Daufuskie Island Resort And Breathe Spa

421 Squire Pope Road, Daufuskie Island, South Carolina, 29926, United States

• Amazing!

I am in love with Daufuskie Island! I have been a memeber sense I was a little kid and went to Daufuskie every year and sometimes even twice a year. When I read the comments saying it is run down and they have gone bankrupt it hurts to read them because I was there in its glory! I was so shocked to here it had closed because every time I went down for a vacation it was full of people! Daufuskie Island has brought me so many memories that I will charish forever! Going down when I was a kid during easter time and doing the easter egg hunt at the Inn and then fun and games at the pool! My sister came home one day and said I was on the computer and the Daufuskie Website was taken down. I was crying because Daufuskie was like a second home for me and we were about to buy a cottage down there. My mom was about to book a trip to Daufuskie and she made it for Hilton Head instead because she wouldnt know if she could get her money back or not. It breaks my heart to see Daufuskie become bank rupt because every time I went there it was full of people and brought you so many memories to take home! I have made friends down there that I still have today! The cottages in Daufuskie were amazing and I loved every minute of my stays there! I still can not believe it is shut down and I hope in the future it re-opens because it is always an amazing trip when you go and you will be happy you took the trip! Good bye Daufuskie Island, I love you and hope to be with you again soon! 3

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

On Hilton Head

I haven't stayed at this resort, although I have seen Samantha Brown of the Travel Channel extolling its charms on TV.

The Daufuskie Island Resort is REALLY on Daufuskie Island. The sign is just the area where you go to take the ferry over to Daufuskie Island.

More about Daufuskie Island Resort And Breathe Spa

The Westin, Hilton, Hyatt, and...

by davidb4732

The Westin, Hilton, Hyatt, and Daufuskie Island resort are all nice resorts. These are quite pricey but there are reasonable hotels such as the Red Roof Inn which is in a good location or even the Holiday Inn which is on the ocean in one of the best locations. The only con is that's where all the under 21 crowd hangs out...at least that's what I did when I lived there before I could get my fake ID.

A Trip to Daufuskie

by grandmaR

Daufuskie Island is only accessible by boat. There are no bridges. If we took the ICW, we would pass it going south after Hilton Head. Unfortunately I have no digital photos of it.

Before the Europeans arrived, the island was populated by Yemasees Indians and they called the island Daufuskie, which meant land with a point. The island was home to several plantations until the Civil War, and then it was abandoned. Although the island after the war was populated mostly by Gullah who are the descendants of freed slaves there is no truth whatever to the story that the island name is Gullah for "The First Key".

Samantha Brown of the Travel Channel has done several pieces on the island including a30-minute segment in "Great Hotels & Resorts " and "Best Island Hotel's in America" in 2004. Apparently Jen Schefft, of the "Bachelorettes", went to Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa, for her fantasy date in November 2004, but I don't/didn't watch that show, so I don't know about that.

There is a private ferry service and the Daufuskie Island Club runs a ferry which is also contracted by the county to provide public ferry services between Hilton Head (Salty Fare Emabarkation Center) and the Melrose Landing on Daufuskie. You can also take tours from Hilton Head. Day Trip Costs on the ferry are $36.75 for Adults and $18.90 for Children 6- 12 years old. Children 5 and under ride free. People with reservations to stay on the island get to use the ferry for free.

Residents use golf carts and bicycles to travel around the island, although there are a handful of cars and trucks on the island. Personal vehicles are not allowed in some areas.

There are two historic lighthouses on Daufuskie Island. The Bloody Point Lighthouse built in 1883 and the Haig Point Lighthouse built in 1873 (photo 2)

The boat to Daufuskie Island

by Tom_Fields

Daufuskie Island is linked to the mainland (that is, Hilton Head Island) ONLY by boat. There is no bridge, and if the locals have their way, there never will be. They rather like being a bit isolated.

The boat ride from Hilton Head to Daufuskie Island is a delight, equal to the trip around the island itself. Along the way are many interesting sights.

Go to Harbor Town, Shelter...

by davidb4732

Go to Harbor Town, Shelter Cove, and Daufuskie Island. Daufuskie Island is nice because there is no bridge to the island and the Gullah Culture of the old African Slaves is still present on the Island.
Golf, HHI's number one attraction.

Shore of Daufuskie IslandShore of Daufuskie Island

Approaching the Daufuskie Island MarinaApproaching the Daufuskie Island Marina

Looking across the water to Daufuskie IslandLooking across the water to Daufuskie Island

Cooper River Landing, on Daufuskie IslandCooper River Landing, on Daufuskie Island

Location for a beach wedding

by kateespo

I am clueless to this area, but my fiance and I are eloping next month, and heading straight for Hilton Head to do it. Any suggestions for a beach wedding location? Maybe a gazebo or some palm trees? My officient will not cross waters to Daufuskie Island, so that is out of the question. THANK YOU FOR ANY FEEDBACK!

RE: Location for a beach wedding

by MandaJ320

The southern end of Forest Beach is very secluded. The Marriott resort there is a nice place. I'm sure Sea Pines has a lot of wedding locations, also. Good luck!!! :-)

Comments