Hotel Blue - Myrtle Beach

705 S Ocean Blvd, (formerly Tropical Winds), Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577, United States

Hotel Blue
Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Avoid this place!

Apparently people either love or hate Hotel Blue---and it seems to depend on whether you get a renovated room or an abysmal one like we did. We were promised a partial view of the beach. When I complained about false advertising, John at the desk said: "Are you looking in the right direction?" as if I didn't know where the ocean was! The only view we had was of the branches of a palm tree that blocked our view of the ocean. Our room looked nothing like the pics on the website. The bed was horrible. There were holes in two walls. The furniture was chipped and peeling. There were no pictures on the walls. The best thing I can say about Hotel Blue is that the manager was pleasant, and he finally agreed to refund our money so we could find better accommodations just up the road! If you choose to stay at Hotel Blue, make sure you're getting a renovated room. Otherwise, avoid this place at all costs!

More about Hotel Blue - Myrtle Beach

A Fair Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cam394

I'm fairly young(I'm 13), but I hope my review works for any guests who plan to stay at the Tropical Winds Resort any time soon.
When I got to Tropical Winds with my family, it wasn't exactly what we had expected (we booked online). It was a little more outdated, the pools were far less spacious than the website presented, the lazy river was very tight, and half the games in the game room just stole your money. When we called the front desk for service(things such as pots, pans, and serving spoons), the things we ordered took entirely too long to reach our room.
The resort wasn't all bad, though. Parking is according to whichever level you stay on, which makes for easy reach to your car .The room was big enough to fit my family's needs (we stayed in an executive king suite). The television had 56 very good channels (such as Disney Channel, MTV, BET, Nickelodeon, and Lifetime). The Tropical Winds patrons could go two hotels down to Captain's Quarters, Tropical Winds's sister resort, to the bowling alley, which wasn't overpriced, and had very good games and other extra things. Plus, the resort was right on the beach and was close to other extra things, such as restaurants and amusement areas.
Overall, Tropical Winds Resort is an OK place to stay, but it is not prim perfect. It wasn't really worth the $500 my family had to pay, but it wasn't a total waste.

Wonderful Time

by TripAdvisor Member Reata

After reading the reviews here I was skeptical. Good thing I followed my own mind. My family and I had a great time at the Tropical Winds. The room was spacious and clean; beds were comfortable and the view was good (not excellent but good...we had an angle view). Desk and housekeeping staff was pleasant and helpful. I don't understand the negative reviews, we had a wonderful stay. Next year when we book there I think we will get ocean front!

Definately gone downhill

by TripAdvisor Member daveroblewis

This was our second stay at Tropical Winds. The hotel has definately gone down hill since 2006. Our room appeared not to have been cleaned. Carpet was filthy, sofa was filthy, hair in bathroom, outside of stove/oven had not been wiped down clean. Walls were dirty and in need of painting. We also had sand mites in our room. At least I assume that's what they were. Came home all bit up. Elevators were slow both years and this year, very scary to ride on. Our last night's stay, they put two of the four "out of order." My husband and I had a scary experience 15 minutes before the signs went up. They were jerking badly on the way down and we both looked at each other like it might be a very rough ride down or worse. The water in the lazy river was dirty. Our room was also smelly. We had a good vacation, but the room needed much better attention, and from reading the other reviews, it sounds like they all do. We will not be staying here next year due to the downfall of caring for this hotel. It is quite apparent that they are not putting any money back into it. It's sad this is the case, as I believe this could be a very nice hotel if only they'd spend the money to update. Their clientele will definately go down hill, unless they take these reviews to heart and make some changes. Very disappointing as 2006 wasn't so bad, but 2007 was filthy.

Not so bad

by TripAdvisor Member miss_ingle

My husband and I made an overnight trip just to check out places for our upcoming summer vacation. He'd been there many times, I'd never been to MB. We looked at a hundred places online, and Tropical Winds looked very nice. I agree with some folks here who said the website is deceiving. IT may have looked that way SOMETIME, but not now. We got there during spring break (groan) and it was very hard to find a room...or either they wanted $300 for one night! So, we settled on this one. We got a top floor room, one of the angle king deluxe efficiencies. It was a pretty good room considering the outside appearance of the halls/elevators, etc. There ARE issues at this hotel - but not as MAJOR as some folks have said. The elevators/carpet in hallways was the worst part of the place. The room was decent, but needed some minor upkeep - I left them a note telling them if they'd just spend $50-100 per room to update them it would help alot. Some issues were wallpaper peeling, small hole in one wall, pull down wall bed had holes in blanket (big holes), and it needed some decorations (pictures, flower basket, anything!). For the most part the room itself was immaculately clean, just a little rundown. Didn't see any bugs, there were no bad/musty smells inside the room. Tip: Use the "single elevator" - it's alot faster than waiting around for one of the two slow, creaky, spooky ones! The parking garage was ok, sorta small spaces but not too bad (mid-size SUV owner here). The lazy river was small and didn't look too clean - I didn't even use the indoor hot tub. The outdoor pool was nice, the enclosed outdoor pool looked ok and the outdoor hot tub was great! There is very easy beach access and the beach itself is wide and not too long of a walk to the pier. The views from this top floor unit were great from both sides! All in all, it wasn't too bad and we have decided to book it for our summer vacation because they have really good prices for early summer (June). We'll give another shot, and maybe even get to check out some of the other places while we're there in case this doesn't work out.

A Good Place for Families

by TripAdvisor Member ajsnskool

I just got back from the Tropical Winds about a week ago and honestly am surprised by really negative reviews I've read here. My son and I were there for 10 days and had a great time. I'ts not a 5 start hotel but we didn't pay for a 5 star hotel and it certainly wasn't as bad as some of the prior reviews. We arrived on June 30th and after a minor glitch in my room...I booked smoking and got non-smoking, the desk clerk (who was very friendy and very helpful) quickly switched our room from the 9th to the 10th floor and had someone come up and help us move our things. The room was clean and the humidity controlled. I've stayed in other Myrtle Beach hotels where there was no humidity control in the hotel and the carpets, beds and eventually all your belongings get to be constantly damp/wet. Not here. First, the floors are tiled which is exactly what you need when staying oceanfront. The AC worked great, the balcony was clean and the railing very secure. The bathroom, towels and linens were all clean. The coffee pot, refrigerator and microwave were all in good working order (though I wish the refrigerator was a little bigger, it served its purpose). Parking was MORE THAN ADEQUATE...especially this being the 4th of July week...their busiest week of the year. There's 8 floors of parking and I never had to go above the 4th floor lot. This was a real pleasure because the last 2 years I stayed at hotels where you were always praying for a spot in the hotel, not across the street in a dark lot. As for spaces being close and people not being mindful of pedestrians...it was no different than any other MB hotel. You had cautious drivers and you had jerks. The pools are exactly as represented in the pictures and my son loved them (though I prefer the beach anyday). Our housekeeper was great. She'd be at our room by 10, if we weren't ready to leave yet, she'd ask me when I'd like her to come back, and that's when she would presumably be back, because I never had to ask twice. There was NEVER a shortage of towels...minimum 4 bath towels per night (it was only me and my son), 4 face cloths and 4 hand towels. I had 2 complaints with the hotel: the hallways were a bit dingy; and the elevators --- they (there's 4) are SLOW and they are commandeered frequently by housekeeping during the day (9-4). But again, the elevators at the other 2 hotels I've stayed at were comparably slow (if not slower - Captain's Quarters), and at the hotel last year (the Polynesian), they felt downright unsafe. As for fireworks coming onto your balcony everynight?? HUH???? I was there for the 4th of July and didn't have this problem (I was on the 10th floor too). Helloooooo...this is South Carolina...not Pennsylvania. Yes its illegal to shoot fireworks on the beach, but the reason I came back the 4th of July week was because the shoreline lit up by fireworks for as far as the eye can see was beautiful. Also, don't know if you noticed while driving through but there's a fireworks store in SC every 1/2 mile. That should provide a clue that you're going to be seeing lots of fireworks on the beach! People don't shoot fireworks pointed at the hotels...they shoot them up. If embers float over (a LONNNNGGG way to drift!) its the rare occasion, and frankly, you'll see this at every oceanfront hotel. I never had an ember drift over to my room! All the guests at this hotel (that I could see over the course of my 10 day stay) were families. Don't be afraid of this place, Its a good deal for the money and I'd definately stay here again. If I want to pay $300 a night, I'd stay at Compass Cove, though I'm sure they have their problems too. :)

Excellent stay, would stay again

I was very impressed from the moment we stepped into our room. The hotel staff were very friendly. We stayed in an ocean front efficiency. It looked new with tile floors and new appliances and everything was clean. We had a few problems with the elevators not moving off of the floor, but there are four elevators for 14 floors, which was plenty. The two pools were great, there was also a hot tub. The staff cleaned the pools every morning we were there. We asked for more towels and they came up in 5 minutes. We had no problems checking in or out. The parking garage is kind of tight, but there are mirrors. I advise parking on the second floor and taking the elevators so you don't have to maneuver through the garage. I was afraid that maybe there would be too many teenagers or kids, but there were lots of families. I went down with two of my best friends, we are 25. So, for the money, it was a great place to stay.

Completely disgusted!!!

by TripAdvisor Member NINYMOON

We paid over $500 for three nights and it was absolutely not worth it!! Upon arrival on the 5th floor, there was a horrible smell of mildew, swamp water and funky carpet. When we opened the door to our room, the same smell was inside. I had to spray half a bottle of Febreeze on the curtains, couch, carpet and bed linens, light a candle for hours and spray disinfectant in the bathroom and kitchen before the smell would go away. There was a giant hole in the living room wall. When I told the front desk clerk, she said"oh, ok". The drain in the tub was broken, so each person had to wait 45 minutes for the water to drain, if you did not want to stand in scummy water from the last person. The air conditioner in the bedroom sounded like a freight train and continuously leaked, soaking the carpeting on the balcony, which made it unusable. I called the front desk twice before it was repaired-which lasted 2 hours, then it sounded the same and continued to leak. The stove in the kitchen did not work and there were giant hairballs and dirt in the corners of the room

Not worth it

by TripAdvisor Member MarissaJean

I was not the one to book this hotel and that was a huge mistake. I was staying in a suite with my husband and another couple. During our stay their the sheets were not changed on the beds once. The elevators are painfully slow. So slow that I would often walk up or down the 12 flights of stairs! The pools were ok. The lazy river was dirty and I would not even step foot in it. The hot tub was just slightly warmer than the regular pool. The hotel is very outdated and needs some serious remodeling. Although it wasn't a very expensive trip I think it is absolutely worth it to pay more money to stay at a nicer hotel. I would never go back and stay there.

Reconsider staying here!

by TripAdvisor Member adgVirginia

The hotel was not what I expected! The rooms are clean, but some of the ceiling tile in the bathroom needs work and the tile floor leaves sand on your feet that gets into the sheets. Also, the elevators are terrible! My husband and I walked up seven flights of steps, he was carrying a 100 pound kayak, and the stairwells were crowded with other quests. The lazy river was dirty, too. We also were awakened at 3 A.M. in the morning with fireworks going off! Management gave us a refund for a night and a half because of the issues.

Comments