90 Ripley Point Drive, Charleston, South Carolina, 29407, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• Marilu33's Profile Photo

Many Extras at a Great Value

Six of us shared a two bedroom suite for two nights before going on a cruise together. At $60 total per person for both nights this was the best value of our vacation. Staff were always friendly and helpful, particularly with getting our large amount of luggage in and out-not even sticking around for a tip! An ample hot buffet breakfast in a large, attractive dining room and light suppers on weeknights added to our savings and comfort. The Thursday night we were there they had sloppy Joes and raw veggies with ranch dip, with free beverages including lemonade, soda and beer on tap.
    The rooms were comfortable with enough kitchen space to easily handle the eating we did in the suite. There were TVs in all three rooms, and free Wi-Fi connection for our computers. A small snack store area near the front desk is a good source for snacks, desserts and heat up dinners at the last minute. We didn't use the pool, but it was nice to know it was there.
    Signs in the back parking lot bordering the wetlands area that backs up to the hotel warn guests not to disturb wildlife and especially not to approach or feed the allligator..we knew we weren't in Kansas anymore!

Unique Quality: Everything was clean, well maintained, and attractively decorated. White duvet comforters on the beds gave the rooms a European upscale feel. Plenty of hot water and a nice shower head, hair dryer is in a bag in the closet. Really close and convenient to The airport, old town, and shopping and restaurants. We liked having luggage carts available to transport our massive amounts of luggage-we filled two of them-and there were energetic staff members handy who were happy to volunteer to help us with them.

Directions: Across the Ashley river from Old Town. Search 'Charleston SC Residence inn Marriott' for complete information and photos.

• Worst Hotel Stay Ever

We had stayed at this Residence Inn years ago, with no problems. I am from Chas. We were there visiting my father who wanted us to stay with him. My husband really likes his privacy, so we opted for a hotel close to my dad. I was so happy to see such a nice and welcoming room , after a long day of travel. To my utter and complete disgust, I was awakenened around 1am, with a feeling of wetness on my side. I could not imagine what it was.I actually thought my husband might have wet the bed. I was totally disgusted, as you can well imagine. After jumping up, I found it was only my side that was wet. I smelled it and knew right away that it was urine!!! I did not want to wake my husband and son. I took a shower, and put all the towels over the wet area. Needless to say , I was never able to fall back to sleep. My husband was so upset with me the next morning, for not waking them , and changing rooms. I should have, but I did not want to disturb my family in the middle of the night.
    The worst part of this story was how I was treated at the front desk!!! When I explained the situation to the clerck. She did not even act surprised. Sha told me she would give us our room for 1/2/price!!! What a joke!! I demanded to see the GM and the head-housekeeper. They showed up 10 min. later, at the room. Both of them were in agreement that it was a pet urine stain---How awful is that? There was no mattress cover on the bed, and whoever had made up the bed had to know there was urine stains on it. The room smelled faintly of urine also. We did not notice it as much, we we first checked in, I believe something had been sprayed to cover it. Well we did get our room for free, but I slept all day at m fathers,because of the lack of sleep at the hotel. What a terrible experience!!!! I will never stay at a Marriet Property again.

• Not the best experience

We are disappointed with our most recent stay at the Residence Inn. This is not operated by Marriott but by a franchisee and the management has visibly cut back on staff. The facility is pet friendly and we have stayed there before without incident but this time the hall carpets were very smelly with pet urine and needed to be removed and replaced. Also, most marriott facilties are good about upgrading even when you are using marriott rewards points if there is availability we are gold status, but we were told in no uncertain terms that the management here doesn't allow it. So we had to move rooms after one day but the maid even told us because it was a holiday they weren't going to clean our initial room until the next day and it remained empty, so I really thought that was a bummer. The whole place could use a makeover, to tell you the truth. On the plus side, the bed was comfy and the staff was very friendly. The breakfast was good.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Convenient to Downtown Charleston

The Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview is not in downtown Charleston and you may see the Ashley River from the street or your room, but other then the somewhat misleading name we enjoyed our 3 day stay here in late September, 2009. This Residence Inn built in 2000 is showing slight bits of wear and tear, but for as much time we spend in hotels on our trips this was not any type of inconvenience.

Like most Residence Inns in the Marriott chain you have a choice of a separate 1 bedroom suite which has a bedroom with a queen size bed and a TV, a separate living area with a pull out couch/bed with another TV and a small table for eating and a kitchen including refrigerator, sink, dishwasher and all the plates, bowls, cooking pans you would need if you were inclined to cook for yourself while here. The last picture in the sequence shows Sue having breakfast at the table on our last day, but other then that we ate out. Hey, it's a vacation.

The Residence Inns offer a free breakfast every morning in the common room which also holds a reception Monday through Thursday nights between 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Again while on our vacation we did have breakfast here our first morning, but ate by the beach on Day 2 and leftovers on Day 3. We also did not partake in the reception as we were always too busy exploring or getting ready for dinner at 7:00 p.m. each evening.

Unique Quality: The hotel offers a 24 hour business center (computer with printer) and a 24 hour small food market. The hotel is non-smoking (as most Marriotts are going to these days). They also offer free on site parking (no problem for us, but apparently during the busy summer months it can get a bit crowded). A free shuttle will take you into downtown Charleston (about 3 miles away) every evening from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Again, we had a rental so did not partake of this service. A fitness center is on site (walking was our fitness this trip).

The hotel is about 12 miles to the nearest beach where we saw a beautiful sunrise our 2nd morning in Charleston, but that's covered in another tip.

Directions: From Downtown Charleston west on Calhoun Street across the bridge and take the Hwy 61 exit to the right (north) about 1/2 mile to Ripley Point Drive.

Comments