Thunderbird Inn

cheffrank's Profile Photo

Old time Feeling

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 21, 2009

Have stayed at this hotel more then once, usually 1-4 nights at a time. This hotel brings back memories of the older family owned type motels that you found along the highway, before the supper chains took over. Let me say that I travel for business combined with pleasure, my wife & 3-year-old always come with. We stay in hotels almost every week for 2-4 nights across the S.E. so we have experienced the good, the bad & the ugly & we are picky within reason (hate dirt, mold & or stench). My 3-year-old takes his shoes & socks off the minute we hit the room and believe me if the carpet is a little dirty we will know within minutes (I have checked out of hotels because his feet were black with dirt). Have not seen bugs or frogs in my room.

The rooms I have had here have been clean, But a little old & tired. The rooms are decent size, comes with microwave, coffee pot & refrigerator. Outdoor pool (could be heated a little more) we use it. Breakfast is one of the best I’ve seen, it is an all you can eat
buffet with hot & cold selections including fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, hot cakes & eggs made to order with a wait staff cleaning your table and serving milk, juice & coffee. Besides hotel guest you will find locals eating here (a good sign). The staff has always been courteous & helpful & friendly. On our last visit my son fell and scraped his arm on the way to breakfast, one of the employees heard us talking about it and returned with a Band-Aid. Ask for courtyard side room it’s quieter, rooms on the outside do get some of the freeway noise. Overall it’s not the Ritz, but it is a good value for your buck especially if you can find a discount. Good for a couple of nights anytime.

Unique Quality: All you can eat buffet inc in price, pool and location

Directions: off I-95

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Florence Travel Forum

Need advice about Florence, South Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Florence and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Florence hotel reviews