2400 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com DaytonHouse

More about Dayton House Resort

No place like The Dayton House

My wife and I just returned home from our stay at The Dayton House.We had a fabulous time!Everything was to our liking from the cleanliness to our room to the courteous friendly staff that made us feel right at home. The grounds keepers do a fantastic job making sure the pools are clean and the lawn is well manicured.They make sure that the sea of tables with bright yellow umbrellas are all in an orderly fashion, reminds me of an Army formation.The maid service does their part in making sure that there are plenty of towels for the guest and that their rooms are cleaned every day.I found the amenities to be quite impressive,from the swimming pools and lazy river to the exercise room, this place has it all for me! For peace and quiet you can't beat this place!You won't find a bunch of drunken loud mouth stay up all night party animals here,but what you will find is families enjoying themselves and having fun.I have read some of the negative reviews from some people about the Dayton House,I'm sorry about your bad experience!
maybe you were just having a bad week to begin with.And for those of you who want a bell hop try the Ritz.The Dayton House has plenty of luggage carts and you can pull right up to the building where you stay and unload your vehicle. Last but not least,Theres the beautiful Atlantic,I had a fabulous view from my ninth floor balcony where early in the morning while having my coffee I could watch the dolphins swim by as they were feeding.I also watched the busy groundskeepers and the hard working lifeguards set up their chairs and umbrellas preparing it all for the busy day ahead.In all we had a great time and look forward to our next stay at the Dayton House.

Wouldn't stay no where but Dayton House

I have been going to Myrtle Beach for 38 years and have stayed at lots
of different places. I am one for staying at a medium priced hotel
instead of newer higher priced places. We stayed at Dayton House during
bike week for 3 years and noticed how clean the rooms, hallways and the
property was. Then they added an new pool that is just perfect for my
child and older people also. WE had a ground floor room beside the pool
and at night by 10pm. the pool area was closed and no noise.

During the day they walked around the pool area numerous times to make sure all is well. Every morning they washed down the whole pool area and even washed the chairs. The huge grass area was great place for kids to play.

If you want a family place to stay with southern hospitality at a fair price, I suggest you try Dayton House. We stayed 8 days and got one night free.

THE CLEANEST PLACE I HAVE STAYED!

Chuck Davis Piedmont, SC

Dayton House Offers A Great Family Atmosphere!!!

My family has been vacationing in Myrtle Beach for many years and have stayed at several hotels which we thought were great. I must say that the Dayton House Resort tops them all. We recently spent a week at the hotel and it truly offers the all around family atmosphere. The rooms are exceptionally clean. The grounds are well kept and offer plenty of fun in the sun or plenty of shade umbrellas for those who need to stay out of the sun. The hotel is within walking distance to a delightful, reasonably priced restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
At no time on the property or in the area did we feel unsafe. There was always someone walking around checking on the pools, buildings, etc. If you are looking for a nice place to take your children or if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing place to stay, seriously consider the Dayton House Resort.

Simply Wonderful!!

My husband and I recently took a vacation to Myrtle Beach and stayed at The Dayton House. We had reserved to Romance Package and were pleasantly surprised with a beautiful flower arrangement in our room and Champaigne already chilled for our enjoyment. The package also included breakfast at the Sea Captian's House down the street which was wonderful! The staff was very informative and helpful in knowledge of attractions and various other info. We had the most relaxing vacation we've had in a long time. I don't see how anyone could not enjoy their stay at the Dayton House!! We will definitely be back!

Great place , rates , location

We have styed at other MB hotels and were looking for a change when we found the Dayton House. The reviews really influenced us to give the Dayton House a try and we were pleasantly surprised. This is not the most modern place on the Grand Strand , but it is kept very clean, close to a number of restaurants and attractions, and the grassy front yard with tables and lounge chairs as well as anumber of swimming pools really do give you the resort feel. . Great for a family vacation. We are already looking forward to our next trip. Only negatives ,as noted in some of the other reviews , lack of parking and the air conditioning units that exhaust onto the balconies.

Great for families on a budget!

by TripAdvisor Member Durango4x4

My wife, two daughters (5 & 3) and I stayed at the Dayton House from 8-1 to 8-10. I would consider this hotel above average in cleanliness and convienance.The main drawback to the hotel is the fitness room. It is located in a side room of the parking garage away from the other buildings. The machines look really nice, but several had problems with their operation. The staff was courteous, the rooms were clean, the rates were good, and the amenities were ideal for a young family. You will not be pampered until you heart is content in this hotel, but you will not have frustrations added to you stay. That is very important to a young family on a budget and I would recommend this hotel to others.

Look elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member BJStravels

I would consider other hotels along the Grand Strand before the Dayton House. I was told by the reservation desk that the "WEST building" had easy access to the beaches. After arriving and finding the west building is across very busy boulevard that does not have a cross walk or street light near by, I complained to the front desk. So by complaining about being in the west building I was moved to one of the main buildings for two of my three night stays. Of course the two nights cost more money!! It is very dangerous to cross this street. The Dayton House complex is very spread out. The fitness room is in a separate building across the parking lot and is not secured. Each pool is in a separate complex. Security is a big problem at Dayton House.
Access to the complex is not secured!!. That must be why there are three dead bolt lock and one chain lock on each door. I prefer corridors and elevators to be secured also when I book a hotel. Parking under the west building is not well light and very closed in. You can gain entrance into any of the buildings without keys. A public beach access is in the middle of the complex making for less security. Our one night that we spent in the West building was our last night and I was glad. The room's air conditioner needed a filter so bad that there was lint all over the ceiling. And the room was located on top of the busy boulevard so the noise was awful. I would not stay at this hotel again!

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member Bantryb

I approached this trip with a bit of trepidation, as I had checked MANY hotel reviews and sites before choosing Dayton House. I checked in, and was delightfully surprised! I was sharing a suite with my best friend and her husband and had requested an ocean view room. The room was clean and well thought-out in design. Enter from outside to a double bed bedroom with LARGE closet (bigger than mine at home!) There was a heavy, solid wood door that closed the bedroom off from the galley kitchen. Kitchen and bath nice and CLEAN. My only disappointment was with the 2 cup coffee maker. Old-fashioned percolator was the other option. Then another solid wood door opens to living area. Small table and chairs for 4, a separate TV, chair and loveseat. I slept on a wall bed for the first time. The desk clerk told me when I called that they were more comfortable than a sofa bed. I think he was right. I have back problems, but slept well on this unit. Balcony is small but adequate for 3 adults. It was the attention to detail, however, that we appreciated. Every morning, someone cleaning up outside at 6:30, when I arose, lawns mowed, many staff quietly going about their business of keeping this place up to high standards. On our 3rd day, workers came and replaced our air conditioning units, even though we'd had absolutely no problem with ours. They were doing it through-out the building, as I understand. Would go back in a heartbeat! Great if you're looking for clean, well maintained facilities, not really fancy, at a decent price. Oh, staff was great too!! Thanks guys!

Not the way it was before

This was certainly not the review I had intended to leave when I booked this resort 4 months ago. I had actually stayed at the Dayton House 4 years ago, and had an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, this trip was not the same. I traveled with my wife and 18 month child. We checked in on a Friday evening and the checkin was smooth. The manager completed our checkin, and insisted we let them know if there is anything they can help us with. We stayed in the "suites" building in an oceanfront room.
The room was clean and in good working order. The evening we checked in, we went out onto the beach for a walk and noticed that there are 2 LARGE drains for runoff from the surrounding streets in the middle of the resorts beach. There were also signs (6) scattered on both sides of the drains stating that there were "high levels of bacteria in the water" in that section of the beach and that "swiming is not recommended within 200 feet" of the signs in both directions. With a small child, we wanted to ensure that this was not a health hazard. We went to the desk at the hotel and they stated "it shouldn't be." The following morning, we asked a lifeguard about the situation, and he said the signs had been up the past 4 days, and he wouldn't swim near there if it were him. We went back to the desk at the hotel, and were told they didn't know the signs had been put up until friday, and they were sorry but there was nothing they could do about it. Keep in mind, the manager was the person who checked me in the day before, and never bothered to mention this. They said we were welcome to stay off the beach and use one of the many pools though. If I wanted to use a pool, I would have stayed home in my backyard. I offered to pay for the second night, but I wanted to leave prior to our expected departure date. They told me I would have to pay for an additional 2 nights, whether I stayed or not, from the time I let them know this. My wife and I paid for a night that we did not use, and left to go to another resort down the street. What made matters worse, we informed them that we would be leaving early, so they could attempt to rent the room. They did, as we saw someone on the balcony that night, but we still did not receive a refund of our 1 unused night. Bacteria in the water is not their fault, but the lack of professionalism displayed by their staff was. I would strongly recommend you to think hard before committing to stay at this resort.

The Good and the Bad

by TripAdvisor Member cz63

Our family of five (three boys ages 4, 8, 11) stayed at the Dayton House--Aug. 17-26, 2003. The hotel posted No Vacancy on our arrival and remained that way for the majority of our stay. Much to our surprise, there was no line-up at 4:00 p.m. when we checked in! Check in was incredibly fast unlike the ½ hour wait that we were accustomed to at previous hotels in Myrtle Beach. We were impressed with the professionalism of the front desk staff and the speed of check-in (less than 5 minutes). We were even given some restaurant coupons and a gift bag with toiletry items!Our room was located in the 5-story Central Building - the same building that the Registration Office is located in. We had a Side-view 2-Room Efficiency on the third floor. We were grateful to not have long elevator waits and the stairs were easily assessible too.Our room was quite tight for space, but fairly clean and neat. It contained two queen size beds, one television, a small kitchen, a kitchen table with four chairs (which were spread out around the room as they wouldn't all fit around the table), a second bedroom and small bathroom. One of the lamps over the queen bed was missing a bulb and one of the lamps in the second bedroom did not work. This was the first hotel we stayed at in Myrtle Beach that came equipped with a hairdryer and an iron and ironing board (nice feature)! The room also had an in-room safe. A $50 refundable deposit is required for the safe key.A small second bedroom off of the main room was equipped with a double bed and dresser. This room was not as clean as the main room. There was a large picture window in this room, but this window was very dirty, making it difficult to get a clear view of the outside! My 11 year old son even said, whats the use closing the curtains at night, the window is too dirty to look through anyway! And to top it off, this bedroom distinctly smelled like urine!The kitchen was equipped with a refrigerator, sink, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, small oven and three-element stove, as well as a small assortment of basic kitchen accessories (ie. pots & pans, cutlery, dishes, etc.). There was only a narrow strip of counter space so we had to place the dish rack and toaster on top of the stove. The kitchen facet dripped. We learned this during our first night, as we left the drain in the kitchen sink closed and it overflowed and flooded a small section of the carpet in our room.Our balcony directly faced the balconies in the North Building. There was a very limited view of the ocean that you could only see by leaning right out over the railing on the balcony.We would rate the house keeping services to our room as average. We always had plenty of clean towels. There is a sign on the kitchen cabinet which states that house keeping does not do dishes. In our case they dont clean windows either! Smudges on the patio door and mirrors remained during our 9-day stay and the balcony was never vacuumed. On one day during our stay, housekeeping forgot to clean our room entirely! It appeared that housekeeping in the North Building was much more thorough in their cleaning than they were in our building as we could see them cleaning patio windows and vacuuming balconies every day!The new walk-in over flow pool was a hit with our children. The pool slopes from 0 ft. to 5 ft. and was reasonably large, but we found it to be a bit crowded during the day due to its popularity.There were plenty of lounge chairs around the pool and on the grass area between the pools and the beach. The pools, deck and garden areas were very clean and well maintained. The large grassy area is cleaned up every morning and there is an abundance of beach umbrellas and tables on the lawn which are free to use by the hotel guests. This was a great place to eat our lunch! The hotel requests that you not leave any articles in this area until after 8:30 a.m., so they can water the lawn. The walkways through this area are nicely done with wooden planks and they have two gazebos with two porch swings each facing the ocean. The "pineapple" fountain between the South and Central Building was also very nice!In our opinion, the pools and pool deck closed a bit too early - at 10:30 p.m. In fact the whole hotel seemed to shut down at this time and it was very quiet in the evenings. Once the pool deck area was locked, there was no direct access to the beach from the hotel instead we used the public beach access to get to and from the beach for our late night strolls.The white sand beach in front of the hotel is wide and was not crowded. There is a drainage culvert at the beach in front of the hotel, but we did not notice any signs indicating that the water from the culvert was contaminated.The lazy river is located by the Suites Building. This is separated from the other three Oceanside buildings by a public beach access and parking lot. There is a single restroom by the overflow pool (the door is marked PRIVATE), so it is not necessary to run up to your room to use the bathroom. On the ocean side, in addition to the overflow pool and lazy river, there is one indoor pool, one indoor/outdoor pool, one kiddie pool, three spas and two saunas.The hotel seemed to be very safe. In the evening, security patrols the hotel grounds and walks the halls on each floor to make sure that everything is quiet and in order. On our first night, our two older boys (11 and 8) were getting ice out of the ice machine that was located right beside our door. They were out in the hall no longer than 20 seconds when security came knocking on our door and advised us that if he ever catches our boys throwing any ice out of the hallway windows, that our family would be evicted from the hotel. Our boys indicated to us that they were not throwing any ice cubes when security came by - just merely getting some ice cubes to suck on. Our boys were quite upset by this and they went to bed in tears and we felt a bit intimidated by this. Needless to say, none of our children touched the ice machines for the remainder of the week and we felt a bit on pins and needles for the duration of our stay.Dayton House does not have a restaurant or poolside bar/grill. We missed this feature as we have had this at other hotels in Myrtle Beach and enjoyed being able to pick up a burger for lunch. They did, however, have a California Ice (similar to a snow cone) Stand at the pool (this was not opened every day though) and also a small gift and convenience shop.Laundry was located across the street in the West Building. We felt that this was somewhat inconvenient, so we never did use the laundry facility. It would be desirable to have laundry access in each building.Parking on the ocean side was limited, as it is at most hotels in Myrtle Beach, but there was a fairly large parking lot at street level located directly across the street within a very short walking distance of our room. In addition to this, there was a small parking garage behind that. (This is also where the Fitness Center is located). We only had to use the parking garage if we arrived at the hotel after 9 p.m. in the evenings.The Dayton House is a family orientated hotel that primarily attracts families with young children and seniors. We noticed that there were hardly any young adults or teenagers during our stay here. It is a quiet resort with no activity programs and everyone seems to disappear by 10:30 p.m. We sort of missed the action in the evenings that we have experienced during our stay at other hotels in Myrtle Beach.So if you like a quiet resort with well-kept grounds and strict security--than this is the place for you. As for us, security threatening eviction and urine smells in our room is enough to keep us away!

Comments