Renaissance Charleston Hotel Historic District

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Renaissance Charleston Hotel Historic District

Simply the Best!

Just got back from a delightful trip to Charleston,SC. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel and loved it. Room was lovely and well appointed. The hotel was quiet and relaxing. It was a great bargain for the money,compared to other hotels I have stayed.
Susan at the front desk, was very accomodating and very sweet. She responed promptly to all our requests. My Husband and I will stay there the next time we are in Charleston. The hotel is close to downtown and the shopping is great. If one is available, request a room with a balcony. To the Manager, you have a great staff, from Tad, Mr. Dawson and lovely Susan. Thank you for a memorable stay at your fine hotel.

Valentines Trip 2005

We just returned from staying at the Renaissance Hotel in the historic district of Charleston. The hotel was very nice. The room was clean, bath and body works toiletries and large tub/shower in the bath - all in all very nice although we were given a room on the second floor that looked out on the trashy,vandalized roof tops of other buildings so I'd reccomend asking for a room well above the 2nd floor. We had to keep the blinds closed the whole time, but then again the weather was so dreary it didn't really matter to us.

The only thing I would complain about the room is that the walls seemed a bit "thin". I could hear someone coughing in the room next to us and everytime someone used the water above or next to us you could hear the water run through the pipes. Old hotel? Don't know the history of it.

There was always someone at the front desk and they were all very nice. Always said Hi or goodbye and asked us if everything was alright. When we checked in and used our business credit card the girl asked for info on our business to give to concierge, which I thought was very nice of her.

The bellmen were very pleasant too, although when we arrived at 3:00 there was only one bellman and of course he could only help one person, but another hotel employee helped me up to the second floor with our bags, while my husband parked the car across the street in hotel parking garage..which by the way costs 10.00 a day and is charged to your hotel bill.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant is yummy. The cheese blintzs are great! And the service is excellent. All the shops and restaurants are within walking distance. There's a fantastic little gellato and sandwhich shop (Gellato) I believe on Kings Street. Both Magnolia's and Peninsula Grill were excellent...but pricey!

As for Charleston. Not impressed. We live in GA and visit Savannah frequently and feel safer and much more comfortable in Savannah then we did in Charleston. In Charleston, there were a lot of "panhandlers" in the streets down by the market harrassing people to buy things like camelia flowers that they picked off some bush! They have them in Savannah too but it wasn't as apparent there. I wasn't real impressed with the shops in Charleston because most of them are shops you can find in the mall, like talbots and williams sonoma...although if you love shoes Charleston is the place to go. There are a gazillion shoe stores!

All in all we had a nice visit but we'd probably only return to see the plantations which we didn't get to do because of the weather. As for the renaissance, we'd stay again...just on the 4th floor!! Another bonus was they accepted Marriot Points so our hotel stay was free. :)

Beyond all expectations!

What a wonderful hotel and a fantastic location! My husband and I have visited Charleston many, many times. This hotel is in a perfect location - 1/2 block from Meeting St, and 1/2 block from King St. I highly recommend this hotel. Clean room, quiet, family-friendly, but perfect for a romantic getaway also.

Nice Hotel in Downtown Area

This is a reasonably priced alternative to the hotels in downtown Charleston. It is on a side street off King Street so you do not have all of the street noise as you would with some of the other hotels. The photos on the web site make these rooms seem much larger than they are. The views from the rooms are non existent. We had to wait a long time for our car from valet and the bell area was not staffed sufficiently for the traffic at the hotel. Rooms are clean - basic Renaissance quality.

Great Location!

I went with a business group and stayed a few nights, overall the location is right next to shops, bars and restaurants. The service was good and the price was a little high but we had a group discount to off set that.

Also I run a lot and I found if you go a few blocks away from the hotel, you go through the historic district and the view is great! You'll notice the gas lights at night which makes it more unique too.

Overall, the experience at the Renaissance was pretty good.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member tata4now

We were in Charleston for the Spoleto festival, this hotel was wasy walking distance to all the theatres and events. The service and cleanliness of the hotel were top-notch. I agree with a prior reviewer, we were on the third floor and could hear every bit of noise from the corridors. If you're a sound sleeper, no problem, but if not, I wouldn't stay at this hotel.

Great Location and Service

We enjoyed the great service at the hotel. I felt that because I had booked the hotel through Priceline, that I was viewed a little second class by the front desk staff. However, the rest of the staff treated us fabulously. The room was a bit small and they could not offer us a room with two beds instead of the one King. We had to use a rollaway. For the money, I thought it was a little disappointing.

Love It

My family love this hotel.. The children like to stay here because of the "cool" roof top pool. We have stayed here 2 times. The best secret is if you go to the visitors center when you arrive you can get deep discount on most hotels in Charleston. We never pay full price here. The last time we payed 120.00 for a $200. room. Everyone should take the time to go to the visitors center. It is worth it!!!!

Great location/Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rsmrsm1

stayed here for 3 nights in August 2005.....hotel is very centrally located and good location to walk to many sites in the historic District...can walk from hotel to South of Broad area with no problem........nice sized room and bathroom....room service did forget to make-up our room on one day...valet parking was $17/day and was fairly quick......restaurant with coffee bar in lobby...pool on 3rd floor......got room for $120/night thru Priceline which seemed to be a good deal for the area....would be happy to stay there again......

Would stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member novacc

The Renaissance is in a great location, within walking distance of a lot of what tourists will want to see in Charleston. It's on a side street off the main streets, so it's quiet. Plus, Jestine's Kitchen is right down the block!

We stayed in a standard double room. Rooms and bathrooms were clean. Concierge service was helpful.

Renaissance Charleston or Harbour View Inn?

by lauriemidori

I realize location is everything with the Harbour View, but many of the reviews I’ve read say they rooms aren’t all that great for the price. I made my reservation for their “suite” which includes two balconies and a Jacuzzi tub. I’ve come to find the balconies are like two feet big and the Jacuzzi tub is just a bathtub with whirlpool jets. So I’m wondering if for $1,009 for three nights this hotel is really worth it. The Renaissance will run around $800 for three nights on their Charleston Floor. I stayed at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in New Orleans last year and loved it, so I’m thinking this might be the better choice. Is the Renaissance in a bad location? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

RE: Renaissance Charleston or Harbour View Inn?

by TheTravelingNerd

in my opinion as a charlestonian i would say Harbourview Inn... the location is much better. although both are close to amazing houses and restaurants the harbourview is in a better spot the houses and restaurants and shops around the harbourview are far superior to the renaissance hotel. also you would be across the street from waterfront park. i have more on the area and waterfront park on my page at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b0b5d/d3230/
hope this helps,