Holiday Inn Hilton Head - Oceanfront

Costs 141% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn Hilton Head - Oceanfront

Directly On the Beach

by Keywest9 about Holiday Inn Hilton Head Island

Lovely junior suite with a side view of the ocean on the fifth floor with a very nice king size bed. Large pool right on the ocean with tons of lounge chairs.

Very disappointing

The only good thing about this place is its location right on the beach. The pool is OK though the pool furniture is filthy. Everything else needs major improvement, however.

Breakfast and dinner buffets were both substandard - food in warming trays was mostly cold and rubbery. At the dinner buffet, they had the nerve to add an 18% gratuity to the bill for a party of 2 - for a buffet, where you are serving yourself everything except for water! I generally tip well for service - not for self-service! To make matters worse, there was still a blank place on the check for a tip, to trick you into tipping twice. This particular scam is common in Europe but we did not expect to find it here.

Maid did not remove trash or replace water glasses. Bathtub drain was almost completely stopped up - took hours for tub to empty.

The bars have a very poor selection of liquors and the bartenders have a limited repertoire. In fact, all the liquor comes from miniature airline-sized bottles.

Bottom line - the only reason to pick this place was its proximity to the beach. However, in our experience the negatives far outweigh that single positive.

Scam artists...

If its my fault, or if we were scammed...I still have to find that out. Our trip started on the wrong foot so maybe that is why I am so bitter. Originally, when I made my reservation I was under the impression that I was making a reservation at the Hilton Oceanfront Resort. I pulled the direct phone number from what I thought was their web site, and called to make our reservations. The phone was answered "Its a great day at Hilton Head, how can I direct your call?"...I assumed I was connected with the Hilton, I was wrong. Basically, we discovered upon arrival that our reservation was at the Holliday Inn. When I tried to figure out what happened, the woman at the front desk simply looked at me and said "This is the Holiday Inn." Yup...I had to thank her for clearing that up for me. She was a huge help.

We were able to check in to our room early, which was nice. We had an ocean view room with a deck...FYI, the deck only fits one person, I think its literally one foot out. It was raining when we arrived so we decided to just grab a bite to eat. There is a strip mall accross the street that we were able to find some decent food and cute little shops so we spent most of the afternoon there. Friday night was dinner at the hotel. Warning...don't waste your time. The buffet was $25 per person which is fine becuase they have crab legs, prime rib, shrimp...a nice variety of food...but the food was less than stellar and the service was awful. It took our waiter 15 minutes to greet us and take our drink order, another 30 minutes to get my son's mac & cheese out, I never got my drink refilled, and it took another 30 minutes to get the check. Of course after a two and a half hour dinner my 1.5 year old was not a happy camper. There is a great little pub next door...eat there instead. Note to parents with children, peek in before eating at most of these places...some of them are a little smokey but others are fine.

Saturday the weather cleared up, we spent the entire day on the beach...the only other positive aspect of this hotel is its proximity to the beach...had lunch by the pool (an average pool), and played some miniature golf. That was an excellent day, mainly because we didn't spend any time in the hotel.

Overall the hotel is old, there was a soda can in the stairwell the day we got there that remained there until the day we left, the sheets had a damp musty smell and feel to them, the showers are tiny, the food is way overpriced, none of the staff was friendly or helpful, the woman in the gift shop snapped at me (we were browzing upon arival and I said to my husband "I hope the weather clears up", she snapped back "Its not going to get any better so get used to it."), and its close to the beach...You decide if its worth it.

Oceanfront Great

by TripAdvisor Member wvshopper

If you are looking for an average hotel on Oceanfront this is the place for you.

I found the room to be an average room, including a mini-refrigerator and microwave. Extra pillows on the bed. TV in cabinet, Variety of TV channels, and HBO, small table and chairs.

The bathroom is small......but holds the usual, bath tub,toilet,and sink, and not much counter space.

We were there 3 nights and our room was clean each day and we were provided with clean towels each day.

There have been mixed reviews from previous writers, I suggest that you ask to see a room before choosing to stay there or check-in. These rooms would satisfy some and not be enough for some.

You can not beat the proxmity to the Ocean---it is great. You are right on the ocean.

The hotel has a pool, outside bar with live music nightly(seasonal).

We had breakfasts bar at the hotel, but after 3 days of eating the breakfast buffet I was getting tired of the same stuff.

We had dinner one night at the restaurant at the hotel---it was just ok.

Stay at Holiday Inn Adequate

by TripAdvisor Member DuffWed

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront in Sept 2005. The hotel met our expectations, as we were not looking for luxury. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach.
The room was adequate, a bit old, but clean. It suited our purposes. The hotel pool was mid-sized, but we did not use it. Beach towels provided were old and needed replacing. The beach is beautiful, right in out in front of the hotel. Lounge chairs can be rented, this is not through the hotel though, and I thought they were too expensive, they only let you rent by the day.
There is a beach bar that was nice, the mixed drinks tasted watered down to me.
Overall, this is a good option for those looking for a more moderately priced room in an area where lots of rooms go for double what we paid. It is not for those seeking top notch amenities or service. We would probably consider staying there again if ever go back to Hilton head.

Paying for Waterfront

by TripAdvisor Member BCKL78

Stayed here for a family reunion. Hotel is a bit worn, but completely managable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Pool area was OK - decent snack bar and Tiki Bar area. Breakfast buffet was OK and a good value: waffle station, omelet station - normal stuff. It would have been nice if they had complimentary beach chairs. Property is short walk to dozens of shops and many dining options. Best part is that the hotel is right on the water and that's what you are paying for. Other waterfront properties on HHI are much more expensive.

Great Place, Location,Location,Location

by TripAdvisor Member carmac

The location of this hotel more than made up for any problems with our stay. First of all, the rooms are showing a little age, but the manager said that they are scheduled for a remodel in the fall. The wireless internet was out our entire stay due to a lightning strike. But the front desk let me use thiers for as long as I needed. The maid assigned to our room was very nice and always looking out for us. The Breakfast Buffet was excellent, (A tip) Get the Buffet to go and bring it to your room. One buffet was more than enough for my wife and I, (They give you 2 -to go boxes). Also the Tuesday 2 for 1 appetizer deal at the bar was a great value. We ordered the Chicken Quesadillas, They were huge, we could not eat it all. Bartenders were super. Tiki bar was convienent. Bring or rent a bike (The beach and shops are all bicycle friendly with bike trails everywhere. All in all I cant wait to go back. I give this hotel a A- plus for value.

Avoid this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hannasgrace

The only thing you are paying for at this hotel is the location. The accomodations are like that of a 1 star motel.

Rooms- The beds are small and uncomfortable. We stayed in a room with two double beds. One of the beds had dirty sheets with brown spots. The bathroom had a dirty cloth thrown over the shower curtain rod. The bathroom had hair in the shower and on the floor.

Pool- WHile a great location, as it is on the beach, the pool itself was extremely dirty. The crowd at the pool was reminiscent of college spring break. The pool is located on a public beach. You are supposed to wear a "pool pin" to identify you as a hotel guest. This is supposed to prevent non guests from using the pool. The security guard on duty did not check the pins. There were several people that came off the beach, stopped at the tiki hut, then took a swim in the pool. One non guest (underaged) proceeded to stack pool chairs and dive over them into the pool. The guard eventually made him stop (after the stack reached five chairs high), but did not confirm he was a hotel guest (which he wasn't) or kick him out. At one point a drunk man in jeans jumped into the pool and mouthed off to several guests (this man was not a hotel guest either). As the day wore on, the number of obnoxious drunks increased. THe security guard did little to keep order as he was more interested in making friends than doing his job. I felt sorry for the families with small children staying at the hotel.

Room Service- We decided to order room service, only to open the menu and see they stop serving at 9 pm.

My recommendation would be to stay at the Crowne Plaza. You will pay the same amount of money for a room, but you will get far better accommodations, expecially if you are traveling with children.

Stay Away

My family visited for 3 nights on the 3rd week in June 2006. The hallways had a musty smell, the rooms were old, air condistioner is loud, they have what appears to be former inmates dressed in security uniforms, I am sure high school diplomas are not required of any of their staff. Rooms are equivilent to a poor Motel 6, hopefully you do not know what I mean, but I recommend you not waste your money. The best part is that you are right on the ocean.

Comments