The Palms Hotel

2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

1126 Ocean Blvd., (formerly Holiday Inn), Isle of Palms, South Carolina, 29451, United States
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about The Palms Hotel

Disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member SWSeattle

Upon checkin, our group of four learned that the one-bedroom suite didn't really have a separate bedroom. The front desk attendant didn't apologize for the confusion and treated us as if we had three heads.

After entrance to our "suite" we immediately noticed that the room had a certain urine stentch and the carpet hadn't been vacuumed in some time. One of the double beds was dirty - the first night spent in sweat-odored sheets. The room fan/AC unit was filled with dust and also hadn't been cleaned in months.

Breakfast goes until 10am. If you arrive at 9:57am, expect to be ushered out. (Or grab what you can before they take it away!)

Maid service happens before noon. If they come knocking at 10:30am, expect to agree to a pre-noon cleaning. (In our case, they cleaned AROUND us at 11:15am.)

Overall, there were extreme cleanliness and service issues with the hotel. We would never stay nor recommend someone else stay at this property again.

Loved the Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Luv2Travel59

My wife and I stayed here for her Birthday weekend. We really enjoyed our stay and the staff went out of there way to make us comfortable. The only problem we encountered was that they are changing from a Holiday Inn Express to The Palms Hotel. There was some new construction work going on, painting, new signage, ect. Even with this happening I would highly reccomend this hotel to my friends and family. The view of the ocean is wonderful. We will be back this spring.

Nice renovations!

by TripAdvisor Member DSNC80

This was a very nice hotel. I got an excellent internet rate, and didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is obviousy recently renovated, very clean, comfortable bed, nice amenities. My only concerns would be coming here during peak season because of the lack of parking and because there are restaurants and bars right next door which no doubtedly would make for a very noisy stay.

Wonderful beach

by TripAdvisor Member wheresthenexttrip

As the Palms Hotel is one of only two hotels on the Isle of Palms, we could overlook any minor problems with the hotel because the beach/island is so wonderful. Our beachfront room was not luxurious but perfectly acceptable. It's conveniently surrounded by 4 small local restaurants which made it easy to grab lunch during a day on the beach. Be sure and try the Boathouse restaurant at the end of Palm Blvd for dinner (make reservations). Awesome. In all, a perfectly wonderful 4-day stay. We definitely will stay here again.

Great For the Young or Young at Heart

by TripAdvisor Member RR_Travel4Ever52

I am writing this as a 55 year old with my wife, coming from the Midwest and staying for three nights. May 18, 19, 20, 2007. Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Monday morning. We stayed on the third floor, interior room with no window to the outside. The hotel does not have parking on premises. You are provided with a $5.00 parking pass to the unsecured municipal lot about a block away. The hotel has an elevator that was quite slow and on occasion would break down. Stairs were quicker and good exercise. The staff was cordial, but not overbearing. The hotel was quite clean. This includes the room and all public areas, halls, pool, and under hotel walkways. Pool did not open until 10:00 am. There was easy access to the beach via a short wooden access bridge, directly in front of the hotel. They had a very nice variety for breakfast. If you had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up, housekeeping did not disturb you.
There is a bar next door, Coconut Joe's, which is virtually against the hotel that has live music most nights. At least it did every night we stayed there. Music stops around 10:00 or 10:30 pm. Yes, we could hear it in the room. Our room happened to be against that same wall and at the same level. It was a nice roof top bar with an eclectic mix of people and good drink selection. Closed at 11:00 pm. There is a virtually constant police presence on main street which gave us a secure feeling.
It was a nice area to stay, fabulous beach, with relatively easy access to Charleston and other areas. I would stay at this hotel again, as it was a very pleasant and enjoyable area to be in.

Real Nice Hotel with a Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member geoheim

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Palms Hotel and we had a very enjoyable experience overall. Our room was a real good size, clean and with comfortable beds. The bathroom was a decent size and water pressure in the shower was very good. Housekeeping was very prompt and Susan at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly. Our partial ocean view room provided a real nice view from our patio. The hotel itself has easy access to the beach.

This was our first trip to the Isle of Palms and we just loved the area. The island is primarily residential with a safe, relaxed feel to it. The commercial area is about 3 blocks long with a few beach-type retail stores and one other hotel. There are also 3 bars (one on each side of the Palms) with decent, reasonably priced food and drinks. They also have a good assortment of local musicians playing outdoors most afternoons and every evening til around 10 or 11. There are also several more bars/restaurants on Sullivan's Island which is 3 miles away. And the Boathouse Restuarant on IOP was very nice with an excellent menu. Charleston is an easy 15 minute drive from IOP and we took a couple trips in to explore the great history, beautiful houses and outstanding restaurants the city has to offer.
It's a wonderful city and we can't wait to return. We will definitely
stay at the Palms Hotel when we do.

Coconut Joe's

by TripAdvisor Member TYLJNN6

My husband and I went there a few years ago and stayed at the Holiday Inn right on the beach and the food there is excellent and we are going back next month. I can't wait it was really great!! Jeannie Taylor Kenefic, Oklahoma

not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member justgrits1

We spent the weekend there and were not very impressed - it was clean enough, but the ammenities were lacking - the parking was terrible - given the status quo of the Isle of Palms, I was so very disappointed in this hotel. I expected a belle-hop, I expected a non-smoking environment as they advertised, but did not enforce, I expected convenient parking or at least valet, I expected the grounds to be well landscaped and the hotel to be aesthetically pleasing - non of these were met. We could not use our balcony in our beach front suite as the guests below us (in this supposedly non- smoking hotel), were constantly smoking like chimneys, and we could not sit outside and enjoy the view, breeze, and most assuredly the fresh air. I have respiratory problems, and we look for hotels with a non-smoking policy - they have one, but it is not enforced. I think if they would enforce their non-smoking rules, they would improve the level of guests that patronize their hotel. I overheard several comments from guests that were staying there this weekend as well, and they were saying the same kinds of things. They will probably not be back either. I really wanted this to be a pleasant experience, as we were looking for places to stay in the future. Unfortunately, unless the new management hires an interior designer and landscaper, as well as provides people with something special for their stay - and first and foremost enforces the no-smoking policy - we will not be back - we could have gotten the same sort of experience with a Days Inn or low-rent motel - and for about 1/3 of what they are trying to charge people. I have traveled all over, and I can tell you, these people are milking the fact that they are in the Isle of Palms, they have a fantastic location, and that it is beach front - and, that is all they have going for them - just not enough for me -

Beautiful location - right on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member vikesfan

We stayed at this hotel in August 2007 and I have to say the location is awesome - right on the beach at Isle of Palms, SC. The front desk staff was very friendly and we found the room clean and well-kept. Loved the private balcony with the ocean view! The only thing I didn't care for was the parking situation, you have to park across the street in a parking lot to the tune of $5 per day. I guess I think there should be courtesy parking for hotel guests. But that is a small issue. The rest of our stay was great. Plus, they had a nice continental breakfast in the a.m.

Great location, good price

by TripAdvisor Member KMM3

This hotel was nice, especially for the price. This definitely wasn’t a five star hotel, but if you are looking for a nice, clean hotel right on the beach for a good price, this place is perfect. I got an ocean view room with a king bed for $159 a night. This was the cheapest I could find for an ocean front hotel in this area. Not to mention that there was only one other hotel on the Isle of Palms. All the other places to stay were vacation rentals. The rooms and the hotel were clean. Great location right on the beach. There was a bar/grill on both sides of the hotel. One of the bars had live music every night until about 10pm. There were also shops directly across the street. It was only a 20 minute drive to historical downtown Charlestown. The only negatives were that the pool was kind of small, the parking lot was across the street, and the elevator was really slow. But there were only three floors, so it is not that far to take the stairs.

Comments