Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast

5 East Battery, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

More about Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast

A Little Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member karenmi

Our primary reason for choosing the Palmer Home was it's outstanding view of the Charleston harbor. And we were well rewarded in this area. We enjoyed returning to the house at the end of each day's sightseeing for a glass of wine (although being from the wine area of CA we were disappointed in the selection) and converstation with fellow guests on the piazza. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast satisfying and the bed comfortable.

We stayed in the large King room which has direct access to the piazza and it's own tiny in-room bathroom. The room was clean, but unfortunately it was sadly worn and dark. The window air conditioner was noisy, but the room had a ceiling fan that worked adequately at this time of the year since it wasn't too hot or humid. The bathroom sink was cracked and the toilet wiggled when one sat on it. There was a TV in the room, but other than the bed, there was no comfortable spot from which to watch it. It's hard to explain. Effort to accommodate guests is obviously there, but they don't quite have it right. I am of the opinion that B&B owners should stay a night or two in each of the rooms of their establishment to see what's working and what needs improvement. This is one of those instances. With a some fine tuning, the guest's experiences could be greatly improved.

My greatest complaint was that late one night there were several young people running up & down the attic stairs that were next to our room. They stopped just about the time my husband was ready to get up and complain. Upon discussing it at breakfast the next morning with the couple in the room next to ours (on the other side of the stairs) we found out that he had gotten up and spoken to them.

The Palmer Home has obviously seen better days, but if you're looking for a terrific view, a friendly & helpful staff and the experience of staying in a truly historical home, then this might just be the spot for you. I guess the best way that I can describe our stay is to compare it to my favorite old slippers......I sure do would like a nice new pair that are as comfortable as my old shabby ones.

View from the balcony - superb!

by TripAdvisor Member blondie432

Everyone has a different opinion about where they stay. Let me begin with saying, my husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Palmer home. It is what it is! 150 year old historic home, if you are looking for modern updated rooms, stay at the Marriott! This is in the historic district with a fantastic view of the harbor that is not matched anywhere along the battery! Third floor suite with a door that walked out on to the porch that looks over the harbor was where we stayed. Sat in the rocking chairs by the end of the balcony and watched the harbor lights and drank wine at night!
Hot breakfast in the mornings, be sure and eat on the porch with the morning sun shining on you. Private parking behind a gate on property. A great comfortable bed, big bathroom (shower was a little tricky) If they updated this house it would not have the character it has now. The antiques, staircases and all the many rooms are part of its charm. Great location in the district, you can walk or take cabs if you don't want to get your car out, also the trolley goes alot of places. Just think about all the generations over the centuries that have walked the halls in this beautiful house - alot of great history. You don't get this at the Holiday Inn or the Marriott!

A wonderful place to stay!

The location couldn't be better. The staff is friendly, helpful, gracious. The home is lovely, with beautiful furnishings-silver, crystal, china, and furniture. The afternoon "tea time" was a good way to meet other guests.

We will certainly stay at the Palmer Home when we return to Charleston

Bedbugs...need I say more?

by TripAdvisor Member Travlinblond

A family member made a reservation at the Palmer Home B & B following research by a Charleston native looking for a dog-friendly place for three adults (plus dog) during the Spoleto Festival. I was very much looking forward to this stay, having seen the lovely Palmer House along East Battery during my last visit to Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto. I did check with Tripadvisor before the trip, observed mixed reviews but a very satisfactory-sounding owner rebuttal, and we went ahead with our visit.

The deal-breaking problem we encountered was bedbugs, not in the main building, but in the downstairs and one of the upstairs bedrooms of the carriage house. Once we realized that the itching we were suffering might be a bedbug problem, we searched the bedclothes for evidence, and found the telltale insect feces. I've read the response from Palmer Home regarding its policy of fumigating the premises, but only throwing out the bed and upholstered furniture in the carriage house is going to rid the property of this problem.

We also found ants in several places in the carriage house, including climbing on furniture. Upon arrival, we found chocolate and other food on the floor in the building. (Because it is so difficult to find a dog-friendly hotel during Spoleto, we remained in the carriage house, despite an ever-growing list of concerns.) We can understand an occasional palmetto bug in a ground floor room just off the pool, but the ants and especially the bedbugs were completely unacceptable.

Additionally, although pet-friendly accomodations are valued greatly by our dog-loving family, we found that the residents and staff do not pick up after their three dogs and many cats. We always carry bags to properly dispose of this smelly and unsightly waste, and would think that anyone running any sort of B & B or guesthouse would certainly do the same on their property.

Because we often stay in budget accomodations both in the States and in Europe, we were quite willing to put up with the hodge podge of mismatched furniture and small issues -- wobbly toilet seat, a cobweb on the heating unit in the king bedroom, a door which wouldn't fully close in the king bedroom, a whole list of small things which, added together, showed that basic maintenance wasn't happening here. And some things were fine -- breakfast was OK, the veranda and view from the main building lovely, everyone was quite friendly -- but, given the problems with bugs and outdoor animal droppings, I would never, ever stay here again.

Loveliest Charleston stay... ever!

by TripAdvisor Member TwoWheelTours

My husband and I just stayed in the suite and we were utterly delighted. I have stayed in many fine hotels, inns and B&B's throughout the South. This has to be one of my favorites.
I looked at a few of the other reviews and must say that I don't understand the criticism. I found the property to be impeccable, from the lovely period furniture to the friendly, helpful staff to the breathtaking views from the breezy piazzas. Its such a thrill to me to see a place restored with this kind of loving attention to detail. To be able to stay in such a place is a wonderful experience.
I'm rather floored by the value this place represented as well. For under $200 at the height of the tourist season in the South's most charming city, we had a three-room suite (including the large bathroom), with direct access to the piazza, wine and cheese in the evening and a wonderful, full breakfast. Honestly, I just don't see how you could do any better!

Awful, smelly, dirty ...

by TripAdvisor Member PakaFD

This B&B was very appealing by pictures online and even by riding by. But after checking in my husband and I were very disappointed. We checked into the king room on the second floor. The smell in the stairway and 2nd floor was unbearable, the pool had green walls, a dead rodent on the entrance sidewalk with flies hovering, the bathroom was litterly in a SMALL closet with the toliet crooked - smelly - cracked - torn - dirty linoleum flooring, dirty 2'x2' shower in small closet in closet with 6' ceiling, loud window unit, dirty moldy walls. Needless to say, after one hour of checking in, we asked for a refund. My husband and I aren't complaining crabby people, but the smell was physically sickening. We were given a refund without any resistance. Then we were left to ride around Charleston and find a new B&B to stay at. We then checked into the Governor's House and were completely satisfied.

great inn!

by TripAdvisor Member jesscopland

We had a wonderful time at the Palmer Home. The inn's location and views are fabulous. The entire staff was deligtful and eager to please. We enjoyed the beautiful porches with harbor views. Breakfast was great every morning. Would stay there again for sure!

Great Location but that is all...

by TripAdvisor Member eyefordetail

Fawlty Towers would be akin to this place, obviously a great locationon the southern tip of Old Charleston; but worn and tattered - with plumbing and heating out of the 1940s. Terminally shoddy, with broken blinds, ancient soiled bedspreads and remains of previous guests evident in the rooms and common spaces. With a little effort the facilities wouldn't look so unkempt and uncared for. From a lawn full of dog excrement (inside the gated property) to clearly un-vacummed rooms, it seems the family/owners satisfied to lord over their crumbling manse in their own version of southern hospitality. The Palmer familys private rooms are on the ground floor, and are open to public view and exhibit the same indifference to cleaning up after themselves, shame on you.

Having walked in and out of some of the competing properties in the neighborhood this was definately the pits!

Very Bad Experience

by TripAdvisor Member awright901

I'm not even sure where to begin, my experience there was so bad. First, the rooms are very run down and dirty. The room I stayed in was appalling, Two of the lights were burned out; the sheets and pillows looked worn and old; the decorations on some of the cabinets was pealing off. Even the furniture was worn, tattered and dirty. I actually cut my stay short because I was so disappointed by how different this place looks in person than it does on their web site. I would never recommend that anyone stay at the Palmer Home B&B.

A charming stay in Charleston

by TripAdvisor Member blackjava1964

My husband and I started a week long journey that would start in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, and end in Charleston / Beaufort, S.C. I booked this trip months ago and picked two B&B’s from internet research. I did not read any reviews of either place and only stumbled upon Tripadvisor.com a week before we were to leave.

I was absolutely sick to my stomach after reading the reviews here on the Palmer Home! I didn’t want to go, and was mad at myself for not doing a better job with the research. My husband and I talked it over and decided that we would go with an open mind and worst case, we would leave if it was as bad as we feared it may be.

Well, here’s to having an open mind!! We arrived at the Palmer Home at 4:00 in the afternoon. It was VERY hot and humid outside and we were tired after a 7 hour drive that started in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Kristen (the innkeeper) greeted us and helped us load our luggage onto the elevator. We went inside and climbed the stairs of this magnificent house to the grand first floor. Pink lemonade, ice water, and lots of home baked goods were waiting for us weary travelers. The main room is difficult to describe and give it justice. High ceilings, antique furniture, and the feel of royalty filled the air.

YES – the house is VERY old and it does not have central air. The window A/C’s did a perfect job of cooling the place and my husband and I could have cared less HOW the place got cooled. We were just grateful that it was. Our room was on the upper floor and we climbed the second grand stair case to get there. I booked the “front room” and it had a second room that was in the front of the home. It was a semi circle porch that was floor to ceiling windows, with a double bed and small fridge in it. The view of the Atlantic was beyond spectacular.

Our bathroom was across the hall, but it was private. It was a very large bathroom with a claw foot tub and stand up shower. The plumbing is very old, but we thought it added to the charm of the place. The only thing I had a hard time with in the bathroom was the lighting isn’t great. Not a big deal though, as the bedroom had a mirror and plenty of good light.

We both thought the place was clean and I didn’t see even one bug. We made friends with two other groups of guests and I had told them about what I read here. We all had breakfast on the piazza together our final (and second) morning. Nobody had even one complaint. We all loved the place. By the way - the breakfast was wonderful too! There was a buffet of grits, raisin bread, eggs with cheese, bacon, biscuits, coffee, juice, and desserts!

Upon check out I let Kristen know that I had come there with trepidation. I felt bad for her because she really cares about the guests and the home. She said how frustrating it is to take phone calls from potential guests who are asking about what has been written here. It’s hard to defend because the person on the other end can’t see the place. Yes, it’s old. Yes, it could probably use a paint job. Yes, the plumbing is old and some of the furniture is worn (because it is antique). But it is NOT, and I repeat NOT dirty. There were NO bugs! What are all these other people talking about???? I can only come to the conclusion that they thought they were checking into a NEW building that was trying to be old. If that is what you are looking for, do not stay here.

I could go on and on forever, but the bottom line is that the Palmer Home was a wonderful and romantic place for my husband and I to stay. In addition to the home being located on the famous East Battery, it is within easy walking distance to the market, waterfront, and all the wonderful restaurants. We parked our car and walked for the two days we stayed there. It was our first trip to Charleston and we can’t wait to go back. When we do return, we will not even give it a second thought to stay at the Palmer Home. As I said, I could go on forever, but instead will welcome ANYONE who wants to hear more to contact me.

Comments