it justice.

Anyway, we were upgraded to a Concierge Level (4th floor) room, because they had sold out of the Luxury King we booked. I believe the lack of rooms was a miscommunication between management and guest services (we originally did not think we would make it to Charleston that night, which we told guest services, but corrected with management).

The room was great and the full breakfast every morning was a plus. Our stay in general was very nice and Grill 225 was a good place to eat. The restaurant Anson though, was by far the best place we ate in Charleston.

The Pavilion Bar was probably the best place we had drinks while we were staying in Charleston. I'm sure it's one of the nicer hotel bars and definitely worth checking out even if you are staying somewhere else.

So remember that Concierge Level King? Well, when we checked out we were charged for it. After about 20 minutes (mind you we were trying to get to the airport on time) the charges were fixed.

Again, just a few kinks during a very pleasurable stay. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel.

Charleston SC

by grasshopper_6

"A night on the town"

So we, we being my old school buddies from 20+ years ago, Steve Dave and Mike and myself, decided we were going downtown. Steve and Dave live here, so I count on them to steer me in good directions.
We started early, around 5. It was a friday, so street parking was still pretty full. We found space in a city lot without too much trouble and set off walking.
None of the clubs seemed very busy yet. We went into the first bar we came to which was...

Moes - 5 Cumberland st. Charleston SC 29401 (843) 577-8500 - sports bar. Decent wings and $2.00 red stripes, not bad. Next stop...

Aromas - 50 N Market st (843)723-9588 - Small bar with some asian style appetizers - I remember the pot stickers and lettuce wraps were excellent. There was a live blues duo who were really quite good. Moving on, the next place was

The Crab Shack - 295 E Bay St (843) 853-8600. It was a restaraunt actually, not a bar and they had a long wait. We ordered a drink and talked the hostess into letting us go up to the roof dining area. The sun was starting to set and it was a nice view. We must have been getting little loud as I noticed several diners' eyebrows raised in our direction so I thought we'd better go. Before we went back down I spotted another rooftop bar just down the block. and so it became the next destination...

The Pavillion - Rooftop bar located atop the Market Pavillion Hotel
225 E Bay rd (843) 723-0500. A little more upscale, a little trendier. Pool deck, tonga torches and little black dresses here. Even the occasional tie and jacket. Appetizers were pricey so I didn't. Mikey ordered some ceviche which was about average. We met some girls that Steve and Mike knew and stayed to talk for a while.

we must have been up there a while. When we went back out into the street things had picked up considerably. People walking all over, live music coming from every direction, beautiful women everywhere. Steve told me the ration here in Charleston was around 2 1/2 girls to every guy. That would be great news for a young guy on the pull. It was a nice thing to see even for us old guys. Now I know where all the women have been hiding all these years. Next stop...

Henry's 54 Market St (843) 723 - 4363. Really fun club. three floors I think with live music and dancing on the second. The band was a trio this time - played a contemporary mix of stuff. There were also very good.

Getting hungry, so made a stop at Pizzeria de Giovanni, 40 Market st. The slices were huge - as big as half a pizza - and good! one more bar...

Amen Street Raw Bar - 205 E Bay st. A restaraunt, but the kitchen had closed. The bar was doing a pretty brisk busines though. We got a table outside to watch the people. Just manges to finish our beers before they started taking up the sidewalk chairs.

A great night on the town. A little drunk and, just maybe, a little hung over the next day. Not bad though. I can't wait until fall when I'll be back and we'll hopefully do it all again!

Comments