ResortQuest Rentals at Isle of Palms & Wild Dunes

Isle of Palms & Wild Dunes Resort
Booking.com Orbitz.com eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

More about Isle of Palms

Charleston from the riverCharleston from the river

Marina from where the cruise ship was in 2003Marina from where the cruise ship was in 2003

howbout that ocean view from the back deck!howbout that ocean view from the back deck!

volleyball tourneys are watched from the back deckvolleyball tourneys are watched from the back deck

Beach and tides at Isle of Palms

by OTKrista

We rented a house at Folly Beach a couple of years ago and were disappointed (epecially our then 2 year old little boy) that at high tide the beach completely disappeared (at least where we were) and I wanted to make sure that wasn't an issue at Isle of Palms before we book our house for this yearr! Thank you in advance for letting me know!
Krista

RE: Beach and tides at Isle of Palms

by oopsyd

We go in late July/early August and that has never been a problem. The beach has always been perfect. We also have a child and started taking him to the beach at IOP when he was 10mos old. He will be 4.5 this summer.We have always stayed about half way to Wild Dunes after the bend in the road toward the marina.

RE: RE: Beach and tides at Isle of Palms

by OTKrista

Thank you so much for the info:)! Are there any restaurants you would suggest that might be more kid friendly? They are good, but sometimes it's nice to have a relaxed atmosphere for us:)!
Krista

RE: RE: Beach and tides at Isle of Palms

by oopsyd

There are many kid friendly restaurants in that area and some of them have really good food. There is a place on IOP, downtown right across the street from all of the touristy shell shops and the Ben and Jerry's ice cream stand. It is called the One-Eyed Parrot. The food is really, really good and they are very kid friendly. It's not a "Kid" restuarant really but there are a ton of choices on the kid's menu and the staff is super kid-friendly. It is the restuarant upstairs not on the beach level. The beach level place is called the Banana Cabana and has a more family-joint kind of menu. The food is not so great but the outside seating in right on the beach and there is usually a musician playing at dinner time. Usually it's pretty mellow and our son likes watching the performers play . On the beach right near the restaurant there is a guy who has kites almost every evening. The"kite man" is great fun for kids and he lets children chase the kite tails as they come off of the ground. He usually gives children a little sand dollar necklace that says,"I caught the kite man's tail". It's a fun family sunset activity.
There is a great burger place on Sullivan's Island called Poe's. It's just a short(5-10 minute) drive from IOP. If you make the trip into Charleston, Justine's Kitchen is our very favorite place to eat and they are very, very kid friendly. Also, don't miss the Charleston Children's museum and the IOP county water park.

Travel Tips for Isle of Palms

Six Miles of White Sandy Beaches

by grandmaR

Isle of Palms has a fascinating history. According to the IOP.net website:

"Originally named Hunting Island and then Long Island, it's thought to be at least 25,000 years old, and first inhabited by the indigenous Seewee Indians. The Seewees were said to have greeted the first English settlers to the area by swimming to the ships and carrying the travelers to shore." After the English visits, some of them were inspired to try and reach England in their canoes-all lost at sea in storms.

"During the Revolutionary War a British Army contingent of 2,500 men attempted to raid a colonial encampment on adjacent Sullivan's Island." Many men drowned and the attack was a failure.

"The area was of significance again during the Civil War, as a point of departure for the CSS Hunley, the first submarine to sink an enemy vessel."

"The island remained without permanent inhabitants until the late 19th century when the island became recognized by locals of the area as a refuge from the summer heat and tempo of Charleston. The island was purchased in 1899 by J.S. Lawrence, who renamed it the Isle of Palms. In 1906 a 50 room resort hotel was built to offer the first permanent accommodations. By 1912, James Sottile constructed a spacious beach pavilion and an amusement park with Ferris wheel. Accompanying transportation developments enabled residents of Charleston to catch a ferry to Mt. Pleasant, and from there catch a rail trolley car to Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms."

Isle of Palms celebrated the 50th anniversary March 7-9, 2003 Isle of Palms is the name of the marina we usually stay at when we go to Charleston by boat to visit our son. I didn't realize that Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms were two different islands until I went to look it up.

"In the 1970's the rest of the world discovered the joys of the Isle of Palms, and real estate development blossomed. In 1975, the Sea Pines Co., one of the major developers of now renown Hilton Head Island, established a similar resort enterprise on 900 acres of land at the northeast end of the island. Originally named The Isle of Palms Beach and Racquet Club it was renamed The Wild Dunes Beach and Racquet Club in 1984 and today is simply called Wild Dunes. With nationally recognized golf courses and other resort amenities, Wild Dunes has become a major vacation locale on the South Carolina coast."

I thought I had some pictures of the golf course, but can't find them.

The Isle of Palms Marina where we usually stay at one time had a Wild Dunes part, but it is now all Isle of Palms, and is managed by the municipality.

There are many shops here,...

by WILDEFLOWER

There are many shops here, hotels, the windjammer where Hootie and the Blowfush played. Beach volleyball, shell hunting, ice cream shop and nice places to eat down town Isle of Palm. Laying out and watching the sunrise.

See the sun rise, pack a...

by WILDEFLOWER

See the sun rise, pack a picnic lunch, bring your own trash bag, stay off dunes(sometimes there are loggerhead turtle eggs in them. They are an endangered speices). Bring sun tan lotion, the sun is very different down here and it is very humid. However you can get serious wind burn too! Laying out. Relaxing!

When I lived here. I...

by WILDEFLOWER

When I lived here. I sometimes helped deliver to homes in Mt. Pleasant where there is needy families that live on prime land that has been passed down thru the generations. These people will starve rather than give up their property that there forfathers owned. I have witnessed this. I met a woman that used to help cleab plantation homes. She had to be one of the last. She was a beautiful African American woman. She never said how old she was and I never asked. When I met her she had been on her floor spit shining those old wood floors. She had the most beautiful wood floors I think I had ever seen and her home was immaculate. I felt like I was back in time the moment I stepped into her home. She had relics of the past and could tell you about every one of them.

Packing List

by WILDEFLOWER

I always dressed in layers here. In the morning it was cool. By noon you would roast depending on where you were. Then by evening you needed a light sweater again. Most the beaches do not have bath houses. You'll need to find a gas station to change or get drinks etc... I would not take my camera to the beach again unless it was one of the watertight and waterproof ones. The sand and moister will get in your camera no matter what. I had mine in a ziplock bag and that sand still got in my camera. Went thru two of them while living in SC. Great fishing off the beach.

[ View My Guestbook ]