The Lodge Alley Inn

Lodge Alley Inn
Orbitz.com Booking.com Tingo.com

• hslowe's Profile Photo

Gorgeous, old-Charleston rooms

I really like the Lodge Alley Inn. They have a lot of different kinds of rooms, from standard-size hotel rooms furnished in antiques to two-level lofts with circular staircases. Many of hte rooms feature exposed brick and give you that old-world atmosphere.

Unique Quality: A lovely courtyard with fountains, great location in walking distance to everything

Directions: Market area

More about The Lodge Alley Inn

Spring Break 2004

We started our Spring Break in New Bern, North Carolina at the RCI Resort of Sandcastle Cove, which is not a place we would highly recommend to anyone. After staying there for several nights we were not pleased so we called Bluegreen to see if there was a room available at the Lodge Alley Inn. Luckily there was a studio room available. It was beautiful. The room faced the courtyard. The people working there were extremely helpful and very friendly. Having the vallet parking was wonderful. The location is great. Everything is within walking distance of the room. We would highly recommend this location to anyone.

Just Don't Ride In On A Harley!

As owners in the Bluegreen Vacation Club, we thought the perfect place to stay for the Charleston Heritage Bike Rally would be the Lodge Alley Inn. When we pulled up to the curb riding our Harley Davidson motorcycle, the bellhop and valets immediately started complaing that we were in the way. We were trying to check in...just like everyone else. The front desk staff were always very curteous and helpful with anything we needed or asked about. Cudos to those young ladies! Several of the guests staying at the Lodge Alley Inn made off-hand comments about us being "Bikers" when we would ride the elevator with them. One couple was particularly offensive to us as they insinuated that my wife was a "-----". Upon check-out the bellhop made the comment that he would be very glad to see us (i.e. "bikers") go. That is highly unprofessional. Could it be that because we did not use the bellhop or the valet service (therefore there was no tipping involved) that was the problem? I would also encourage anyone who is considering buying into the Bluegreen Vacation Club to be sure they understand exactly how it works before purchasing with them. Remember that salesmen can really talk the "double-talk" when trying to make a sale. While the Vacation Club may work for some people, it just doesn't work for us. Will we ever go back to the Lodge Alley Inn? Absolutely not.

A wonderful place to stay and buy a time share

My wife and I had a quiet wonderful experience at the Lodge Alley Inn. At first, I was suspicious at the forward nature of the staff wanting to help us acclimate to Charleston. The concierges, Juanita and Deborah, were outstanding at arranging the finest dining places and areas of interest. Whether your tastes are expensive or inexpensive, they customized their suggestions to your own preferences. If you want a quiet place without screaming kids and over amorous couples, this is the place. Sure, there are hawkers trying to get the people on the street to come in for a time-share presentation. You can tell that they are well instructed not to pursue anybody that is not interested. I was approached several times and was treated with respect and friendliness. These kids are a blast to talk to. They are just trying to earn a buck but still provide a courteous friendly flavor consistant with the South. We NEVER saw or heard any drunks or revelers in or out of the hotel and our room was streetside. I have been to many hotels across the country and have found very few that can match the friendliness and competence of the Lodge Alley Inn. We inherited our timeshare and wanted to learn more about how to use it. We thoroughly expected to hear a hard sell sales pitch to purchase more points. Instead we experienced a concerned presentation of how to utilize our points. This is indeed a classy time-share organization. The room was huge, delightfully adorned, and could easily be a one person apartment. We slept like babies. Pooh on the naysayers. We think Lodge Alley Inn was great.

Wonderful Location!

After visiting Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, we decided to travel on to Charleston. The atmosphere in Charleston was totally different. Much nicer for a young family with children. The Lodge Alley Inn was not partiularly kid friendly (no pool, playground, etcc) but we still enjoyed it. The location of the Inn was wonderful. We were within walking distance of almost everything that we needed. The room was a historical beauty. We had one big problem. NO AIR CONDITIONING. The first night our air did not work. This was a problem in the July heat! Plus, the windows did not have screens in them so we could not open them for fear that our children would get up in the middle of the night and fall out. They fixed it the next morning and gave us a reimbursement for that night. Despite the one bad evening, we enjoyed the trip and are returning this summer! Side note, the area is very expensive. There are lots of tours that you will want to go on...be prepared to pay! Same for meals!

Not the Same....

by TripAdvisor Member Earthspirit

I took my daughter to Charleston for her 12th Birthday in late April. This was her second trip there. We had previously stayed at a smaller inn and she had declared Charleston her favorite place in the world. Lodge Alley Inn's staff was extremely helpful, room was really nice (but for $200 a night I expect it to be). My only real concern was the way the staff kept trying to sell me on the tour etc. even after I told them I was only there with my daughter for some shopping and a little celebration. My daughter did not like the bigger type of hotel. She much prefers the smaller quaint Inns. I have stayed at many of the different Inns in the historic district. Lodge Alley is my least favorite to date. This is only due to it being larger and just not as "Charming" as many of the others. If a traveler wants a nice room, walking distance to most attractions and good restraunts this is a place to stay. If a traveler wants a "Real Southern Experience" then I suggest trying the smaller quaint Inns.

Love it or hate it

by TripAdvisor Member atltravel

Before our trip to Charleston this Thanksgiving, I was confused by the conflicting reviews about Lodge Alley Inn. After spending 4 nights there, I understood that you would most likely either LOVE it or HATE it, depending on which room you have. The first night we were put in a tiny, cage like one bdrm unit (the loft was directly above the living area, and the dinning area was below the stairs), room 357. My reservation was for room 354, which is a one level unit, but they gave it away to someone who was supposed to be severely handicapped, but we met him later and he was just a tall guy. The only window faced the elevator so it could never be opened. The bdrm was so cramped that we could barely fit our suitcase in, and I'm always worried that my three year old would fall down the wooden stairs if she jumped and slipped.
The bathroom is downstairs, so we have to walk down a 3 year old in the middle of night. After repeated complaining, they finally put us in room 353 the next day (though they had the room the night before), we moved to room 353. Wow, what a difference. A huge living room, nice dinning area, a half bath downstairs, a loft completely away from the living area with full bath, and nice view of the leaning chapel.

Later we also found that there are some room perhaps worse that our first one, the ones whose doors face Cumberland street (I think the room number is in the 100's). In summary, you have to be specific which room you are going to get in this place, and that makes all the difference.

The location of this hotel is unbeatable and the courtyard is really nice. My kids had great time running around the fountain in the evening. I found the sales person fairly nice, never asked us for anything after learning we are already owners. They also recommended kdi-friendly restaurants and attractions for us. Perhaps because it was not the highest season, the courtyard was quite and not very many people.

A unique place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member monday1974

We visited the Lodge Alley Inn on January 26-27, 2004. This is definitely a very unique place to stay, and our room was totally different than any place I have ever stayed. We had a 2-bedroom townhouse, and we estimated that both upstairs & downstairs must have 12 foot ceilings. Our room was clean, and having the kitchen is a definite bonus. It was also very nice to have coffee in the lobby for most of the day (it was very cold when we were there), and they have cookies and sherry every afternoon in the lobby.

Although we did enjoy our stay here, there are a couple of things I want to note: 1. Besides the atmosphere of the hotel, there are no other amenities.
The city of Charleston is what they consider their amenity.
2. This is not totally a kid friendly environment. There isn't much for kids to do, so I would suggest this more for an adult "get-away".
3. When booking a room, definitely ask for the different options in rooms. Be very specific in the style of room you want, more so that a studio, 1 or 2 bedroom (ie they offer one-level or two-level rooms, some have fireplaces, some don't have a full kitchen, etc). If we had known, we would have asked for a 2-bedroom one level room. It was not on the courtyard, but a much nicer room!

The only other thing to mention is that we were in Charleston during the city's "off-season". Much of the shopping is closed, because the weather is too cold, and there aren't many people around. It's a great time to visit because you don't have to fight the crowds, but you might not see as much because not everything is open. You will definitely spend more time in your room, so definitely ask for what you will enjoy most!

This is it!

Our group of college friends couldn't decide on where to go for our annual Reunion, so we decided to come here. Well, what can I say? The whole place was run down, the beds were broken, the pool table was gross, and the hot tub didn't work. On top of that, the Silvers insisted on having their own "family vacation" during Reunion. Wholly unsatisfying. But other than that, we loved it!!

Awful trip

This was a NIGHTMARE! My family and I (my mom, dad, little sister) went to Charleston for two nights, and went and stayed at the LAI due to a BlueGreen offer. This hotel was awful. There was nothing to do, and the location of the room was...I cant even describe! The beds (pull out and double) squeaked and if you caughed, it squeaked! The downstairs bathroom toilet didnt work, and we only had one bathroom for FOUR people to share! It was HOT, the air didnt reach the loft. My sister and I were FREEEZING downstairs! The drunks were out until at least 3:30, and throwing beer bottles at the wall. My dad couldnt sleep, and he went to the front desk at 6 am and checked us out. That morning, comes to find out, the gas station across the street had been ROBBED! So, we left, and went to the Embassy Suites for a MUCH BETTER experience! (hint hint---DONT GO HERE!)

Charleston Jan and Feb

by tbcody65

Where is a good and inexpensive place to stay for a week or two in Jan or Feb? Does not need to be in Charleston. Close by is fine.

Re: Charleston Jan and Feb

by LilaLinz

Because it really isn't our tourist season down here at the time you're coming, take advantage of the cheap price and some of the quaint little Inns we have around here. Some great ones are Lodge Alley Inn, French Quarter Inn, Battery Carriage Inn and Wentworth Mansion. They're all very close to all major attractions.

Comments