Anderson Ocean Club & Spa

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Anderson Ocean Club & Spa

Pleasant, Relaxing, A Bit of Class

by TripAdvisor Member nameisalreadytaken

The Anderson family owns numerous hotels and businesses in the Myrtle Beach area, of which the Anderson Ocean Club (AOC) is newest (November, '07). It's a casual beach hotel but with a touch of class. Built primarily to be sold as condo units, the public reception areas might together fit into a larger lobby bathroom at the Marriott Grand Dunes (the fanciest hotel on the beach), but this does yield units that you could actually live in, with a feeling of fine finishing, and furniture of quality that would fit almost any home - even two flat-screen LCD televisions with a great many channels. The well-equipped kitchenettes have coordinated rather than happenstance appliances, including icemakers in the refrigerators - more to be appreciated than I realized at first. The angled mini-suites said to offer 'ocean view' do that very well - no squinting for the ocean somewhere out there! The pools are adequate though modest by the flamboyant standards of beach resorts.

As with many beachfront hotels here, AOC offers no food service beyond limited vending machines, although an associated restaurant is just across the street (and some rates include buffet breakfasts, a $9 value each). I requested a high floor and got the 17th floor. At 26th Street, AOC is more than a dozen blocks from the busy central nightlife, and in early June it was quiet and occupied somewhat sparsely. The beach was ample, sandy, and clean. I found AOC very pleasant, comfortable, relaxing, and clean; I'd recommend it more for a romantic couple or for adults than as a family resort.

To be picky, AOC still has rough edges. These did not bother me much as I was at conferences all day, and I feel that the friendly staff would have taken care of these items quickly had I made more of an issue of them. On arrival the room lacked towels, iron, and ironing board. Towels were immediately furnished in response to my request - but no washcloths or bath mats. The iron came a day later. Every day brought a different but incomplete complement of those items, and extra hangers requested beyond the four supplied never materialized. A newspaper was delivered on one morning only; otherwise, the nearest was in a machine down the block - the hotel has no gift/convenience store. Parking is a block away, behind the much older Anderson Inn. (Directly across the street from AOC, the dumpy Inn is primarily retained as lodging for staff of other Anderson-owned hotels, although it still offers rooms for rent.)

My one-bedroom suite, came to $163 daily (for three days in early June) with breakfast for two. Traveling with my wife, I chose AOC largely for its rated cleanliness. The Marriott - my conference venue - was orders of magnitude fancier, but a tad too much so for my idea of a beach hotel (not to add much pricier!). The AOC met my needs quite well. (But see also my review of the nearby Caribbean Resort, where we also stayed for three days.)

A Fairly Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member thefitzs6

After trying to book at the Ocean Reef Resort (our usual place) and finding nothing, I did some research here on Tripadvisor and came up with the Anderson Ocean Club. Made reservation online and opted for the $20 "insurance" - if you need to cancel or change your reservations it is done at no charge (other than the initial $20) - otherwise you can lose your deposit. It was a good thing as I had to change my dates twice because of conflicts. I recommend just paying the insurance fee.

Guests included myself, 2 teenage sons, 10 year old son and his best friend. We arrived at 5pm and found a spot in the loading/unloading area. A bellman got us a luggage rack straight away and the boys loaded it up as I checked in. Brett was at the front desk and he checked us into a 1 BR on the 4th floor. I requested higher but there was nothing available. It worked out really well and I enjoyed the 4th floor. It was perfect. Check in was quick and easy. He explained parking was in a garage across the street and behind the Anderson Inn (not affiliated). That was a slight pain in the rear but nothing unmanageable. I parked in the garage and then we unpacked. The 1 BR unit has a bedroom with 2 queen beds (nice mattresses - comfortable), a dbl sofa bed and a pull-down murphy bed. The murphy bed has a nice mattress on it, but the sofa bed is not very comfortable - that should be reserved for the little ones who don't care! There were plenty of sleeping accommodations for us, though the living space was a bit cramped. I would have preferred a little more living space, but we managed ok.

I found the room to be nice, well furnished and functional, but not terrifically clean. It wasn't nasty but it also wasn't immaculate. I noticed a little dust here and there. The bathroom was very clean though, and big. The TUB - WONDERFUL. It was a large round jetted tub with a shower. The tub is nice and deep and has quite a few jets - it was fabulous. There were lots of towels and also a closet where we were able to keep our boogie boards, sand toys, etc.

The bedroom isn't terribly big but had enough space for two queen beds, a sitting bench, a dresser, a nightstand - the standard stuff. It has a flat-screen TV (the TVs all have hookups so the kids could play their Playstation II and such). It has a closet with an ironing board and iron.

The kitchen is decently equipped with the standard utensils, a full-size fridge, a microwave, an oven/stove, double sink, dishwasher, etc. I suggest taking a bag with you to one of the 2 floors with an ice machine and filling it with ice and keeping it in the freezer. There is an ice-maker in the freezer but it is slow and small. If you like to pack a cooler with ice for the beach, you'll need more than the icemaker makes. There is a small bottle of dishwashing liquid on the sink, but there were no dishwasher tabs or detergent so you may want to bring a few tabs with you. There are a few pots, pans, mixing bowls, glasses (they have no plastic cups whatsoever), etc. There was always a dish towel at the sink.

The living area has an armoire with bedding for the pull-out sofa and a safe, which we could never get to work properly the whole time we were there. It has a small kitchenette with 4 chairs, a wing chair and a small sofa and cocktail table. It has a nice-size flat screen TV with hookups. The balcony is off the living area and had 2 plastic chairs and a small plastic side table. It would have been nice to have a couple more chairs but it wouldn't have left us much room to move around.

The day after we arrived, the big kids were hanging out in the room when the housekeeping guy came to clean, so I just asked for towels and he gladly obliged. The next day the room was a bit messy with sand on the floor, the kids' boogie boards and sand toys here and there, and we were in a huge hurry to get out, so I left the housekeeper $10 and a note that apologized for the mess, and when we returned from Hard Rock Park the place was immaculate and he had left us a note telling us where he had put everything. He cleaned up the whole room, left us extra towels, some dishwashing detergent, etc. I saw him in the hallway later and he smiled at me and said "thanks!". Apparently they don't get tipped very often and it was apparent that he appreciated it. He was very good.

There is a small stacked washer/dryer set in the room and let me tell you that we used the heck out of them! Every time we came back from the beach we threw the towels and suits in the wash and washed and dried them, and they were ready to go again when we were. It was a Godsend.

This is a SMOKE-FREE PROPERTY - meaning, smoking is prohibited anywhere on the property. This was one reason I chose the AOC. That didn't stop the guests one floor down from smoking every few minutes on their balcony directly beneath us, so that every single time we wanted to sit out on our balcony we had to breathe cigarette smoke. I started to complain and decided not to. I didn't want to get them kicked out of the place. I probably should have though... It got really, really old. I probably would next time.

There is not much to the hotel besides a front desk, rooms, pools and a spa. I did not utilize the spa so I can't say anything about it. There is no gift shop, no game arcade, no common areas besides the pools, no restaurant except for the place across the street, not much of anything, but the rooms are pretty nice.

The pools are very small though there are several. There is a small lazy river with tubes, two hot tubs, a couple of pools and a snack bar stand which is only open occasionally. It sells cocktails, beer, wine, soft drinks, munchies, hot dogs, etc. The pool area has quite a few loungers sardined all together but every morning by 6 am they were all "reserved" by what I call chair hogs. They get up at the crack of dawn, put their towels or shoes or whatever on chairs and go back to bed. Honestly, I didn't care because I'm not a sun worshipper and lying on a lounger next to a pool is just boring. I'd rather be out on the beach with the kids, but had I wanted a lounger I'd have taken their stuff off the chairs and taken one. It is a ridiculously selfish practice and it should not be tolerated by the management. I noticed chairs with nothing but towels on them for hours at a time, and people who could have used those chairs sitting on the ground!

It was next to impossible to get one of the hotel's beach umbrellas and chairs that they set up on the hotel's beach area every morning. Every one we saw had a "reserved for _____" sign on it when we would get down to the beach, so we just brought our own little chairs and set up in front of the hotel's umbrellas. You are not allowed to set up your own umbrella in front of the hotel's umbrellas, however. If you have a beach umbrella and you want to set it up, it must be alongside or behind theirs. I don't know how anyone sets up alongside theirs though, as they leave absolutely no space between them.

The beach was semi-crowded on the Tue, Wed and Thurs we were on it, but was manageable. I can't imagine a Saturday in June though, ugh. It seems to get crowded by 8:30 - 9:00 am, it clears out of the familles with very young children by about noon, then the teenagers-young adults come out, and by 6-7pm it was fairly deserted. We really enjoyed going down around 5 and staying until about 8 pm. You don't have to deal with getting fried but there's still plenty of sunlight and the beach is much less crowded.

We decided to try out the new Hard Rock Park. NC & SC residents get a discount on the regular $50 ticket price (too high) - we paid $39 each. The park is OK. It's not amazing or awesome but it's something to do. My kids really enjoyed the Led Zeppelin coaster, the Magic Mushroom garden (haha!), and the foam ball fighting place the most. I don't know what it's called but it's a two-level place with tons of foam balls and stationery ball-shooters. Basically it's a free-for-all where kids can get out lots of energy and frustration beating the heck out of each other with foam balls. The rest of the park was marginal. They do have musical acts playing here and there around the park though, and that was cool. They have a very short fireworks display most nights I think but it was nothing great. My kids decided to take advantage of that time to ride the Led Zeppelin coaster during the fireworks show when the line was short. Maximum RPM, one of their big rides, was closed when we went and that was a big disappointment. SUGGESTION! Go in the morning, enjoy about half the park, then leave when it gets super hot. Just have your hands stamped and keep your parking receipt and your tickets and you can come back later when it's not so hot. We did this. We left the park and went to the beach for a few hours, cleaned up, ate dinner and went back to the park about 9 pm, and stayed until 1 am when it closes. It was VERY nice at night. Food is very expensive so I suggest eating before you go, eating after you leave, and then eating before you go back.

All in all it was a good stay. I would stay at the AOC again, definitely. I would probably reserve a larger room next time. I had to call the front desk several times to request things (batteries for the remote, sheets/blanket for the sofa bed, etc) and every time I called they responded immediately. The only time I really had to wait was on checkout - I needed a luggage cart and the front desk clerk called for a bellman. No one came so I went down to ask again. One happened to be walking by and he said he would take care of it. He came up with a cart, loaded it himself, then loaded our van with all our stuff. I gave him a $10 tip for his trouble and he, too, was very grateful. He had earned it, and I recommend tipping these guys - they deserve it.

That's all I can think of. Don't hesitate to stay at the AOC. If something is not to your liking, they will take care of it.

Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member vacationqueen33

It is hard to believe the review that is after this one. The staff were very attentive and courteous from the minute we pulled up to the hotel. The parking attendants immediately greeted us and explained the valet/parking garage options. Valet is $5/day unlimited and parking garage is free and only a short walk across the street. If you don't mind walking it is your better option. The front desk was very helpful and friendly and checked us in early. Yellow beach towels must be checked out at the front desk. The fitness center and business center are located on the third floor. All equipment is new and good quality. You will need to get the key for the business center from the front desk. There is a bathroom on the first level past the lobby so you do not need to keep going to your room if you are pool side. We stayed in a one bedroom ocean front room. I loved the lay out and everything was new. I felt at home with all the granite counter tops, jacuzzi tub, flat screen tv's and cozy comfy beds. The kitchen has all full sized appliances so you do not feel cramped like in an efficiency hotel. If you're staying more than 3 nights buy your breakfast, lunch and snacks needs at the grocery store, coffee is provided but NOT liquid creamer. Our high speed connection was appropriately placed near the dining area, I plugged in my lap top and ran my office out of my room perfectly. The cleaning staff were very nice and if you don't see them personally leave them a note of what you need you should find it when you return. (hint:small tips have always helped me wherever I stay) I found it funny that although we were very qualified prospects for purchasing a condo we were never hit on once by the sales team. Magnolia's across the street is hit or miss. There are many other inexpensive places to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets that you do not need coupons :ie look for cars and senior citizens. However my only complaints are the poolside bar and martini bar were not open due to no liquor license yet and there is no coffee bar. I have been to Myrtle Beach many times and would definitely stay here again.

Luxury at it's BEST...in Myrtle Beach

by TripAdvisor Member OCNVLR

My husband and I stayed at this lovely hotel in March. WOW! What a beautiful place! We stayed in a corner 2 bedroom suite, when you walk in you realize the owners went the extra mile from the room layouts to the furniture. The 2nd bedroom was off to your right when you walked in. This room had 2 double beds and it's own balcony. The main bathroom was lovely and conviently located right outside the 2nd bedroom. The master-suite had a beautiful king sized bed with it's own private bath and own balcony. Of course, flatscreen TV's were in both bedrooms and the living room. The kitchen area had granite counter tops and everything you could think of in the kitchen. Then there was a dining area with a huge table and that leads into the living room where the large sliding glass doors opens up to a beautiful ocean view. The staff were very pleasant and friendly, there is ample parking just across the street (and don't worry there is a security guard that will be glad to walk you to your car). We can't wait until we can go back and stay here again! If you want to spend your vacation in luxury, then this is the place!
OCNLVRS from VA

Nice for Myrtle Beach

by TripAdvisor Member lily140

My group of four were pleased with the spacious two bedroom suite. The kitchen was nice, but the coffee pot wasn't user friendly. We all liked the beds and the pillows. No complaints about the bathroom. We did, however, have to ask for extra toilet paper and laundry detergent is not provided. The balcony was huge and well stocked with tables and chairs.

I was very surprised to find that the business center and fitness room opening hour had been changed from 6am to 9am. Anyone who travels can tell you that this is NOT acceptable. The front desk or a staff member let me in several times before 9am. This policy should be reexamined. Also, the pool area could use an armband policy, like the neighboring Dayton House. The pools were small and crowded on the property, but it was a nice grassy fenced area. The staff was friendly, some overly so (look, don't touch). Our group hopes to stay at this location again next May.

It was great,,,,,,Everything's new,,,,,,Read my review

My, hubby and my brother stayed for 2 nights. may 16th and 17th. and it was during bike week
big mistake! hubby and i had a cpl.'s massage at 2pm that Saturday
i know that the staff that were giving us the massages, were embarrassed. although, they had soothing/ relaxing music on, we could still hear bikes riding by outside. they were loud! not that relaxing :(
which is really not the resort's fault so, we really didn't say anything. but, i bet , since it was their 1st experience w/ bike week, they''ll do something about it before next year's bike week.
and, the prices for their spa,,,etc...... services were alittle too steep. our couple's massage was 200 bucks! when we stayed at the bellagio in las vegas, same massage was $195.00 if i recall. and, that's the Belagio! lol
a lady told me , down at the pool, they charged her 28 bucks just for a nail polish change!
the pools/ hot tubs were great although not much area to work w/. the guests seemed to have been packed like sardines.
the resorts maid service only change bed sheets like every 3 days unless u request otherwise. our shower was huge which, was a plus. the view was great. the location of the resort was great as well.
it didn't hurt that the resort was new as well.
across the street is Magnolia's. supposedly the resort's restaurant. buffet style. we went for breakfast. the food was ok. a little bit of everything.
don't forget to ask the front desk for the 2 dollar off coupon. we saved 6 bucks.
when we were sat, it seemed like forever to get a waiter/ waitress, so, we just got up and helped ourselves to the buffet. lol
i have no patience. esp. if you're hungry, thirsty, and hungover.

i would do the same if i were u.
they tend to get busy. they will come around eventually.

we would consider going back but, NOT during bike week
lol

Another plus, was when we drove up,,,,,,,,
the valet opened our doors to the vehicle, helped us out, , welcomed us, took our luggage straight to our room, and parked our vehicle

very nice and new, enjoyed my stay

by TripAdvisor Member luckey4u

Extreamly Nice Hotel. Staff Were Very Helpful And Pleasant .The Room Was Spacious And Clean. More Like An up scale Apartment. Definately Not A Flea Trap Hotel. There Is No Smoking Inside Of The Hotel Sign At Desk Warns Of A $ 75.00 Fee For Violations . Valet Parking Fee Must Have Been Increased To $ 8.00 Per Day ( As Posted During My Stay ). Valet Parking May Be Prefered : Garage Is 1 Block Away Across A Fairly Busy Road . I Chose To Park My Own Vehicle And Found The Entry Way And The Elevators To Be Pretty Trashy. There Are Several Restaruants And A Sports Bar And Grill Within Walking Distance. So if Your Not Into Driving You Could Pretty Well Park For Your Entire Stay . There Is Shopping Nearby But Would Require Driving Several Miles. Maps Are Easy To Come By At Myrtle Beach For Most Any Attraction You Maybe Interested In.

beautiful place

by TripAdvisor Member sandyandjeff23

This is a beautiful place. When we arrived the doorman unpacked our car, took my things to my room and placed them in each room. It was absolutely great. The bed were awesome. If i could change little things it would be papertowels or another dish rag and towel. Our washer was not working and they never got that fixed, bummer. but the place was amazing.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member nicstamper11

This hotel is one of the nicest ones we have stayed in at MB, and we have stayed in many. The rooms are definately the most spacious, well decorated, and cleanest of all hotels in MB. The resort is definately luxurious and I would stay there again in a heart beat. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel, and the pillows are to die for (you can buy them at the front desk for $12). However, there are some drawbacks I wish we would have known about before going. The pools are small, there is little pool deck room for laying out, and definately not enough room for all of the people at the hotel. We were there the first week in June, which isnt peek vacation season yet, and found it hard to find a chair to layout in by the pool by 10am. The hotel isn't that kid friendly. We saw several other hotels with bigger pools and even indoor and outdoor waterparks that would have been more enjoyable for kids. Also, the parking garage is a block away, which doesnt seem that bad...but when you have kids, a stroller, ect. it becomes difficult. You also have to walk between two "trashy" hotels with people standing outside (which was a little scary) to get to and from. We were excited to eat at Magnolias across the street since we had read great reviews, but were dissappointed with the buffet selection. This is a GREAT hotel for couples, or people with older children. If you want clean and spacious, this is the place.

No housekeeping, alot of noise

by TripAdvisor Member Irishfootball

Stayed at Anderson for 7 days. Had a beautiful 2 BR with oceanview. Beds were outstanding. Room was spacious. Major problems were:
1) Housekeeping was almost nonexistent. First couple of days went well then on the 3rd day, the housekeeper showed up after 5:00pm when we were getting cleaned up after being on the beach all day. He got the trash and left some towels. Next day,same story. Next day,he never came. I had to call front desk for towels and to have trash picked up. I complained to front desk.Next morning, I confronted the housekeeper and told him that the beds had not been made in 3 days and I would like better service. The rest of the week the housekeeping was early(by 2:00pm).
2) We had an oceanview room on the 4th floor facing a public parking area. There were loud motorcycles and 4 wheel drive trucks cutting the fool all hours of the night. Racing motors and spinning tires. The morning we left,we got up at 4:30am and there were 3 drunk teenagers hooping and hollering in the parking area below our window. Never saw a MB cop the whole stay. The teens were allowed to act as they pleased. Front desk said that this was a bad time because of graduating senior trips.
3) Wife and I felt unsafe walking from parking deck to hotel and within parking deck itself. You must pass through 2 seedy looking hotel parking lots. There is not a scent of security people anywhere, just signs advising of security cameras.
Overall, it seems the hotel is trying to save money by minimizing staff. If they would hire more housekeepers, the rooms could be serviced better. If they would hire security instead of using cameras, it would be a much safer environment.

We loved being on the beach and around town. We will be back to MB but will come at a different time and stay elsewhere.

Comments