ResortQuest Sea Pines

21 Pope Avenue, Executive Park Drive, South Carolina, 29928, United States

More about Hilton Head Island

On the putting greenOn the putting green

Fort Mitchell signFort Mitchell sign

One of the archive photosOne of the archive photos

Even the smallest creaturesEven the smallest creatures

Outdoor Adventure Suggestions

by Ohiocondor

I am going to Hilton Head with my in-laws late this summer. Not my first choice in vacation options, but occassionally one has to oblige in order to keep famililial harmony. Anyway, I am looking for some outdoor activities I can partake that will help me keep my sanity throughout the week.

I love to kayak and have my own whitewater boat that I could probably bring along. Are there any stretches of beach with low population densities that I could kayak the surf without having to worry about hitting swimmers? Also, how big is the surf, 2 ft, 4 ft, 6 ft? Four to six feet would be ideal.

I read a post in off the beaten path about sea kayaking. Any recommendations on outfitters to contact regarding renting a boat? Also, could anyone recommend a good kayak guide with good (away from touristy areas) routes?

Any good hiking paths? I read a little about the Audobon Newhall Preserve. Could anyone recommend some good hiking paths there? Any other hiking paths in natural areas with no development? Any other wildlife viewing opportunities?

How about fishing? Where would a person go to do some saltwater fishing (I don't imagine you can on the public beaches can you)? Do you need a license? And can you recommend a few deep sea fishing guides (I don't know if it would be feasible to hire a guide for some deep sea fishing since I would be the only one in my group interested, but I would like to get some prices and see if I could possibly join another group for the day)?

Wave runners?

I would be interested in any other ideas you might have. I love the beach and being in the sun, but I hate just sitting there baking. I can't stand spending the afternoon in tiki huts or bars, and I really don't care for being around lots of other people (I know it sounds bad, but my idea of vacation is getting away from people rather than going where there are large numbers of them). I love the outdoors, nature, wildlife, etc...

I apologize for the length of the post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Outdoor Adventure Suggestions

by catalysta

Last May was my first trip to Hilton Head, and it wouldn't've been my first choice either. Before going there I thought of it as one big golf course. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much there is to do besides baking on a beach, and it is designed as a relatively eco-friendly area.

Kayaking is GREAT, there are lots of protected waterways in the area, both salt water & estuarial, and protected harbors for putting in. Pinckney Island, which you see from the bridge as you drive on to HH, is an undeveloped Nature Preserve. You can kayak or walk trails there, free maps are available, and several outfits do kayak tours with small groups. Birding is fanstastic, and there are dolphins all around when you're out on the saltwater!

Broad Creek is that name of the big salt water inlet that cuts into HH at Spanish Wells. There is a ton of free tourist info available most everywhere when you get there, with listings for everything you've asked about. Shelter Cove Marina on Broad Creek might be a good place to put in, but there are several options.

Sea Pines Plantation has its own small nature preserve right there, with trails & a lagoon with gators & all sorts of birds. Audubon Newhall is aopen all day with free maps, no admission fee, so you can do self-guided tours (my recommendation is to go early & avoid the heat of the day).

HH is also very bicycle-friendly, and it's cheap to rent bikes by the day or week. As for fishing, boating & waverunners, rentals & charters are everywhere there's a marina. You can also fish from one of the several docks.

Oh, and you can catch the small cruise to Savannah for a guided tour day trip (a lovely city if you haven't seen it yet), or take a small boat trip over to DAufuskie Island, which is still fairly prmitive & fascinating for a slice of Low Country lifestyle as it used to be. Have you ever read any of Pat Conroy's books? The movie "Conrak" was made from book "The Water Is Wide", about his time teaching in the black school on Daufuskie.

RE: RE: Outdoor Adventure Suggestions

by Ohiocondor

Thanks for the information, it is tremendously helpful.

We are leaving next week. I will post how it was when I return.

Travel Tips for Hilton Head Island

Play golf

by mikelisaanna

Hilton Head is famous for its golf courses, many of which were designed by top course designers such as Robert Trent Jones and Tom Fazio. There are numerous courses scattered around the island, many of which are open to the public. The greens fees are not cheap, but the courses are generally in very good condition and bound to give most golfers a good challenge. The courses that we played featured plenty of water hazards, sand traps, and tight fairways.

The most well known golf courses on Hilton Head Island are those at Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines, which hosts an annual professional PGA pro golf tournament. In addition to courses on the island, there are also a number of courses nearby on the mainland, which are within a 30-minute drive.

"Oysters-R-Us"

by aceensor about The Old Oyster Factory

The Old Oyster Factory is a wonderful and fun way to enjoy island fares. Ask for a window seat and treat yourself to watching the locals harvesting endless beds of oysters! During the warmer months, stroll out on the back deck to get a closer look! The feature is oysters in just about every way you can imagine along with a variety of other yummy seafood and meat dishes. Raw, Oysters Rockerfeller and Oysters Savannah are amongst my favorites. They also have a great crab leg special during their happy hours that's always a treat.

Real Estate in Luxury

by BruceDunning

"The Harbor of Sea Pines"

This is the delux edestination point on the island. Where everybody is everybody, they used to flock here to see and be seen. It is a scattering of small shops and the harbor is the main attraction, just to hang around and look at the people.

"Panoramic view of why you are here"

Looking out onto the sound going to the causeway. It is all marshy, and not able to develop, otherwise someone would have tried.

"Map eye view of island resorts"

There are 12 major resort projects on the south end of the island, and Sea Pine, Hilton Head are the largest and oldest. I personally worked on liquidating real estate at both of these properties in 1975-77 during a recession period. It took a lot of trips to get the job done, and not all pleasure. Back in those days, the island was just coming into vogue and much more pleasing to get around and eat out without crowds.

Comments