Litchfield Beach Hotels

• mikejennings2010 profile photo mikejennings2010
  • Reviews: 1

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort: Great location, average rooms, poor service

I am posting this similar review on multiple travel sites. My wife and two small kids (both under 3) and I stayed in the Bridgewater for a week. You cannot ask for a better location. All Bridgewater rooms have a nice view of the ocean and exclusive access to a private pool. However, that is where my praise for this facility ends.

Problem 1: Customer Service
We booked EIGHT months in advance of our trip so we could reserve suite 401. In reading reviews, and talking to other travelers, this is the suite to have. We put down two nights for a deposit and were told by their reservations people the ONLY way we could get bumped to another room was if the owners wanted the suite that week. In which case they would call us and we could find another room.
Sure enough, we show up and sorry – you’re in room 316. I was told someone was currently in that suite (NOT the owners!!!) but this other one was just as good. I was made to feel like a liar when I tried to explain that we had reserved that suite. All I got was an “sir, we do not take reservations for specific rooms”. There was not even the common courtesy of an apology. I will say they offered us two other suites, but we had to stay in 316 that night as the other two were not going to be available until the next day. Now anyone with kids will tell you that you unpack once and that’s it. So maybe this is on us for not wanting to unpack, repack, move and unpack again.

Problem 2: This is **NOT** a hotel
The Bridgewater is a managed condo complex with individual suite owners. What that should mean to you who have not yet had the experience – your experience may (and likely will) vary depending on how much (or little) the owner of your suite cares about your vacation experience. For example, the suite we were bumped to (316) had industrial carpeting, peel-n-stick “hardwood floors”, a “king” bed which was two doubles pushed together, a balcony door that did not lock, furnishings from local garage sales and kitchen utensils/equipment – that while they qualified for their individual purposes – left a LOT to be desired. But hey – we did have marble countertops.
We had family travelling with us in another suite (302 I believe) that had MUCH more thoughtful ownership. They had nice Berber carpeting, tiled floors, a real king bed and nicely appointed furnishings. The kitchen situation was still rather utilitarian, but it worked.

Problem 3: Housekeeping was SUPER friendly – but dang!
Our housekeeper was VERY friendly and appeared to be quite the hard worker. I don’t want to ding her personally. But our suite was somewhat gross when we arrived. Dishes were dirty in the cupboards kitchen surfaces had to be cleaned, and my personal favorite – after about 10 minutes on the carpeted floor, my son the crawler had black hands and knees. Fortunately there is a Piggly Wiggly (that is a real store) across the street so we could get some cleaning supplies. We spent about 2 hours cleaning every surface that a child might touch. We didn’t go as far as to shampoo the carpet, but we managed to mostly cover it in a quarantined “children area”. There was also a family of ants vacationing with us in the kitchen. They occasionally joined us for mealtimes, but I did not extend then much hospitality.

Bottom line, we came, we stayed and we survived. Will we stay there again? Not a chance. I don’t feel like they cared one bit if we stayed or left. I’ll say again that the location was AWESOME. But that won’t bring me back to this place. For the price we paid, you can go almost anywhere else in the area.

Knowing that the suites are not identically furnished and appointed like a hotel, who in their right mind would take a gamble on getting a “good” one? If I can review pictures and amenities on-line, but cannot be guaranteed that I will get the suite that I want, why would I ever take the chance of not getting exactly what reserved? For me and my money, I will never take that chance here again.

The Bridgewater is ocean front and has a private pool.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Golf, Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written June 9, 2013

• Emmjai profile photo Emmjai
  • Reviews: 201

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort: Ocean View Condos

Great! Good sized condos with great facilities, and ocean view. Swimming pool and direct beach access.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average