130 Shipyard Dr, South Carolina, 29928, United States

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 88% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Shipyard Plantation

This is one of those hotels which is on a "Plantation" which means that you have to go through a gatehouse to get to it. I have NOT stayed here.

Their webpage says: Crowne Plaza Hilton Head Island Beach Resort features 340 rooms including 9 suites, in a single, five-story building.

All guest rooms feature High Speed Internet Access, the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage Program, a private balcony, refreshment center, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & ironing board, in-room safe, voice-mail system, and data ports on two phone lines.

Non-smoking rooms and rooms with handicap access are available.

Check-in time is 4:00pm.
    Check-out time is 12:00 noon.

Unique Quality: One of the packages they offer (with no indication of price which I guess does show something) is the Family FunSpree Package which includes:

- Full Carolina Breakfast for 2 daily

- One free in-room movie

- 2 free pizzas delivered right to your room

- 3 hour bicycle rental for up to 4 people to explore the miles of beach and island bike paths.

- Kids under 12 eat Free from their own special menu when accompanied by a dining adult.

- Second room for "kids" 50% off prevailing rack room rate!

* Two night minimum. Rates include our deluxe Standard rooms. Subject to availability, tax and daily Resort Facilities Fee. Does not include vouchers.

Directions: From I-95 take Exit 8 (Hwy 278). Cross bridge - stay left for the Cross Island Parkway ($1 toll) Becomes Palmetto Bay Road - to Sea Pines Circle. Exit Circle on Hwy 278 (third turn off the circle). Make a right into Shipyard Plantation (third light).

More about Crowne Plaza Hilton Head

Nice Resort but Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member scdenis

I just came home from a long memorial day weekend with my girlfriend at the Crown Plaza at Hilton Head.

This was my first time traveling to Hilton Head and my first impression of the island is that it’s a little overpriced. It’s obviously a resort town (and price gouging is typical in resort towns) but compared to Florida or the Outer Banks, Hilton Head is very expensive on a whole. Every restaurant seems expensive and just to get in the gate at Harbor Town (the main area for nightlife and restaurants) it cost $5. The increase in price isn’t reflected in the service or quality of food. The food really isn’t that much of an improvement and the service (mainly high school and college kids) isn’t that great. I’m not a snob for service but when you’re paying $20 per plate you expect to be served in a timely manner.

The Crown Plaza is a great place to stay. We knew we’d be arriving before our check in time and called ahead to make sure we’d have access to the facility and could check our bags. When we arrived they told us their bag check was full and had to reload everything back in the car (major pain). We were also accessed a $10 per night fee at check in for amenities (phone, coffee in the room etc). I think when you’re paying $250 or so a night or a hotel room they can include those things.

The grounds of the hotel are great. The pool is very small and crowded but the bar at the pool is nice and everything is laid out nicely. The beach is a good 150-200 yards away from the hotel but it’s a nice walk up to the beach. We found our room to be very accommodating and the hotel staff was generally very helpful.

My only other complaint is that the beach is very small and is hard packed sand. I think a lot of it had to do with usually high tides but they beach was incredibly crowded.

Overall, the Crown Plaza was a great place to stay. The accommodations were great but the actual beach, pool area and over all Hilton Head experience was underwhelming.

I definately got my $72.00/night worth!

by TripAdvisor Member chaosx44

My boyfriend and I booked, through hotwire, 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza Resort in Hilton Head (an amazing $72.00 per night). I couldnt really find anything bad to say about the place, except the stupid "resort facility fee", $10.00 per night"...DUMB. The location is close to the center of everything and not more than maybe 5-10 minutes from anything you could want or need. It is located in a residential area and very secluded. Upon arrival we were allowed to check in an hour early, which i was very gratefuly for, and in less than 10 minutes we were in our room. The room was nice, but not for us. It had two double beds and a horrible view of the roof top of an ajoining building so all we could see from our private balcony was air ducts, heating and air units, conduit, it was aweful. I asked for them to move us to a room with one larger bed which they did without a problem. I expected the room to be a bit larger from the pictures, but it was cozy. The bed was AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. I still can get over how comfy it was!hah. I didnt have any problems with it being noisy as some others have mentioned. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and very tranquil. Plenty of pool and deck seating and little nooks and crannies with seating in the shade and hammocks throughout the grounds. The ponds with the fountains were great and i spent a good deal of my time on the deck enjoying them. Lots of turtles in those ponds and fun to watch. The pool was a bit small but didnt seem to pose any problems. The indoor pool and hottub were nice at night. Its only a short walk from the pool to the beach, along a nice path. They have restrooms right off the beach and it is very convenient. Didnt eat at the restaurants so i cant comment on that. Just a few points:
1. I dont believe there is anyway you can see the beach from any room in that hotel so dont bother asking for oceanfront
2. It seems that the going rate for a room is about $200 + a night. I would never pay that much for this place but thats just me.
3. The best restaurant we found was the Old Oyster Factory. Beautiful view, great service, wonderful food.
4. And last but certainly not least, go to Rita's real italian ice in coligny plaza and get some custard.....it's the main reason i go to hilton head time and time again..haha.
If anyone has any specific questions that i did not cover, please feel free to ask.

Crowne Plaza Resort

by TripAdvisor Member TerryMyrtleBeachSC

Our family (7 adults and 2 children ages 2) stayed at the Crowne Plaza Resort. in Shipyard, for 2 nights and loved it. Wish we could have stayed longer. Beautiful resort and rooms were great. Everyone was friendly from check in to check out. They have an indoor, outdoor and kiddie pool. We ate at the snack bar at the pool for lunch both days and food was excellent. We did not eat at either of the 2 restaurants on the grounds so can't comment on their food. We did rent bikes and rode for an hour. Was very relaxing riding around the grounds. There is a playground for children but not much of a playground. No swings and the slide is metal so hot. You can't see the ocean from the hotel but short walk. There is a bridge that goes around the lagoon you take to the ocean. I am sure it sits back a little due to beach erosion and hurricanes. We enjoyed the pools so much we didn't care if we went to the ocean. If we ever return to Hilton Head Island, SC we will definately stay at this resort.

Crowne Plaza Not Up to Standards

by TripAdvisor Member froggy09

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel with my wife and children for three days from July 20-23, and was very dissappointed. I had stayed ther twice previously (once when it was the Marriott and once as the Crowne Plaza) and expected a well run hotel with exceptionally high levels of service. Instead I got a beautiful hotel that missed the mark on the finer points of hotel service.

First, the good stuff. The hotel is in a wonderful location and has beautiful grounds that should offer a relaxing vacation. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The beds were average and the concierge was very knowledable and helpful. The bell/valet staff were also very professional and friendly.

Unfortunately, that's where it ends. The hotel seems to be running on auto pilot with littel concern for customer satisfaction, and for the price I paid ( about $200/night) I expected everything to run smoothly.

My problems started immediately at the front desk. I arrived around 1:00 pm and was informed that my room was being cleaned and that check in was at 4:00 pm. That wasn't unexpected and I asked the front desk how long it would be before I could check in. The attendant asked me to wait a seconds and left the desk. Five minutes later he came back and gae me the exact same line I he had said before. I was refered to the health club to change and enjoy the scenery. Around 3:30 I finally checked in only to be put in a smoking room instead of the nonsmoking I needed for my asthmatic children. The front desk person had assured me that the room was nonsmoking. I called the front desk and asked for different room. The front desk person told me he was with another person and I'd have to hold. Ten minutes later, I hung up and called back. I again explained the situation and also noted that the cleaning people had put the ashtrays in drawer and there were cigarette ashes in the drawers on chairs and on the balcony in my "clean room." I was then refered to a manager and was put on hold again. The manager told me that I was not guaranteed a nonsmoking room with my reservation but he managed to "find" me a room when I pressed the situation because of my asthmatic children. The new room was a handicap room, but it was clean and adequate but most importantly didn't reek of smoke.

The room was nice, but the bathroom facilities were lacking. The water pressure was vewry bad and would go from adequate to a trickle on a regular basis.

The elevators were in disrepair and there was foul stench of hydraulic fluid when you entered and exiteid the elevator. On the last day I noticed that someone was testing the elevator that was landing about 6 inches above and below the landing.

The cleaning staff would also woke up my family every morning at 8:00 am knocking on doors saying "housekeeping, and left piles of dirty laundry in the halls to be oicked up later instead of removing them as they went. Not exactly a resort atmosphere.

All of this would have been acceptable except for the service that I got when I tried to reach the front desk for help. No matter when I called to ask for something the front desk person would tell me he was with anothe guest adn put me on hold for a long time. This obviously raised my stress level and put a damper on an otherwise nice sunny day. It seemed that they were under staffed at teh fron desk and never had more than two people working even at heavy check in and check out times and less than that at others. It seemed the staff were told to put guest on hold and hope they'd give up. It worked for me.

At one point, I went down to talk to a manager (which I was never able to get to) and I found that other guest ahd been given "nonsmoking" rooms that were infact smoking rooms and they were going thorugh the same hassles that I was.

Finally, the resot charged a $10 resort fee that was not included in the rate and I think it was a rip off. They gave a card explaining that it was for wireless internet, telephone connections and a shuttle to the golf club. I didn't use any of these and feel that the hotel is subsidizing other guest at my expense.

In summary, the hotel is a beautiful place with nice large rooms, but you need to be prepared for the frustrations of a high end hotel that doesn't have its act together on the small stuff

No gems in this crowne

by TripAdvisor Member dubnerw

Our experience at the Crowne Plaza was not all that we had dreamed of given our "discount" rate of $195/night (not including the $9/day resort fee, occupancy tax and state tax). My husband and I spent five days there for a professional conference from July 20-24th.

We had high hopes at first glance, but quickly became disillusioned by the following:

1. A void of customer service
We booked our rooms at a rate of $145/night-the hotel had agreed to match a third party rate after we called asking if we could book by phone in order to remain in a conference "block" of rooms. Imagine our surprise when we received a confirmation letter listing our rate as $195/night. When I called the hotel, I was told that this was the conference rate and that they would be "in trouble" with their event planner if they agreed to give us the alternate rate. I spoke to six people over the course of four days including the resort manager, the revenue manager and two employees of Intercontinental Hotels, the resort's parent company. I received multiple excuses of why they couldn't give us the rate that they had promised us. The resort manager stated,"We are at full capacity the week of your stay so there is no way we would consider giving you this rate no matter what you were told by X "(name of parent company employee who told me everything was taken care of).

The other irritating absence of customer service was housekeeping's lack of response over three days (then we gave up) to our request to replace or launder our comforter, which had crusty matter on the top right-hand corner.

2. Hidden Fees
Buyer beware-there is an extra charge for almost everything and many of these fees are not made clear beforehand. Two valets aggressively tried to wrest control of my car keys ignoring my request to self-park. While I understand that there is daily fee to valet park, leave me alone if I don't want you to park my car!! Beach chairs? Nope, not in the $9/day resort fee-they're extra. Internet access? Bring a stopwatch. It is "free" in your room unless you are on line over twenty minutes-then the charges begin to accrue.

3. It is all about the "O"-overpriced, over-crowded and over-rated. If a garish nautical theme is your taste, then this resort may agree with you. Not only was the decor dated, but the housekeeping staff needs to attack the rooms with Magic Eraser to remove the wall scuffs and to invest in vacuums with stronger suction since our carpet always had "debris" post-cleaning. THese things caused us to feel like the room was never quite clean.

We had entered our stay with trepidation due to reports about the noise. Our first two nights, this was not an issue despite having a room adjacent to the busy elevators. The next two nights were a different story. Young children were shrieking and running relays up and down the halls at literally all hours and the addition of an infant next door vocally expressing his/her unhappiness around the clock made for two rough nights despite one pair of ear plugs (no one responded to our request for a second pair) and the complimentary "background noise" CD.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools were packed-it was only due to the kindness of fellow guests that we managed to sit next to one another.
The beach is public, so it is first come, first serve in terms of space.

The indoor/outdoor pools and the jacuzzi are visually palatable but....While I do recognize that this is a family resort, I don't want to share the jacuzzi with young children. Young kids were packed in the jacuzzi at all hours and frankly, this is inconsiderate of the other adult guests. Many guests were commenting in the elevator that they were "grossed out" by the tepid pool water making references to the large number of children in the pools.

5. Food
Our experience with "Brella's" was food that was overpriced and average at best and cold and unappealing at the worst. The service was consistently slow and the wait staff was flat. Not the chipper, sunny personalities that you expect at a beach resort. Luckily, we located many local restaurants with terrific food and friendly service.

Cmpared to other $200+/night hotels, this was a disappointment. And given the staff's admittance that they didn't care about delivering what they promised since they were full, I can say with confidence that the Crowne Plaza will never see us again...I hope it was worth the $200 to them....

Fire Drill with no info!

by TripAdvisor Member altom17

I was very disappointed with the rude employee I dealt with upon check in and checkout. I was told about the 10.00 resort fee for coffee (before 9:30-lobby floor) and newspaper and I aksed if it could be waived if I didn't partake and she said "No". When I asked for a late check out she said to come back the morning of checkout and so I did. Of course, there she was again and she told me she could only give me 15 extra minutes! Wow.
The night before we (my son and I) threw our most valuable possessions in a backpack and evacuated the building after a fire alarm started. No one from the hotel came around to ensure the safety of guests and we met a guy on our floor that went back to his room to watch TV because he didn't hear any messages from employees about evacuating. After 20-30 minutes by the outside pool, we were admitted once again. When we asked what had happened the employee said "That is up to the fireman to determine". The next day, I asked again what had occurred and again got no response! They claimed they didn't receive the paperwork back yet (?)
I would never stay here again. The breakfast buffet was 15.00 a person and that would have been for my nine year old son as well! So we ate off the property except for a child's meal ordered by room service. They couldn't get the fries and hotdog meal correct either. The fries were cold and I was sorry I wasted all my money for a beach resort where everything was "extra"-including painting sand dollars and umbrellas and beachseats. Plus we weren't on the actual beach. We had to walk through the grounds to get there and the beach itself had hard wet sand and lots of wood and seaweed around. It looked nothing like the beautiful brochures of SC beaches. Their jacuzzi had a broken rail that woukld come out of teh ground when you came in or out. C'mon now. That is just dangerous.
The only good thing about the hotel was the comfortable bed. We asked for a room upgrade but were told it would be an extra 50.00 a night and I was just annoyed because the miniscule terrace we had overlooked the parking lot and had huge leaves and bugs in your face. For 150/night plus tax for two nights and a third for 100 I would have stayed somewhere else. By the way, the one morning I went downstairs at 9 am to get the most of my "resort fee", the coffee urn was empty and I had to wait another 10-15 minuites at least to get my $10.00 cup of coffee.

We enjoyed most of our stay at the Crowne Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member gaylenhazel

We were here here last week. This place has it ups and downs. We also were there when they had the "fire drill" as a previous poster noted. Although the staff told us there actually was a small fire somewhere. I had the earplugs in my ears that they give you at check-in and slept through most of the fire alarm! My husband kept looking out the door for any smoke, a fireman, even a staff member. Seeing none, he did not wake me for 20 mintues. I wish the staff or a fireman would have given some guidance. The place is overpriced for what it is. We however, got it on Hotwire. We paid about $100 a night. I also hate the stupid $10 use fee. We didn't use anything they said it covered. We loved the grounds, the staff, the beach. Can't comment much on food. We liked the breakfast buffet but thought it was overpriced. We ate off grounds the rest of the time. Oh, I purchased one drink poolside and since it was $8.75 I didn't get anymore. That ticked me off! So.... byob. I would never pay $200 a night for this place. I would stay here again if the price was under $100. Hilton Head is a wonderful place to visit. This place needs a little up-dating.

Nothing to Write Home About!

by TripAdvisor Member legalease

We just returned from our 5 day stay at the Crowne Plaza on Hilton Head. My family and I have stayed at this hotel before. As the previous posters have mentioned, the customer service is not very good. The front desk was rude at best. We arrived at 1:00 p.m. and the man checking me in stated that since we were so early that our chances would be slim on getting a room. We did get the room through hotwire. He mentioned it no less than 5 times. It was very clear that they do not like hotwire or priceline. Which makes me wonder why they participate in the program. I asked if we could upgrade to oceanview (expecting to pay additional). He stated that it would be an additional $70.00/night. I have stayed in a oceanfront room at this hotel. Definitely not worth $70.00/night. Our room had possibly the worst view I have ever had at a hotel. My husband was so upset by the rude behavior at the front desk that he was going to speak to the manager the next day. However, just decided to stay elsewhere next time. The Marriott is much nicer than this hotel. We will just pay more and stay at the Marriott next time. The Docker is the pool/beach restaurant. The food was pretty good. The average entree was $8-10 (Hamburger/fries - Chicken fingers/fries). We spent approximately $42.00 per lunch (2 adults/2children). The beach was nice. Pool very crowded on the weekends. I did not have a problem with the $10.00 resort fee. They do not charge for parking (unless you valet). Many resorts are now charging for self parking.

Great Location and Great Place

This is an experience to enjoy. It has a private location with very well kept grounds. The beach is great. Check-in went well and the room was clean, well furnished, and quiet. Every request that we had was handled by the very friendly staff. This is certainly a repeat visit resort.

Comments