120 South Main Street, Greenville, South Carolina, 29601, United States

The Westin Poinsett, Greenville
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Westin.com

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Old Fashion Accommodation, Westin Touch

In 1924, $1.5 Million dollars was alot of money. A 200 room hotel however was desparately needed in Greenville at the time of the Southern Textile mills. A few years later however the Great Depression was in full swing and this money spent on an elegant hotel seemed outlandish. Luckily, the Poinsett Hotel made it through by charging occupants only $3 a night. Essentially, this grand hotel became one of the best values in the South at the time. Through slow decline however, the hotel lost its way around 1970. It became a senior citizens home until it was condemned in the late 80s. It sat that way until 2000, when Westin Hotels purchased the property and rebuilt it with $19 million dollars of renovation.

Today it is a beautiful showcase of Greenville's dedication to revitalizing its main street. The hotel boasts very comfortable "Heavenly Beds" and still gives off an old fashioned southern charm. On arrival, you are greeted by the doorman, and then the hotel staff was exceptionally friendly.

I hope you get the chance to see this lovely hotel, and as a teaser... make sure you go to the bottom floor past the shops to see some of the original tile work!

• GreenvilleRealtor's Profile Photo

Central to Everything!

Although I live in town, my wife and I will take a day away and stay at the Westin Poinsett. Phenomenal Hotel with a deep history.

Unique Quality: Built in 1925 by W.L. Stoddard, the Westin Poinsett hotel was orginally the Poinsett Hotel, until it closed for approximately 20 years and remained vacant. It was then re-opened and given a $20 million renovation. Truly an amazing piece of Greenville History.

Directions: Located almost dead-center on Main Street in Downtown Greenville, and only about 4 blocks from Falls Park. By far, the best location with convenience to everything in downtown Greenville.

More about Westin Poinsett

National Trust - Historic Hotel

by ATXtraveler

Greenville has a Historic Hotel of America located within its city limits. This section of the National Trust was extended to the Westin Poinsett Hotel, due to its historical significance dating back to the Great Depression. To learn more about Historic Hotels in the US, visit http://www.historichotels.org

Hunt Mice! (Mice on Main)

by SpaceCoastMomma

An idea adapted from the book, Goodnight Moon, tiny bronze mice are hidden along Main Street.

Local sculptor Zan Wells was commissioned to make the nine mice and a sculpture of the book, located along nine blocks of Main Street, between the Hyatt & the Westin Poinsett hotels.

Obtain the hints to finding the mice at www.greatergreenville.com/visitors/mice

Greenville's Greatest!

by TripAdvisor Member HRHofOC

If business or pleasure takes you to Greenville, the Westin Poinsett is a MUST!!
From the free pick-up at the airport to the entire staff catering to your every whim, this is a great place to stay.
Rooms are updated, the beds are devine as is the updated bathroom.
Room Service breakfast was delivered on time with a smile and the morning newspaper.
Well Done Westin Poinsett Greenville!

Good bargain

by TripAdvisor Member futurelawyer2005

It is a historic hotel but, other than a few portraits, there is no history to be found. It is beautiful inside and out. It is a bit plain yet elegant in some ways. Very modern. Great features even though a lot of them cost extra money. Bring your own laptop to use the internet access in the room because the hotel computer costs $6 a pop.

There were a couple of minor issues right after we checked in but we made a list and gave it to the front desk. We left to go to lunch and when we came back, everything was fixed. We booked the standard, king room. Very basic. The comforters and pillows were definitely part of their "Heavenly Bed" feature yet the mattress was hard and somewhat lumpy. The "Heavenly Shower" was phenomenal.

They serve Starbucks in the room and will give you as much as you request. If you have to use the parking garage, it is a major hassle going between it and the building. It also costs $6 a day. Most of the room views are horrible.

As far as location, it is one of the best! You cannot get a better spot anywhere on Main Street and that is the best place to be! Eclectic and trendy shops set on a quaint yet trendy street. Everything is within walking distance of 4 blocks. Lots of nightlife on Friday and Saturday nights! Cheap yet quality drinks. This is the one part of Greenville you want to be in and the Westin Poinsett puts you right in the thick of it.

On the right side of it, you have the spectacular Reedy Falls. Absolutely phenomenal. I cannot describe it. And it is less than 500 steps out of the hotel. The bellhops and attendants are eager and ready to help (please tip for each bag or if they watch your car for you). The concierge is great and will help out with anything.

I guess the only major word of caution is that the people here and the maps as well are horrible about directions. People can't give directions to save their life. The streets and highways don't follow any N, S, W or E pattern and have both names and numbers. I spent 4 days just being lost. I wasted alot of time and gas and got really frustrated. Don't count on the hotel to be any better with directions either. Advice: get your hands on as many maps as you can and actually Mapquest out each and every place you want to go. You will be thankful later.

The hotel piano bar is really tiny but the drinks are great. The hotel is exceptionally busy no matter what day or time. Get used to that. And there is no roof top access or pool. The hotel gym is one of the best I've seen and I used it everyday. They have everything including magazines and papers to read while you're working out. Make use of it. On the whole, the staff was very courteous and willing to do what it took to make their guests happy.

One last thing. There is a mouse hunt game that is part of the scenery of downtown Greenville. There are 9 brass mice hidden on the strip and you must find them all. We walked and walked and walked and we only found 4. It is a lot of fun for the kids and the hotel staff can actually get you started on it.

Forgettable

by TripAdvisor Member doodoolemonque

The next time we return to visit the very interesting Greenville SC, we will stay at the Hampton Inn on the Reddy River, just across from Reed River Park, and few short walks to several vibrant areas as well as several theaters.

Our stay at the Westin Ponsett was a very frustrating experience, and I have to say that most of the blame falls on the management. It started at the moment of arrival and never got better. There was some sort of construction going on in the very small courtyard into which one arrives. We would learn later that a movie construction crew was building a new, temporary facade for a George Clooney movie. Regardless, the entrance was blocked and no one there was dedicated to assisting arriving guests and directing traffic. When we did manage to get our car out of the street traffic and into the property, those assisting us with our car and luggage were indifferent, at best. I have to attribute this to poor hiring, training and leadership.

The next staff member should never have been left on his own to assist guests. The FD agent greeted me hesitantly, and I said I'd like to register. He told me that I couldn't until 4 pm. Apparently he thought I was there to register for a foot race to held the next day, of which I knew nothing. I figured out long before him that we were there for some other reason than registering for the race, and it took me some time to expalin that I just wanted my room. Frankly, he had a very hard time answering any question directly, leaving me more confused by the minute. I was quite relieved to finally be able to walk away.

The room was average. I have never understood what Feng Shui was about until I walked into this room and everything felt wrong. With all due respect to left handers, this room felt like a left handed room in a right handed world. The bathroom was poorly laid out, as well. Frankly, although this hotel had a refurb a few years ago, it looks like they spent all their money on the upgrades required by their Westin franchise agreement and let the rest suffer the consequences. The case pieces were noticebly well worn. There is no reading lamp anywhere near the chair, so if you want to read, you must do so elswhere. The closet door opened into the guest room door, making it completely impossible for the Bellman to carry hanging items in and hang them without removing the door stop, closing the door, opening the closet door, closing the closet door and then opening the room door and resetting the door stop. I was exhausted from watching him. There was no refrigerator or microwave (not necessary, but always nice) but there was a superflous dual showerhead required (and branded) by Westin.

Housekeeping was reasonably performed with the glaring exception of the 2 foot tear along the seam of the duvet. The housekeeper had attempted to hide the damage to the head pillow by strategically placing some of the printed material in front of it. Cute.

Unfortunately for us, the single cup pod style coffee maker defeated our efforts in bringing along our own coffee and filter. Oddly, the pod provided was too large for the brewing system. A card had been providing explaing that it only APPEARED the pod was too big, but the directions on the pod package called for 20 oz of water, while the reservoir held only 12 oz, suggesting it was more than just appreances. It was both useless and stupid of the management to provide material that directly contradicted their own products's instructions.

Pressing 0 for help of any sort, required a great deal of patience, or hanging up and calling back a few minutes later. No one, however, knew of any disconnect between the pod and the brewer, and I found this to be true of other issues, as well. Apprently, management does not convey to the employees what they need to know.

The hotel is in a great location, but ill equipt to satisfy the image for which is apparently striving. The staff seems more or less willing, but no one seems present to drive the effort. As I mentioned at the top, there are other options, equally well situated. Greenville is an awesome city doing some very interesting things (banning smoking on city streets is one, although this is not yet strictly enforced), and we are already making plans to return. We are not interested in seeing the Westin Poinsett again however, until we see Clooney's "Leatherheads."

Nice hotel with great fitness facility

by TripAdvisor Member travelbug47

Happened to stay at the Westin over the July 4th festivities. It has a great downtown location. We found the best rate by calling the hotel directly.
We had a corner room which was large, bright and very clean. Nicely done for an older building.
The gem is the work out facility. We travel quite extensively and my husband claims this to be the nicest hotel facility we have stayed at. Health Club quality equipment and many choices.

OK - but not 4-star rating

by TripAdvisor Member WillowCo

I travel a lot and enjoy the club benefits of
Starwoods. Not clear why this property merits the only 4-star rating for the town Beyond the Heavenly Bed -- rooms are small, hotel is old and quaint -- which is not the same as elegant or luxurious, or antique with historical interest. Everything about this property is so-so. Not even mugs for the coffee maker which is an amenity at 2-3 star hotels. No safe in the room. Thin walls. Noisy halls. And internet access with Wayport at 9.95/day. How quaint!. Exercise room has nice equipment -- but it is small and cramped and there is no pool. And the lounge offers little privacy or quiet getaway for the business traveler. More like a quaint train station.

Horible Service from Sales Department

by TripAdvisor Member windshieldtime

Unfortunately I was unable to make my trip to the hotel because business was cancelled last minute. When I called to cancel my reservation, I was told I had to talk to the sales department. The sales department told me I would not be charged if I rescheduled my stay with them, which I agreed to, but I needed to get back to them later that day with a date. When I called back, twice, nobody knew what I was talking about and they treated me as if I was lying about the arrangement. I have stayed at this hotel before and besides the $12 a day parking fee, b/c there is no other option, the sales team is horrible and never bothered to call me back after leaving 2 messages. I would recommend the Greenville Marriott Resort, which has a great restaurant and spa in it. You do not have to pay for parking and I have never been charged for cancelling my reservations.....maybe it's because I have more Marriott points than Starwood (useless b/c they don't have many hotels) points.

Comments