6804 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29572, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Average

• Do not go

If you are staying at the Monterey Bay and you are driving anything larger than a compact car you will soon find that their parking garage is too small. I drive a Chevy Uplander mini-van and it took me 15 minutes each time I wanted to park or leave just to get around the compact turns to enter and exit the ramps in the parking garage. When I consulted management and asked if I could park on their empty lowest parking deck the manager told me to drop the family off at the resort and go pay for parking across the street. When we left, the very deserted Monterey Bay on a Wednesday I found a towing notification on my car, that I was not informed of, for parking my car on the second deck instead of further risking slamming into the wall to park on the third deck. If I had not left that day my car would have been towed an hour later without even as much as a phone call. Do not waste your time here, customer service is nonexistent.

Unique Quality: Breakfast, rooftop pool

More about Monterey Bay Suites

Monterey Bay-Ignore what others say

Hi-My parents and a friend and I just returned from a great stay at Monterey Bay Suites. From what other people had commented I was unsure of the reservations at the hotel and was concerned about what it would be like! But the hotel ended up to be great! There are two large pools, two hottubs, and a lazy river. Free breakfast with eggs, potatoes, grits, sausage, cereal, and more. Yea the elevators could be slow and crowded but there were three, and I mean it is a tourist area,people come and go as they please. It would be insanely impossible to have 10 elevators to be at your exact convenience. Anyways most hotels have 1 elevator, if you dont like lots of people dont go to a major tourist city! The parking garage was fine, normal, and exactly like any other.
The staff there was not rude at all. There was a sweet man who worked breakfast who was very personal and caring. Maids were nice, and so were the desk people even when I needed to get extra keys twice! The people who stay there are friendly as well. I met new people just from some conversation in the elevator or while strolling on the beach.
Accomodations were great-fridge and everything. They gave you toiletries and the rooms were clean and they gave you extra towels.
Maids cleaned regularly and even weree very quiet. They cleaned the room once when I was sleeping in anoter part of the suite and I never heard them. Also the views of the beach are great. The beach is nice and is in a quieter area with a few hotels, but is mostly residential.
The hotel also features activities for kids and adults. They have crafts, activities, and things like water aerobics even for the adults.
The hotel is also nicely decorated and is very attractive. We definitely will stay there again if we come back to Myrtle beach.

Management Response to "Wouldn't stay again if the room was free!"

We, here at Monterey Bay Suites, feel that it is our duty as a reputable hotel establishment to respond to the commentary of this previous anonymous guest. It is true that Monterey Bay Suites underwent an extensive million-dollar renovation process in 2002. This renovation encompassed all aspects of the hotel including new carpeting, tile, furniture, lighting, drapes, bedspreads, etc. In the event of any maintenance or housekeeping concerns we make every effort to rectify any problems that are reported to us, as is apparent in the case of the above mentioned defrosting refrigerator. Our parking garage is eight stories and directly attached to our building. All vehicles from compact to mid-sized SUVs have room to maneuver in our garage. The ground level parking is for oversized vehicles. We offer three elevators. This is more than average for a property our size. Our housekeeping staff does not report for duty until 9AM each morning.
Therefore, we are unsure as to how our housekeeping staff would be able to disturb any guest at the hour of 7AM. Monterey Bay Suites offers a daily complimentary full breakfast. Our buffet is 28 feet long with an additional hot bar. Our buffet features coffee and juice stations, hot and cold cereals, and a multitude of other popular breakfast items, including scrambled eggs, and breakfast potatoes. In regards to the other issues mentioned in this review, we will make every effort to insure the complete satisfaction of all our valued guests during their stay. Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to satisfy someone who brings issues such as these to our attention anonymously and after the fact.

Please read my review before you make reservations

My family and I stayed at Monterey Bay Suites for a long weekend 7/24/03 - 7/27/03. When we got there we were anxious to see the wonderful things that were shown on the hotel's website. However, it took a lot of maneuvering to get into the parking deck. My husband and I were driving a Ford Mustang, and my mom and her husband were driving a Ford Explorer, (which ended up getting keyed in the parking deck). It was almost impossible to get either of those cars into the parking deck. The room was nice. The only thing that I did not like about the room was the shower. It made a horrible screeching noise when it was turned on. Other than the room, the hotel does not have a lot going for it. The customer service is non existant. My stepfather called the front desk to ask for a phone number for a restaurant, since the room did not have a phone book. The lady at the front desk told him that she did not have a phone book and put him on hold, never to pick up. The parking deck does not have enough spaces for all of the guests. My husband and I got back to the hotel one night to find that the deck was completely full, and there is no overflow parking. We had to park in a lane in the deck where the car could have easily been hit. The elevator service is really the worst part about the hotel, however. There are only 3 elevators for a hotel with 16 floors. There is no service elevator, so the hotel staff is always on the elevators being loud and stopping at every floor. We would often have to wait 15 minutes or longer for an elevator, as we were on the 14th floor. Checking out of the hotel was absolutely horrible. My husband walked up the stairs to every floor in the hotel trying to find a luggage cart so that we could load our cars. There were no luggage carts available. So he and my stepfather had to carry all of our luggage down to the cars in several trips down the stairs, since the elevators were always full. I would not stay at this hotel again if it were free.

I wouldn't stay again if the room was free!

We stayed at Monterey Bay the first week of June and it will be the last ever! When I called to make reservations, I was told the hotel had been renovated a year prior! I guess that company doesn't give refunds under any circumstances either! We got there 15 minutes early and I was told by a very rude young woman, that I could not check in until exactly 3:00. At 3:00, I had to wait an additional 20 minutes to check in. The room stunk and wasn't cleaned very well. The refrigerator leaked all over the floor and when maintenance checked on it (twice), he kept saying 'it' was trying to defrost. The rooms are as narrow as the parking garage and believe me the garage is extremely narrow. We were on the 16th floor, however could only park up to the 6th in the garage. The elevators are beyond slow! The shortest amount of time we waited for an elevator was 10 minutes - it was absolutely ridiculous!Housekeeping attempted to clean our room the first day at 7:00AM - 7 in the moring!Free breakfast buffet? Don't waste your time. The 'buffet' is the size of a small office desk and is only refilled if someone has scrapped the bottom of the barrell. Then it is only done in hesitation. The staff there were extremely nasty and rude. Breakfast is from 7:00 - 10:00. The first and last morning, we showed up at 9:00A and heard the 'conceirge' complain for 25 minutes about late sleepers.Never again. They could offer a week paid in that hotel and I would laugh. Hopefully the owner will get enough bad press that they revamp the entire facility including staff.All in all - this place is pathetic! Extremely overpriced and just pathetic.

Not Too Too Bad but need Friendly Staff

Food Service Staff are very very Rude. Asked for Wake Up Calls, Never got them. Parking Garage as well as the Breakfast Dining area are Too Small. Other than these, no other complaints.

It was OK

by TripAdvisor Member bogeyduke

Stayed 5 nites last week. Got there a little early and they were harsh that the rooms"were not ready". So, at 2:45 there was a huge line in the lobby...everyone waiting on their rooms to be ready. And wow...all were available at exactly 3. The garage was a nitemare. We were in a small Camry. Cant imagine anything bigger. Everytime we had to pull in the bottom of the car scrapped and there was no room to maneuver. The man that did the breakfast every morning was a true sweetheart. Very friendly. The only one downstairs who was friendly. The housekeeper we had was also very friendly. The location is great. The pools were great. The elevators way too slow. There is no bathroom in the pool area. And then while we were there they put up a sign that no wet suits in lobby. So, if you were at the pool then you had to go all the way back up to your room to use the bathroom. That is not fun with a 4 and 5 year old!! All in all if we were to get a good rate...we would probably stay again. But will look at other places first.

Nice hotel, but probably wouldn't say again

I have stayed in several hotels in Myrtle Beach now, and I would say this one is just "OK". When we got there they acted like they weren't going to let us stay (when we already had reservations) because I was only 20 and my boyfriend is only 23. We then had a surprise security deposit put on my credit card. When they came to inspect at the end, they REALLY inspected. They looked at just about every speck of the place. I understand why they have to take precautions like that, but they need to let you know on their website that they are going to do that. The room was pretty nice overall. Mostly clean, except for the dirty oven. I thought it was nice and would have been worth the money if the staff had been more friendly. I would recommend staying there if you have no options and really want to go to myrtle beach, but be at least 25 and expect some surprises.

Monteray- Pros and Cons

My family has vacationed for a half dozen years in Myrtle Beach, about half of those we stayed at the Patricia Suites / now Monteray Bay.
Overall our stays have been good. I have read about the parking garage.
We have maneuvered the maze in a Ford Taurus and a Mini - Van and had little difficulty. Go slow. The pool / lazy river are nice. Bathrooms on the pool level are needed, particularly for young children. The continental breakfast was always well-attended and we always left well -fed with huge variety of cold and hot food. Everyone wants a lower level room. We asked for that and spent our first night on the 16th then were relocated to the 6th the next morning.The desk staff is young and could be more efficient. Baggage carts - get more! Rooms were clean, daily towel and sheet replacement. The elevators are a nightmare. unsupervised kids horsing around pushing the buttons?( Where are the parents -chaperones?) You can wait a long time or just take the stairs. The beach area is nice and not overly crowded. We have enjoyed our stays but always welcome input as to how the 'new management' is doing.

Sounds like things have remain the same

Well...I'm departing for this hotel on Sunday and hope I don't experiences any additional problems than normal with this hotel. I have stayed at this location 5 times and the many of the things are true about the LACK of luggage carts, slow elevators, tight parking garage and unforunately the rude front desk staff, however, the pools, hot tubs, beach location, and the price make-up for most of the deficiencies. Since this location is under new management and I have stayed there many times before, I will report back to be fair to the new management. That all for now.

long story

My family and I spent 5 nites in aug of this year. Hotel was ok as cleaniness goes. Hotel rules don't seem to be enforced. People openly drink alochol in front of small children. Pool hours aren't enforced. Hotel was booked full ( a church group had 85 rooms) First night we were unable to use pool because of a party they were having, another day we were unable to use pool for several hours because someone ****in it, this took some time for staff to clean. This church group had some sort of party going on nightly. The parking really sucked, space was very limited and they have no over flow parking, If you have a mid sized car you will find it hard to make the turns to go to the next level. The only thing that can park on first level is full size vans ans suv's. The elevators were worst. Some times we would wait as long as 15 min for one, and then it was full. There is no ventitlation in the elevators and they get pretty hot, you may be in one for some time.Like the ad says breakfast buffet with meat, One day they had fake ham and all the other days they only had sauage gravy. Is that meat? It is very hard to find lugage carts I believe they only have 2 or 3. Most hotel staff was friendly enough but front desk staff is a different story. I asked for a single pillow for my daughter and was told they dont have any extra.Now for what they don't tell you: They provide pool towels but you sign them out for 1 hour at a time. Also they said you could not remove towels from your room to use a pool. If you leave any dirty dishes you will be charged a $10.00 fee. I could go on and on but I think my story has been told.

Comments