Sand Dunes Resort Hotel

BookIt.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 60% more and rated 21% lower than other 3 star hotels

• never again

This was definitely our first and last trip to the Sand Dunes (we stayed in the South Tower). Rooms were very small, no sofa, only 1 chair and just had the overall nasty look to it. I don't think they have upgraded in at least 20 years. AC didn't work until about 3am and you woke up freezing because you went to sleep on top of the covers because it was so hot in the room. The pool was filthy. We had to walk to adjoining property to even get ice from the machines we didn't have in our building. Washers and driers were located two buildings away. I didn't dare look in the microwave. Very small fridge that looked about 15 years old. There is NO AC in the elevators so you almost suffocate. The only bright spot was River City Cafe and I'm told the food at Mango's was great, but expensive. Both of these are open to the public so you can check them out without staying here. We stayed here because the hotel sponsored a softball tournament my daughter was playing in and they gave us discounts on rooms. If I had paid full price, I would have asked for my money back and left. At least I'll know better next time. Anyone who gives this place a good review obviously doesn't have very high standards for where they lay their head down at night.

More about Myrtle Beach

A resort down at south endA resort down at south end

The kitchenetThe kitchenet

SharkShark

Spring Break

by bobloncar

Some of my friends brought up the idea of going to Myrtle Beach for spring break. What's it like during spring break? I had my heart set on going to Panama City but they said Myrtle Beach is good too. So, if anyone could let me know what spring break is like in Myrtle Beach, that would be great. Thanks.

RE: Spring Break

by timmy1975

Myrtle Beach will likely be too cold to swim.

Panama City is warmer, but no waves although the water is much warmer -- especially from all the drunkards pissing themselves in it.

RE: Spring Break

by princessdorrie

checked your pic and age. You should be happy anywhere. I do know that if you go spring break to any of the regular spots, (panhandle, lauderdale or daytona beach,) YOU WILL NOT SLEEP BECAUSE SOME JUVIE IDIOT WILL BE SETTING OFF THE FIRE ALARM EVERY TWENTY OR THIRTY MINUETS. If you want to have a good time and remember it, pick someplace that restricts the drinking age to legal. at 22, you will probably be interested in something besides hooch, since you are already legal. Have fun.

Travel Tips for Myrtle Beach

there's something about a road trip

by richiecdisc

The beach is just fantastic with white fine sand and warm waves to ride but what I loved most was the forest right next to the beach. There's something about being able to walk from one terrain to another in five short minutes. There’s something about a road trip that separates it from any other type of travel. The great ones are of no particular duration and though there may be a destination at hand, the way there is best left to the wind. You hop in the car and it brings you where you want to go. I’ve been lucky to experience this a few times when my old Honda Civic transported me to Alaska and all over the Western US on two multi-month trips. But even short trips can be fun and if the attitude is right, you can somehow capture at least a bit of what a road trip is at its core: freedom.

After many months of what seemed unending work, we made a plan for such a short jaunt. It started out innocently enough when a good friend from Philly called to say his wife was being put up in Myrtle Beach by her company and that as chance would have it, there was an extra bedroom just waiting for us. We figured we’d head up there for three nights and just chill out but later in the day I was speaking with another friend who mentioned they would be in their newly purchased vacation home in Georgia around the same time and a road trip began to form inside my brain, almost without me knowing it. We added a couple extra days and cut the Myrtle Beach portion in half. The next thing I knew we had a five day, four state odyssey on the horizon. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Ripley's Aquarium

by Hlthors

There are hourly dive shows. All kinds of huge sharks, fish, and eels. There is a 330 foot underwater tunnel you travel through that is really cool. Lots of hands on for the kids. WE got to pet stingrays, sharks, and crabs.

Just Plain Tourist Fun

by AVG2319

"Sun, Sand, Ocean"

We visited Myrtle Beach about a week before Spring Break and found it simply great Tourist Fun! Prices are much better off season and not so many people. The drive across South Carolina from mountains to the ocean is not that far and an easy drive. White Sand, Palm Trees, Golf, and Ocean front room-this place was awesome! That being said next time we visit South Carolina we are going to Charleston.

• ChrisS318's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The cleaning staff STOLE yes that's right STOLE $350 worth of clothes out of my room. This was not even the first occurrence of this, another family was complaining of the same thing happening to them during my check in. After speaking to the manager Steve on the phone he was EXTREMELY rude to me and then HUNG UP on me in the middle of my sentence. Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service from everyone all around (manager, front desk, house keeping, etc.) I am speaking to corporate about this instance to see if I can even get some sort of money back but I doubt it. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL. Do yourself and me a favor and let these crooks lose money for their absolutely atrocious customer service from this dump they call a "resort".