Bar Harbor Motor Inn

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Bar Harbor Motor Inn

O.K., Needs work

by TripAdvisor Member curly1969

Stayed at the Bar Harbor Motor Inn, July 2005, for 11 nights. When I read some of the reviews I was a little afraid. But it was O.K., The cleaning of the grounds needs more improvement. There was a baby bottle on the floor for the whole 11 nights, The pool was o.k. could of used more cleaning. In other words the outside needs more cleaning. As for the rooms we were 4 families, each our own rooms, but each had a different cleaning lady. Mine was great I always had fresh towels, and she mopped the floor regularly, as for the beds the mattress needs changing but bearable. Next to the fridge (which was not moved for awhile) had some bottle caps, but did not find anything disgusting. All in all it needs improvement. This year I am back in Myrtle Beach, but unfortunately I am not stying there. A little to noisey and needs a little cleaning. But I survied it. OH! The location and view of the ocean front is great! And the front desk staff was very friendly!

Bar Harbor-Ok but keep looking

Bar Harbor was the only hotel I could find online that had a reasonable rate for the month of August. It was a decent place to stay in a pinch but I am not going back for a couple of reasons. If you have a large group of people, either get two rooms or don't stay here. We had to beg for extra towels every single day even though they knew we had six people in our room. We even tried to give the maid extra money to help us out but it didn't work. There was only one ice machine for three buildings and they told us to go buy our own ice. The elevator although quick was really gross and dirty at all times. The room was fairly clean but nothing special. The door to the balcony was not a sliding glass door but a door you had to push open and it was heavy and noisy (it woke up the baby a couple times). The only things that were kinda good, it was close to Family Kingdom Amusement Park and it was also close to the pier that had a free fireworks show. Don't back your car into the leaning palm tree in the parking lot, it will smash out your back window. And don't eat at Alli Babba's down the street, my husband and I got food poisoning after eating a pizza there.

Not a place for small children!

by TripAdvisor Member bethyah

If you have small chilldren, then Bar Harbor is not a place for you! My husband and I and our two 1 year old twins had an oceanfront king suite on the 1st floor. The view was not great and the lawn was littered with cigarette butts and trash! Our air conditioner did not work properly. The floor was wet. We stayed there one night and it was not fixed! As for the staff, they were not helpful at all! In fact, they were rather rude! Therefore, we decided to leave and spend the remaining time of our vacation elsewhere in Myrtle Beach.

Great Southern Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member TheRoses

My wife and I stayed the week of Sept. 18th and had such a great time. We had a King Suite and the the room was very clean and there were plenty of towels for us. Great location to the beach. Just a few steps away and the beach is right there. The maid missed us one day and at 2:00 pm I went to the front desk to tell them this and by the time I was back at the room on the 5th floor the maid was already there. Great value for your dollar.Thanks for a great week.

ok but nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member New Adventures

I was disappointed with the hotel after reading many great reviews. The ceiling in our room had lots of cracks in it and one of the door knobs to one side of the bathroom was very loose. There was a stove and refrigerator and microwave, but barely enough room to turn around to cook. I wanted an indoor pool in case of rain. We got the rain, but only stayed in the pool about 15 minutes. To get to the pool you have to go outside. It is closed in by glass. It was supposed to be heated, but the water was much colder than the ocean. When you walk into your room from outside there is a small bedroom. They claim the beds are queens, but are the size of a double. From there you can either enter the jack and jill bathroom or go through the little hallway area that houses the kitchen appliances. In the other room there is another bed and a small table to eat on. That room opens to the small balcony. There is a nice view of the ocean. You can access the bathroom from that bedroom also so not much privacy. You always have to keep both bathroom doors closed for privacy to the bedrooms and then hope if someone uses the bathroom they lock both sides and remember to open them when finished.The rug on your way to the pool is coming up and easy to trip on. Luckily we were only there one day. If staying longer I'd pay a little more and get a hotel down the road with a bunch of pools and nicer rooms.

Lifesaver

We checked into the Bar Harbor about midnight after checking out of the dump we checked into 3 hours before. The room was 50 feet from the oceanfront, spacious decent rooms for the price, and close to all the fun stuff. We did not have any experience with the elevator cause we were on the first floor. The frontdesk was very polite and helpful. The pool was a little dumpy and cold so go to the pool at the hotel next door cause they own that too. This hotel was a lifesaver.

bad choice, wouldn't stay ever again

we were excited to go to myrtle beach. then we arrived at this hotel..we are a large family, and reserved a two room suite. we were told the rooms had been recently renovated and were very nice.... not true. first when we pulled in the parking lot, we seen their indoor pool was built above the parking area. it was leaking very badly. when we mentioned it to the front desk, they said they knew, and didn't seem to concerned. upon arriving to our room, which we werent looking forward to due to the outside conditions, the carpet was dingy. the bathrooms were very dirty. had no light bulbs in lamps, no sheets for the pull out bed. had to go get our own pillows. the staff didn't seem to be concerned. the brochure we recieved was nothing like the room we actually had. our room was bascially two adjoining rooms, nothing like we were told on the phone. and they weren't very big for our family. we were told we would receive a night refund, which we never received. all in all, we would return to myrtle beach, but stay far away from this hotel!!

Hated the dump

by TripAdvisor Member vacafanatic

I have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach since I was 4 years old and now at 25 I think I am a reliable subject to compare hotels. My husband and I made our fourth trip to Myrtle Beach and once again relying on internet photes booked yet another dissapoiting place to stay in Myrlte Beach. We have sheed out big bucks to stay places in the past that were a dissapointment as well so basically you never know what your gonna get. The place was reasonably priced but that was all it had going for it. We booked a suite on the top floor and it was just big enough to scurry around the bed and into the bathroom. The tub was beat up and forget any normal convenienes like a towel rack or hairdryer. Secondly there were no night stands, phone or alarm clock next to the bed instead the phone and alarm clock were hidden behind a dumpy chair in the corner invisible to the eye. There was no plug near the little stand they were put on for the clock so we used the phone for the wake up calls but bot was that dreadful for the mounds of earwax buildup on the receiver was quite unpleasant. Also every day the maid left us a little gift one day some cleaner left on the floor, trash left on the floor another, and lastly dirty towels never picked up from our room. When the maid service did come again the continued to leave the cleaning supplies laying on our room floor but did clean the dirty towels from out room. Parking is terrible and the extra parking across the street was no where we wanted to leave our vehicle. The pool which was located over at the next building was oily and nasty probably because the outdoor showers were never working. Finally the hospitality was so very poor. Asking for an iron is not an option for they only have a couple when they are gone they are gone and for any advice on where to eat or what is happening is such an incovenience for the workers to answer. This is one hotel that should not be labeled in the hospitality business because it is anything but. We decided to stay an extra day vacationing so we checked out and went to the M grande down the street and that was wonderful but that is explained in another review.

Never Again!!

My husband & I stayed here for a week with our 10 & 3 year old daughters. We've never had a more dirty hotel, and we've been going to Myrtle Beach for years! We stayed in the "executive suite". The carpet was dirty; the toilet was running the whole time we were there; the sheets were never changed; pieces of the ceiling were falling; the pool was never cleaned once!; the end table next to the sofa couldn't be touched, because if you did touch it, it would fall; there was a pop can near the pool, that everyday my husband & I would sit on the balcony, we would say "Hey, look, the pop can's still there!" It became a daily joke for us, because the can was there the whole time we were, and it was never moved! We also had a little visitor one of the nights, it was a cochroach!! I know that th are everywhere down south, but I've never had one in any hotel I've ever stayed at before. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Going Down Hill Fast!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member harlyhny

First let me say my husband and I go to MB 2-3 times a year, we have always stayed at the Bar Harbor, and have enjoyed the stay, it was generally a good place to stay for the $$. This time however, was not the same, we first went this year the week of April 20-27.
We reserved a King Jacuzzi Suite, the room was very large, we had a great view, the bathroom although it did have a Jacuzzi was very small, there were no cabinet or sink space at all, there was just enough room for a toliet, and free standing sink. The ceiling fan in the room was hanging so low you had to be careful not to hit your head.(I am only 5'5") The first night we were there, my car, which was parked in the underground garage was broken into, thankfully my satellite radio, cds, etc. were not taken, everything in the console and glove compartments was strewn throughout the car??, there were several boys baseball teams staying at the hotel, perhaps someone got bored, when I went to the desk to report it, I was told perhaps someone was looking for a spare key for a joy ride, (it's a convertible Camaro). The front desk clerk suggested perhaps I shouldn't park it back underground. So there is no security there at all, park at your on risk!!. I also had to deal with the front desk once more during this stay when after over 2 hours of very bad very loud singing from the room below us was still going strong at about 2:30am, needless to say my complaint did no good, as the "singing" continued, I just wrapped the pillow around my head and tried to sleep. We returned to the Bar Harbor a few weeks later as we had reservations for Harley Bike week, we had once again reserved a King Jacuzzi Suite, we were in a different room this time, and our first sign of trouble came upon check in. We were told not to use the Jacuzzi as it had a bad pump, and to do so would cause water to run into the rooms below, we were assured however that the pump would be in the next day and we would be relaxing in the Jacuzzi before days end. The following day a maintenance worker came up to say he was going to get the pump, and would be back after lunch to fix it, after waiting until about 3:00pm my husband went to the front desk and was told that the pump that "came" in was the wrong one, and they had no idea when it would get repaired. The girl at the desk said it had been out for months! Mind you this room was nothing like the Suite we were in a few weeks earlier, this room was very small,
you walked in the door into the foot of the bed, could only get around it from one side, to the immediate left there was a dresser with the tv sitting on top, to the immediate right, there was a small table with 2 chairs, as my mom would say "this room was to little to cuss
a cat" the bathroom area however, was largewith plently of sink and cabinet space, with a BIG pretty pink USELESS Jacuzzi. The "kitchen" area with a sink, micro, and fridge was in an area almost to small to walk through. The view, forget about it, you basically were
looking at the side of the Lands End motel next door. After the Jacuzzi pump fiasco, they
did offer us a whopping 10% discount, and the opportunity to change rooms, we did
change to a different room, at least this one had a view, and you could walk comfortably in it. We will definately be in search of more lodging options, this place is definately going down the toilet. I hope management or ownersof the Bar Harbor read the reviews, and care enough to make it like it used to be.

Comments