112 North Market Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29401, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com BookIt.com

• TheTravelingNerd's Profile Photo

Superb

Beautiful place. Everyone who stays here loves it. Great location. Superb restaurant. Old southern charm with all the amenities.

Unique Quality: Planters Inn and it's restaurant have won many awards...check out their accolades page on the website.

Directions: Market St. and Meeting St. across from Charleston Place.

• Charleston's Best Small Hotel

Planters Inn is an unbelievable hotel/inn. They are a Relais & Chateau property and it is easy to see why. Their rooms are decorated with old South flare and their Courtyard is exquisite. The restaurant in the hotel is Penninsula Grill, which has been constantly voted #1 and is the best in the city by far. If you are looking for normal hotel facilities such as a health club & pool, stay at the Charleston Place. If you are looking for a romantic, beautiful, and quaint hotel/inn, Planters Inn is the place in Charleston.

Unique Quality: Location-Perfect. On the old Historic Market
    Courtyard-Beautiful. Oasis in the city
    Restaurant-#1 in Charleston consistantly
    Relais & Chateau property-enough said.

Directions: Corner of Market St and Meeting St. Perfect Location.

More about Planters Inn

The best location in Charleston

This gem is in the heart of the historic district, within walking distance of just about everything. The hotel is decorated in old southern style. My room had a crocheted canopy on the bed plus a nice sitting area. Bathroom was very nice with the sink and dressing area separate from the commode and tub/shower. I took a bath in the early evening to recover from all that sightseeing. By the time I got back from dinner, evening maid service had been there with fresh towels and a bucket of ice. The parlor off the lobby was a great place to enjoy a complimentary iced tea in the afternoon or coffee in the evening. I did miss having coffee in my room. Coffee was available in the lobby, and I fetched it each morning. The note from the manager was a nice touch, indicative of the emphasis on customer service.

wonderful small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member joe3

We spent 4 nights in this wonderful small hotel located in right in the centre of the historic area of Charleston. Beautful quiet room overlooking Market St., excellent service - the staff could not have been more helpful. They booked us restaurants and guides, and were always there when we needed them.
Highly recomended.

Poor Service, Unresponsive Management at Planters Inn

I had heard and read excellent reviews of the Planters Inn. As someone who has been to Charleston several times, I had been to the hotel and thought it looked beautiful (and I have always enjoyed the restaurant, Peninsula Grill). When an opportunity arose for me to stay in a hotel in Charleston, I excitedly called to make a reservation. Booking my room was no problem, but I realized a few days later -- when I received a confirmation in the mail and saw charges on my credit card that I had not been expecting -- that the service had been appallingly substandard for a hotel with such a strong reputation. First, my confirmation included a reservation for the wrong dates and a mispelling of my name. It took two separate additional phone calls and two more mailed confirmations for this to be corrected (for a total of 3 phone calls and 3 mailed confirmations). Second, when I initially called to reserve a room I was never informed that the hotel requires a deposit in the amount of a first night's stay, which immediately hits your credit card. Similarly, I was not informed when making my reservation that there is a non-refundable $20 fee even should you cancel well in advance. Only after a third phone call to clear up why I had an unexpected $400 charge on my credit card, was I informed of these hotel policies. Considering the acclaims this hotel has received, I thought management would want to be notified of my frustrating experience. I sent two emails to management and never received a response. Likewise, two phone calls requesting to speak to a manager about this resulted in unreturned phone calls. Needless to say, I cancelled my reservation. Yet another phone call to the manager in an attempt to try to get back my $20 non-refundable fee given the hotel's repeated lack of service (mistakes, failure to inform of hotel policies, unreturned phone calls and emails) once again resulted in an unreturned phone call. Finally, I think it is worth noting that I received sloppy and unresponsive service despite communicating to the hotel staff on more than one occassion that the reservation I was making was for the weekend of my wedding in Charleston (obviously, an important weekend). There really is no excuse for a hotel like the Planters Inn to have management and staff who are repeatedly unresponsive to a guest. We found another hotel to stay in the weekend of our upcoming wedding and we will not be recommending it to any of our guests.

Precious little

by TripAdvisor Member multitudes

The decor is intimate, tasteful and decidedly upscale. The bedrooms are merely okay - it felt like roiughing it after a a night in Hilton Garden or Holiday Inn, where the rooms are twice as big and one quarter the price. The restaurant (Peninsular Grill) is comfortable, professional and pleasant but the food is somewhat pretentious and not nearly as inventive as the chef likes to think it is (he comes out to take a bow whether you applaud or not). The menu prices are more in line with the restaurant's aspirations than its achievements . A great wine list (and vintage port) - when it comes to big ticket items this restaurant knows how to gouge those extra dollars from people who are willing and able to make a big impression. The hotel has a charming guest lounge. Ideal for tea in the afternoon. But they don't offer it. The guide books say they do but they don't. Sure, they'll give you a cup of tea at 4 o'clock if you ask but the bemused expression on the faces of staff when you make this request is all a bit depressing. As for cake or biscuits, erh? Where do you think you are, in a small upmarket hospitable hotel?

great stay!

by TripAdvisor Member kristen1281

we stayed here after previous reservations elsewhere fell through, they were extremely helpful and book us right away, we appreciate anywhere that lets us bring our little dog, unfortunately they no longer allow pets. the room was spacious and comfortable with beautiful decor, we had a great view of the market, which can be a little noisy, but its the location, shut the curtains and deal with, nothing disturbing though. the room service was prompt and polite. we were there for my birthday, and without asking they gave us a small bottle of champagne with a happy birthday note waiting for us when we arrived. would definitely stay here again.

I was disappointed.

by TripAdvisor Member jp1040

This is a pricey, Relais and Chateaux property and I was disappointed by the experience.
They don't go the extra mile for the customer. Examples are: this is the only property I have ever stayed in where the guest is not permitted to light or extinguish his own fireplace. A busboy must be called in for this purpose. When I inquired as to the reason for this the front desk clerk said it was due to liability insurance considerations. Also, breakfast offerings are meager and paying extra tariff for a real breakfast is encouraged. Although there is an attractive parlor for afternoon tea, no tea service is offered. I got the impression at every turn that an effort was being made to cut corners and save costs to the inconvience of the customer. I have stayed here in the past and can report that the inn has gone downhill in the past few years.

Best in Charleston-Planters Inn

by TripAdvisor Member ladylexington

Planter Inn is the place to be if you want to enjoy the real hospitality of Charleston.
The hotel staff was kind and helpful. I got very sick and was unable to checkout when I was suppose to. The staff made sure that I was comfortable and had everything I needed. Even though the hotel was full, they went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. Even helped with changing my airline reservations. THANKS!
The hotel restrauant, Peninsula Grill, is wonderful too! The patio is so romantic with gas lights and private tables. It was hard to decide what to eat for dinner so I ate there more than one night on my visit. And laughed because the people at the table next to me had also been there the night before. Truly a good sign!
I have stayed at the Planters Inn before and always had a very enjoyable stay. The location is the best, central to everything.
I always go away praising the hotel but the last time being sick, really showed me that this is a fine hotel with the focus on making sure your trip to Charleston is the best possible.
I highly recommend the Planters Inn and the Peninsula Grill

We loved the Planters Inn

We stayed at the Planters Inn this weekend for my husband's birthday. We absolutely loved it!! Beautiful common rooms, gorgeous bedroom, wonderful staff who cannot do enough for you. We will definitely stay here again!

Comments