Northern South Carolina
"April 6, 2001"
We left Wacca Wache (Murrells Inlet) in the morning. When we got to Barefoot Landing, STEEL MAGNOLIA, SQUIRT and MOONBOW were all tied up there. We went on past.
This time when we go through the RockPile (see N. Myrtle Beach) it is high tide so we don't see the edges of the rock ledges, and it is sunny which gives a whole different perspective.
We call the marina that we have made a reservation for (Lighthouse Keeper near Little River) on the radio, and on the phone but they don't answer. So I say, forget them and we went on the Cricket Cove. They ask if we mind being on the face dock, but we don't, so we head in. We see the guy coming down the dock in a golf cart as we run aground. Bob swears and backs off and goes back out into the channel, turns around and approaches from the north side. We are tied up with 40 miles at 7.2 mph for a total of 677 nm since leaving Miami.
After we tied up, SEA BONDS came in and tied up behind us. They are a Moody, and draw 5.5 feet, and he \ says they are having engine problems with oil usage, so they have been taking it slowly. Bob did the laundry there and was happy with it. They had 2 washers, whereas there was only one at Wacha Wachee. We ate at the restaurant (called a bar and grill), and had filet which was very good, but the chef forgot to wrap it in bacon. They brought the bacon later and he came to apologize in person. The food was very good -apparently under new management. Rolls were hot, and service was good - refilling Bob's tea every time he emptied it.
There was a golfing paper on the table and I read it. It had a coupon for a free desert with an entree so I got that.
"April 7, 2001 - going out the inlet"
There is a party boat that goes up and down the river, but it just makes some noise and not much wake.
We get away from the dock early, just as LUV IT goes past. After talking to Herb on the SSB, we decide to go out the Little RIver inlet and come in the Cape Fear River to Bald Head island. LUV IT goes down toward the Sunset Beach Pontoon Bridge which, since it floats on the water, has NO vertical clearance and ALL boats have to stop and wait here until it is pulled away over to the side. It opens only once an hour. That is one reason we are going outside - to avoid it.
We cautiously go out the inlet - there isn't much wind, but we know that the markers are moved to account for shoaling and we don't want to miss any. We see a whole bunch of guys boat camping on the inlet peninsula - they have tents, and boats drawn up on the shore.
After we successfully negotiate the inlet, we put up the sails, and eventually turn off the engine. On the VHF radio, we hear people going through the pontoon bridge every hour (or missing it) and then the CG comes up on the radio and says the bridge is closed until further notice!! He doesn't say why, but I gather it is because of too low a tide.
Next: Bald Head