Scottish Inn Columbia

Finlay FountainFinlay Fountain

Travel Tips for Columbia

Conservatism

by acemj

I can't think of a better picture to demonstrate the conservative nature of Columbia. VTer b1bob standing in front of a statue of Strom Thurmond really says it all!

Oh, don't get me wrong, there is a major university here and certainly there are folks who are more liberally bent, but all in all, Columbia is fairly conservative.

general wade hampton statue

by doug48

located on the grounds of the south carolina state house is a statue of wade hampton. hampton was a celebrated confederate civil war general. wade hampton became south carolina's first governor after reconstruction. hampton served as governor from 1876 to 1879 and was considered "the savior of south carolina" for leading the state out of the hardship and terror of the reconstruction decade. hampton became south carolina's united states senator in 1879.

Finlay Park

by b1bob

Finlay Park has been a part of Columbia since early in the 19th Century. It is a fine place for a fun fair, concerts, festivals, or simply picnic lunches on a nice day. Mark and I happened to be here on 27 March 2004, abnormally warm even for Columbia at that time of year. Temperatures were upwards of 80°F (26°C) that day. That together with the fact there was a children's festival planned for Finlay Park made a perfect storm which meant an abnormally large crowd. There was all manner of music, entertainment, food, and a fun fair on top of Finlay Park's usual beauty amidst the skyline.

My Columbia, SC Page

by Simplysal

"Columbia is a Dead City"

I stopped here for 3 nights while enroute to Florida. My car broke down, so I decided to get it fix here because Columbia is South Carolina's biggest city. I thought that maybe it would be ok to stay here and see something new for a change. You know what I mean? But much to my dismay, I was wrong. Dead wrong. It took me 5 days to find someone who was qualified to work on my hummer. The people were rude and the food was very disgusting. I was not a happy camper at the end of my stay. Now, everytime I am in the south I avoid Columbia (South Carolina in whole).

Comments