215 77th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29572, United States
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Horizon at 77th

Great place to stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member kychic1

My husband booked this hotel as a last resort trip because of changed plans due to tropical storm in Florida. Very glad we found it on internet. Loved the 2 bedroom. Very clean and great amenities. The only suggestion would be to have more information in the room about the features of the hotel and maid service which was great but didn't know was included. Loved it and hope to be back.

A disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member PensFan20

We found an amazing deal for this property at the last minute so we jumped on the opportunity to stay at a brand new property that touted its upgraded amenities... and off we go...

When I booked the reservation, I specifically told the agent we would be checking in late, but we were never informed that we would have to check into another building due to no staffing on their desk after 11:00. We arrived and I went to the lobby only to discover the doors locked and the lights out. I had a bit of panic, until I got into the elevator where I noticed a sign mentioning that the desk would not be staffed later in the evening. The auditor checked us in, quickly and without much information other than where to park, and went to our room.

When we initally got into the room, and were so happy to see how beautiful it was... until we went into the bathroom to discover the toilet full of toilet paper and urine. I was turned off by it, but let it slide - we then found that none of the phones worked properly, there were broken and missing light bulbs and the family room television was broken or not at all connected, but again excused it as growing pains in a new facility. We weren't too concerned as we were moving to another room the next day to the convienence of the property itself.

The next morning we were ready to move as agreed upon during the time of booking and we notified the front desk - the agent was wonderful in letting us know that while the room was not yet ready, and that they will move everything for us. So... we went about our day. We returned at around 3:00 in the afternoon to pick up our keys and dealt with another front desk agent who looked like she wanted to be anywhere else but there. No smile, no welcome, nothing... we noted that it was not just directed toward us, but each individual she dealt with. She seemed generally annoyed and very stand offish to us as well as other guests in the lobby. In any case, we went to our new room where everything was in working order and were happy.

Unfortunately, our checkout date came and we were unaware of the checkout time and overslept. A very friendly housekeeper stopped by and asked if we were leaving in which point I apologized and told her we were moving now and we would get out as soon as possible. Not 5 minutes later we got a phone call in the room from the same front desk agent that gave us our keys to move the day before saying, "I got other people to check in, you need to get out..." - that was it for us. I have never been treated in such a rude and ignorant manner. We went to the desk to check out and asked for a business card of a manager in which time another desk agent (not the horribly rude one that called us) 'we don't have any... I don't even have any property maps... can you believe it?'.

We travel to Myrtle Beach numerous times a year alone as a couple as well as with our parents, but what was going to be a glowing recommendation will now be a warning for other to stay away. Yes, our resort of choice (The Caravelle) was more expensive, but I know myself and MANY others will pay for satisfactory service any day of the week.

Nice place

by TripAdvisor Member clover624

We stayed for a week with my in-laws and thought it was very nice. Upon arrival, the staff was friendly and the lobby was beautiful. The elevators were convenient with bellhop carts for use. The kitchen was clean and updated although the oven didn't work properly. We had the master bedroom and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very nice with a huge shower/tub. The condo was nicely decorated and we stayed on the 8th floor with a good size balcony overlooking the ocean. We were within walking distance of the beach, which was beautiful. I thought the lazy river moved a little too fast and was too warm. The pool was refreshing though. The grounds were well maintained and the location was nice and quiet.

Loved the Horizon at 77th

by TripAdvisor Member osuohio

Mother, her husband, my daughter and I loved the Horizon in Myrtle Beach.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath on the 6th floor with a angled view of the ocean.

Granite counter tops in the kitchen with everything you would need to prepare a meal. Bathrooms were large with plenty of fresh towels. The bedrooms where larger than what I have at home.

Good points: steps from the beach in a quiet area on the Strand,
on site parking, washer and dryer, balcony and very friendly front desk staff.

Needs improvement: more lighting in garage w/ mirrors to see around corners, ceiling fan in smaller bedroom and more lamps.

I reported a toaster and ice maker that weren't working and the problem was corrected within 90 minutes.

I will be a repeat customer at the Horizon on 77th.

osuohio

Military RR vacation

by TripAdvisor Member jag9804

This is a great place to stay we loved it . we stayed here from the 23rd until today the 30th.This is a new hotel and it would be great from everyone. the rooms are great i didnt dislike anything about this hotel.it was quiet. we were staying at another hotel that we really didnt like upon check in i told my hubby i wasnt happy,but decided to stick it out when we drove pass and i said babe they take walk ins so we looked it up called and they said they would take us that night instead of the 24th so we checked out of the other hotel and came here. i was speechless when i saw the room. we stayed in the one bedroom our first night and the rest of our trip was in a 2 bedroom on the 6th floor we had a great view of the beach overlooking the pool it was great. the rates on the room was great also.we really enjoyed our stay. if we had longer on our RR we would have stayed longer

A Sweet Escape!

by TripAdvisor Member chillin2kool79

This hotel was top notch!! My husband and I booked a mini getaway and was VERY impressed with the room. The room was cozy and very romantic. This would be my hotel of choice whenever visiting the Myrtle Beach area. This hotel surpassed everything I had hoped it would be. Thanks Horizon for making our stay so memorable! We'll be back!

Mother/Daughter Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Doone8253

I booked this condo for a mother/daughter getaway.

We originally booked this condo complex through a timeshare presentation. 2 free nights to go through a timeshare talk. We booked 4 additional nights to extend our "vacation". We reserved a one bedroom unit but we were given a complimentary upgrade to a 2 bedroom. It was lovely! Very roomy, comfortable and convenient.

Although I would prefer to stay oceanfront if I were there strictly for a beach vacation, or if we had small children, it was nice for the two of us. We had a beatufiul view of the ocean from our balcony.

I would recommend this complex for an off-season getaway, for a group that were going to Myrtle Beach to play golf, shop, or see shows. But, if the beach and ocean are your main focus, I would want to be ocean front.

True Relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member Cassiowill

My mother and I stayed at Horizon for relaxation and celebration of my big milestone. We were blown away by the size of the room when we stepped into pure relaxation. It was the best time to try a new getaway...off season, but I will visit during the summer too.

The bedrooms are lovely and big...If you like to watch TV, then you will love to watch your favorite show on a flat screen TV (in each bedroom and living room) or if you to relax, then you will love the master's bathroom. The kitchen is state of the art...stainless stove and refrigerator, dishwasher, toaster, and coffeemaker. No need to bring your pots and pans...Horizon has that covered too. The washer and dryer were great and very user friendly. Horizon at 77th is my number one choice of stay at Myrtle Beach! I recommend this hotel - condo to everyone.

Nice Hotel would stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member dmleclercq

Overall we were pleased with our stay. Hotel clean and modern.
Indoor pool very small but sufficient.
Hotel reception was not overly impressive but not rude by any means.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom. The room layout was great. We were very surprised to see NONE of the rooms had a dvd player. However when we phoned reception she said it was as the owners discretion ...as far as how they furnished the room. She did say she would find out if there was an extra player around. About an hour later one of their engineers came with a brand new player.
Also we had no hair dryers in the room. We phoned the desk and 2 brand new dryers were installed. There were no ceiling fans in the rooms yet...it appears as if they were still in the process of furnishing this unit.
The hotel was very responsive with these areas...so all good there.
Parking was great.
We would stay here again and recommend this hotel.

Avoid this property! Lots of problems!

by TripAdvisor Member JoshFow

We go to Myrtle Beach very often and have stayed in other properties many times that are ran by the same management group. This being the newest property we wanted to check it out on this visit. We booked a weekend vacation in one of their three room suites for a total of the five of us: four adults and a toddler. Hopefully, breaking the good and bad down into the three days we were there will help out with understanding the worse experience we have ever had staying in any property in Myrtle Beach.

Check in day (Friday):
We arrived at the property at about 10pm. At first glance the exterior and the lobby were very well kept up and very nice. Being a new hotel you would expect this anyways. It didn't take long and it was my turn to check in. The desk clerk seemed very informational on everything I had questions about although she also seemed a little annoyed with any questions I had too. Plus, with it being an apparent normal routine she went through any and all answers very quickly without any worry or care if I had even heard it all.

After checking in we parked in the parking deck within the hotel itself, grabbed a luggage cart, packed our stuff and started our way to the room. Very quickly I learned the cart had a broken wheel which wasn't apparent till after it has some weight on it. After dragging the cart to the elevator we went to change out carts and realized the new one was also broken. Giving up on that, we dragged the cart the rest of the way to the room so we could unpack and enjoy our time at the beach.

Getting to the door we found out only two of the four keys actually worked. It honestly wasn't a big deal anyways since we were going to be together the whole time and only really needed one key. Once we enter the room we scoped things out. It had a kitchen, living room, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, 2 king beds, 2 queen beds, and a balcony. The furnishings were very nice. Flat screen LCD tvs in every bedroom and in the living room with dvd players attached, stainless steel appliances and marble counter tops. The master bath had a stand up shower and a Jacuzzi tub. Now, if the Jacuzzi tub is a selling point for you, then don't expect anything here. It was wider then some I have seen but very shallow compared to any that I have seen. Although it was very shallow we still wanted to try it out during our trip. Also, the spare bath room had jets in their shower/tub which is very rare and pretty nice.

Now the room furnishings and amenities were very nice, but all in all the room itself was very small. If you compare to really any of their other properties it is a lot smaller in square footage. Especially if you have been to their Towers on the Grove property. Those rooms are very large and very nice. Of course, being in a smaller room wasn't a deal break at all, it was still nice and in a very good location in Myrtle Beach. Who stays in their room the whole time anyways? No one. So not a big deal.

Well, having had a long day and traveled to Myrtle Beach it was time for bed.

Day 2 (Saturday):
My wife and I are early risers due to our little girl being up at 7am everyday but the other two that came with us wanted to sleep in and enjoy their day off. So, it was a surprise when they came out of the room at 7:30am awake and what seemed pretty annoyed. Apparently, the curtain in the room was broke and allowed the sun to shine right in on their face. We figured we would let the front desk know later once they get through the morning check outs so our request didn't get side tracked while helping someone in front of them.

Anyways, we decided to get showers and go out for breakfast and shopping. It was now a little before 8am and with a total of 3 showers we could be out the door in about an hour. Well, after turning on the water for a few minutes I realized there was NO hot water. It was barely even room temperature. So, I let it run for longer thinking the water just had to make its way to the room. After 15 minutes it was time to call the front desk. They seemed very concerned and wanting to get it worked out quickly for us by calling engineering and have them come up. So now we played the waiting game while from time to time testing the water. After 2 hours of waiting and testing, it seemed that the water was above room temperature enough to take a shower without freezing. It took a little over an hour to get ready and still no one had showed up. I called the front desk to let them know that no one had showed up yet and we were leaving for a while and they said they would have someone check it and will let us know what happened.

We left and came back a few hours later because my little girl needed her daily nap. I checked the message on the phone thinking it would be engineering letting me know what was going on and instead it was the front desk manager asking if the water was fixed. I called back and let her know that to our knowledge no one had showed up at all.

She was very nice and seemed like she wanted to get it fixed for us and that she will call engineering again and get them to come up to our room. She did ask if we wanted another room at that time but with it being a hot water issue we figured it wouldn't be fixed by just moving rooms since multiple rooms are on the same water system. Plus, my daughter was already asleep and didn't want to disturb her.

I stayed behind to wait for engineering and to be there while my daughter was sleeping while the rest went to the indoor pool. Plus, I was a little tired myself and I wanted a nap too. After laying down and trying to take a nap I realized quickly it wasn't going to happen since it sounded like they were either in the next room or a couple rooms down working on something. All I heard was drills and banging. After about an hour of laying there listening to tools and construction the others got back from the pool and decided that we would just eat in since we had a full kitchen and start cooking.

Well, after just a couple minutes of the oven being on it started pouring out smoke and basically seemed like it was on fire. We quickly turned off the oven and called the front desk. This is the funny part. The conversation goes, "We need someone to come up fast, our oven is pouring out smoke and is on fire." The clerk says, "Ok, we can get someone to come up to look at it, but how is your water?" Ok, if you called your doctor and said you were having a heart attack do you think he would quickly do something about it or do you think he would just say ok but how is your foot that was hurting you last week doing?

Anyways, after about 5 minutes someone got there. He took a few minutes trying to find the breaker for it and got it turned off then started trying to figure out what was wrong with it. After about 15 or 20 minutes of multiple guys coming in looking at it they decided it was cleaning solution in the oven. Being a part time electrician I know what an electrical fire smells like, and that was it. Anyways, they said they would get it fixed for us instead of replacing it. I guess it's their hotel, if they want to take the chance with just keeping it in there and burning the place down that's on them. So, we just said you all have fun with that we are just going out to eat.

After returning, it was 7pm and time to get our daughter a bath and in bed for the night. Starting up the bath we realized that the water was STILL cold and there was no hot water. Playing with it a while we realized that when you first turn it on for about 2 minutes you get a little warmer then room temperature water but after that it was cold. So we had to get her bath ready 2 minutes of water at a time.

Now, after relaxing and watching tv a while after we got our daughter to bed, we tested the water again and it was hot this time. The only thing we can think of is that even though the hotel was only probably 25% occupied since it was the off season that during peak times in the morning and night there was no hot water because of usage. So it was time to try out the Jacuzzi tub. Then we realized the light in the tub was out. Plus, with all the activity with the water and oven we had forgot to tell them about the curtains in the other bedroom. So it was now 10:30 and I ran down to the desk to talk to them instead of calling so I can see them call the maintenance person. I did tell him sorry if it was so late but if he could get someone to come that would be great but if not its ok cause it was probably too late. He said it was fine because the maintenance person doesn't go home till 11:00 or a lot of times after that. He tried to get the maintenance person on the walkie talkies without success and assured me that he would get him to come up before he left. So I went up and played the waiting game again and of course no one showed up again. So there went the tub idea.

Check out day (Sunday):
So again we got up early because we are early risers and of course the others got up early because of their curtains. And of course it took us 3 hours of getting ready because of the 2 minutes at a time of warm water in the shower. I use to travel a lot as a computer support person and my biggest pet peeve was always cold showers. Of course I only really found them in smaller no name motels and now a brand new beach resort.

I got ready first and then took my daughter to go walk around the pool and check out the view around the hotel. It was now a little after 9am so we went back to the room to realize that all of our keys were now cut off and didn't work anymore. It was a good thing we weren't alone and someone was still in the room to let us in. So now we started to take stuff to the truck making sure not to get a broken cart and having someone stay behind to let us back in.

Finally, it was time to get out of there and check out. Getting to the checkout desk the only bit of conversation was, "What room number?", then "Ok, you are done." No, thank you, have a nice day, or even get out of my face which was the look on his face. I then started to let them know all the issues that were still going on with the room that probably needed to be looked at and I didn't even get close to finished when the phone rang and he jumped on it without an excuse me or shut up. I turned to the other clerk and started letting her know of all the problems that still existed in the room which she did write down but didn't really seem like a priority at all.

Conclusion:
Well, there were more bad experiences then good. Any time we called to the front desk they were very nice. Any other time they seemed not to care at all that I was there. If they did call maintenance they didn't care either. It was a beautiful place but had a lot of problems. Especially not having hot water and an oven that catches on fire. Maybe after time they can get everything fixed and it would be a nice place to stay. Until then there are plenty of other nicer places to stay. One of our favorites has been Towers on the Grove which is one of their other properties. We ended up not asking for a refund or partial refund. It is off season so it wasn't expensive at all plus if we did ask for one they probably wouldn't care enough to give one. But for the time being try to avoid this property!

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share our experience and if anyone had any questions or comments on anything I have said you are more then welcome to email me too at joshfow@gmail.com.

Sushi time..Sushi time..