Resortquest Rentals At Palmetto Dunes

Palmetto Dunes Resort, South Carolina, 29928, United States

More about Hilton Head Island

Harbortown shopping areaHarbortown shopping area

Lemington Rear Range LightLemington Rear Range Light

KayaksKayaks

Ferry landingFerry landing

Any Ferries or Water Travel directly from HHI to Savannah?

by kenvil63

My wife and I plan to stay at a time share the week of November 3 and use HHI as our base of operations to visit both Charleston and Savannah FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR ALL THREE PLACES. We plan to book one night at a Charleston hotel and stay over, stretching our visit to two consecutive days. (Holiday Inn sounds great--Trip Advisor)
We would like to cut down on our driving after that excursion. Are there any sailings directly from HHI to Savannah? I know there's a ferry to another island. How about Savannah? Or, should we also plan to stay over one night in Savannah?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any tips you can give us.
Kenvil

Re: Any Ferries or Water Travel directly from HHI to Savannah?

by Robachu1

According to the article above a ferry is a possibility in the future.

*My wife and I had a similar trip in 2005 (staying in Charleston and Hilton Head) to the one you are planning for November. We went in August and it was extremely hot. You are wise to have chosen November for your trip, I think.
Charleston was wonderful, especially the plantations just outside of the city and the dining. Hilton Head was not as nice as we had thought, although for golfers it must be paradise. Savannah, however was a treat. We only drove down for the day but found it to be both beautiful and historic. If we had it to do over again (and we may) we would definitely spend more time in Savannah.

Re: Any Ferries or Water Travel directly from HHI to Savannah?

by lukas_mattias

my wife and i are planning a very similar trip in the next few weeks, any recommendations on where to stay and what to do (we have 1 week) also, car rentals?

cheers

Travel Tips for Hilton Head Island

Walk the beach...

by joits

I love the beaches in Hilton Head. We stayed in the Forest Beah area and our house was less than 20 ft from the beach. What I liked was that the sand was pretty solid and it wasn't difficult to walk around. Waking up early in the morning and takin a walk and feeling the morning breeze. I met up with a lot of old friends and it was cool chatting and catching up while walking on the beach.

On the Pond

by grandmaR about Steamers Seafood Company

We walked across the street to a place called Steamers for dinner. They said it would be 20 minutes wait for a no smoking section table, and 15 minutes for smoking (it WAS about 6:30 on Saturday night). I asked about the restaurant on the other side, and the guy said that there was only one waiter over there and he was really tied up. I asked if that was a new kinky way to wait tables, and he just kind of looked at me.

I asked if we could just sit at the bar and eat, and he said yes. We ordered root beer (would have felt strange about sitting at the bar and drinking water - almost as bad as a distant cousin of my mom's who when a date took her to "The Block" in Baltimore (think strippers), ordered milk at a bar).

I got a salad and a plate of grits, and Bob got a dozen oysters and some steamed shrimp. It took us about half an hour to get served, and by that time people were stacked up waiting for tables.

Bob again complained about the oysters not being cut out of the shell and he said the shrimp were undercooked and didn't come out of their shells very well. I was happy with what I ordered. Total was $35.75 after they applied the discount for being at Sea Crest.

Before we were allowed 5 photos for a tip, I had edited the picture I took of the bar with an inset of the oysters. Now that we are allowed to have 5, I've given the oysters a photo of their own.

Since then I have read several scathing reviews of Steamers - in one case the person was given soup and no spoon, nor could any spoons be found in the place. They suggested that the person use his chips to scoop up the soup.

RENT A BIKE FOR A WEEK!!

by VeronicaG

Bicycling was a joy at Hilton Head. The flat paths wound throughout the area--it was great exercise and a regular evening routine. If I rose early in the day, I would venture out before the heat baked the pavement and me!!

The children in our family each received a bike for the week. They looked forward to rambling around on their wheels--the adults took turns taking them out and about. Not only was it a constructive pastime, it was a tremendous amount of fun!

Comments