Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort - Myrtle Beach

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• DO NOT BOOK HERE!

We went to Myrtle Beach to try to have a good time this past weekend. Couldn't do it. Here is a copy of a letter I wrote that explains what happened.

To all concerned,

The purpose of this letter is to relate to all parties our undesirable experiences at the Sea Mist Resort on June 28, 2014. And to find what I can do rectify this situation for our own sake and so it will not happen to other visitors to Sea Mist Resort.
    "We checked into the Sea Mist Resort on Friday, June 27, 2014. Our room was booked and paid for through Hotel.com. At the time we arrived it was before check in time and the room was not ready. We gave them my cell phone number in order for them to contact us when the room was ready. We received a text about 1 1/2 hours later. We were to report to the desk at the Driftwood building to pick up the room keys. Which we did. The room was nice and ocean front just like what we wanted. The next day after enjoying the beach we took our showers and left for dinner at four PM. We ate at Damon's Restaurant and went to Broadway and walked around until a rain shower chased us back to the Sea Mist Resort. We arrived back at the room at 7:30 PM. When we tried to enter the room our keys would not operate the lock. I went across to the Driftwood desk "in the rain" to get
    help. The lady at the desk told me my keys did not work because I was not in that room! I told her we had been in that room since yesterday. We spent the night in that room last night and the keys worked in the door every time. The desk clerk said we had been moved to another room while we were out eating dinner! Housekeeping employees and security had went through our room and gathered our personal belongings and moved all our things to another room without our knowledge or consent! We felt violated and personally assaulted. I have never been so abused by hotel establishment.
    The desk clerk said I would have to go across the street to the check in building to find out what had happened and to get keys to my "new" room. I walked over there "in the rain" to do just that.
    When I got there I spoke to the young man that had checked me in on Friday. He acted like he didn't know what was going on and went to get the manager. The manager was VERY unsympathetic to my plight and acted as if I should not be complaining at all. She said that I had been informed at the time of our check in that we would have to vacate the room and be moved to another room the next day. We were NOT told anything like this. We would NOT have agreed to anything like that.
    I very much resented the fact that she just assumed I was lying and did absolutely nothing to help me when it was obvious I was very upset with the situation which was entirely the fault of the Sea Mist Resort.
    That is when I asked her for something that I had SIGNED that proved that I had agreed to moving to another room, she produced a standard registration form that I had signed but it had no such stipulation. The manager said they had tried to contact us about the move that day. I asked how they were trying contact us and they replied "we called your room". It was obvious we were not in our room! I asked "why didn't you call my cell phone". My number was on the registration form that she had shown me minutes before and they had used to text me the day before. She then walked away and would not speak with me again. I had no recourse but to accept the keys to our "new" room and go see if all our belongings were intact.
    They were not. Our clothes (dirty and clean) were jammed into our suitcases. Some were in a half empty beer container. Our I pads were there and unharmed but we had no idea how they were handled. The only thing missing is our wine opener which I assumed they thought it was resort property. We sorted everything out and hung the clothes up. No damage to our belongings but a huge blow to our demeanor. The violation of our personal space with the thought of strange people going through my wife's under garments hurt us to the core. When you rent a room from an establishment, that room becomes your PRIVATE domain. No one should enter into it without our consent. Which we did not give.
    Along with our privacy violation, I felt my personal reputation was also violated when the manager implied that I was a LIAR when I told her we were never told about a room change. Which we were not.
    The employees of Sea Mist Resort in their efforts to appease another guest showed no regard for me and my wife who were also guests at the resort. This basically ruined our vacation demeanor for the rest of our stay. Although we tried our best to put this unsavory experience behind us, we could not. For these reasons we will NOT stay at the Sea Mist Resort again. We will NOT recommend this resort to anyone we know. We will NOT give a favorable review to hotels.com. We WILL consult with someone who knows the laws of the area and seek advice on how to continue.

• Don't stay here!!

This was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at in South Myrtle Beach. To start off, the parking sucked, the staff was not friendly and you could hardly understand them due to their foreign accent. Then we get to the room and the main light didn't work, the oven was ancient with rust all over it, had coffee maker but no coffee, the sliding door could hardly open due to it be being rusted and the toilet hardly flushed. Not to mention, the oceanfront view was set back between two different hotels with the kiddie pool area in front of the ocean. Then we go to the water park, that was a joke. Pictures of this hotel are very deceiving!!

• Great trip To Seamist

I stayed at seamist resort with my family that includes two children 9 and 2. Our room had hardwood floors and a small tv and I asked to be moved to a room with carpet and they moved me across the street ocean front. The package is a great deal my children were never bored and we saved alot of money. The breakfast buffet thats included is great. Alot of pools and things to do on the resort. My only complaint would be parking but not a big deal. Great place with alot of great offers. We will stay again!!!!

Unique Quality: Good staff very willing to make you happy.

Directions: about three blocks away from Family Kingdom

• Awful

This is the worst hotel my family and I have ever stayed at. The pictures on the website is very deceiving. Upon check out I complained and showed them a picture of a roach we killed in the bedroom. The comment made by the head clerk was "why are you just now reporting this, what time did this occur". I explained that that it occurred at 1:30 in the morning, she gave us $50 credit.

• Great Vacation for those on budgets!

WE have been going to the Sea Mist since I was a teen, just because they have TONS to do. I have loved this hotel for many years and recommend it to everyone. Our family always gets up by 8, has breakfast at the restaurant, do the underground tunnel- which is great for families with little ones- to the beach, and then hit the pools and waterpark after it opens. My daughter gets her hair braided there and we all enjoy icies by the pool. We can go in and out as much as we want. When it closes, we hit the arcade or go to whatever event the hotel has planned for that night. In my opinion, they go out of their way to assure families don't have to leave to go out for anything, unless they just want to. It's GREAT.

Unique Quality: First, they have a pretty decent water park for the whole family from slides, a nice lazy river, to a wading pool and swings for the tots. They have tons of outdoor and indoor pools and hot tubs- so it isn't always overly crowded at just one, places to do your laundry, an arcade, gift shop and restaurant. Staff at the front desk aren't overly friendly, but housekeeping always has been to our family. The buildings are older, but every room I have been in is always clean. I wasn't setting my expectations for a 5 star resort, because it isn't, and you can tell by the pics it isn't. BUT- with kitchens, suites, and all the extra things to do, and at the price, you can't beat it! During the summer months, we did the family vacation packages which let us get into the waterpark there and FAMILY KINGDOM WATER PARK and AMUSEMENT PARK for free. They also had cookouts with live entertainment, and movies for the kids. Plus, the play park is a side bonus.

Directions: South Myrtle Beach

• always1ontime's Profile Photo

I enjoyed the Sea Mist experience

Wow, I wished I'd joined this site sooner because I stayed at a great resort last year in Myrtle Beach. I promised the manager I'd tell everybody about it so if you ever go back stay at the Sea Mist Resort. It was pretty cool; I stayed in an Ocean View room that of course had a great view of the ocean. I slept with the little slide door open to hear it at night. The room had a kitchenette in it so i was able to keep to my diet for breakfast and lunch at least (We went out for dinner!). For info on this resort location go to http://www.myrtlebeachseamist.com/

Unique Quality: Very close to the beach
    Restaurants on site - you don't have to leave
    Beach view
    Jacuzzi Tub - Yes!
    Great Service - You don't feel bad parting with your cash for tips
    As much fun for kids as it is for adults

• Family Vacation, on Motel 6 Money.

This is not a resort, its alot of motel 6 type motels put together at a high price if your getting the family a package.

My room was right behind the check in office, it wasn't a 5 star room, but its wan't the worse. It was ...what it was ....a room.

My room didn't smell, it was fairly clean, the kitchenett and all the appliances was very clean. Dishes, cookware, silverware , dish rags etc. was available. I didn't see any bugs etc.

The motel staff was nice.
    The motel food was good.

Unique Quality: The kids enjoyed the pools & the Amusment park.
    where my room was i could see all the street action, i didn't have a waterfront room.

I paid $129.00 for the nights of ... 6/18 & 6/19/2008, which i thought was to much since we didn't purchase the family package.

• janiac's Profile Photo

Sea Mist

This is an "interesting" hotel, which actually seems to be made up of about four or so old hotel buildings. The enjoyment of your stay correlates directly with what kind of room you end up with. While I know that is true of most hotels, it is especially true of this place. My family got a great ocean-front room at a very good price, while others I know got horrid rooms that leaked or had no hot water.

Unique Quality: This place has many pools, but I didn't use any of them. My friend's room could qualify for unique -- but in a bad way. It was located in the parking garage and you actually entered from there. To make things worse, the windowless room had a sliding glass door that led to an indoor pool area, so that she was sandwiched between car fumes and people playing in the pool.

More about Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort - Myrtle Beach

The Sea Mist is GREAT

This place is great for families with children. We stayed the first week in August 2003, and it was wonderful. We were in the Palms building, which is across the street from the ocean, but right next to the water park and parking garage. They have a little tunnel that goes under the street to the beach. It's painted like an aquarium, and the kids thought it was great. We liked it because we didn't have to cross Ocean Blvd with the kids. The tunnel is not so great if you are using a stroller due to the steps at either end. We had a 7 year old and a 2 year old that LOVED the water park. The lazy river is great, and they have a huge play area for the 8 and under group. We used the passes for the amusement park and water park. The kids loved it. The putt putt course is actually pretty nice too. If you want, there is something to do all day long!! Our room was clean, was kept clean. No signs of bugs or anything else the others complained about in their reviews. I loved this place and will come again!!!!!!!! Relax..........a vacation can be what you make it!

Stay Away From The Sea Mist!!!

I, too read the unfavorable Sea Mist reviews and wondered if we should cancel our reservations. We didn't and was that a mistake! From the moment we checked into our room, I was ready to go home. It was filthy!!! We complained to guest services and the housekeeping supervisor appeared and cleaned the room herself. It was a little better, but still dirty. When I wiped a wash cloth over the rug to clean up something that had spilled, it was black! Our 2 bedroom suite was in an old, tiny building next to the miniature golf course. The location was the best thing about our trip! My husband was disappointed that, even though our package touted free golf, he still had to pay $22 for the cart per person per round...you can play some of the courses for that much, cart included! We thought the facility overall was run down, dirty and the staff unfriendly and not very helpful. We will never stay there again!

Stay Far Away From the Seamist Resort

It is a dump! We drove 700 hundered miles to what we thought was a great place, well at least according to the website and brochure we received in the mail. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP! The centeral office is nice, check-in was smooth, but it was downhill after that. They sent us to the Driftwood building, what a nightmare... the lobby smelled like cats sprayed it, the carpet in the elevator was old and dirtry, the carpet is nasty in the hall, with peeling, molded wallpaper. The room was nasty, mildew all around the sink and fridge area. I mean this place sucked. We immediately demanded our money back, which was given without any problem, the whole amount. They know what kind of place they are running! We found a room at the Sandcastle Hotel, about a mile down, which was pretty nice. We didn't get the ammenties that Seamist offered, but what the Hell, at least we were able to breath, eat and slept in comfort!!! We were totally deceived!!!This is a strong warning to all, please don't waste your money or time at this dump!!!!Feel free to write and ask question!

waste of time

Had reservations at Sea Mist after reading your site changed ours.
Family reunion everyone stayed at Sea Mist. Waste of time and money.
Dirty, smelly all the same of what others said. We had changed ours to the Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront so glad I found your site.
Hampton Inn was great clean, friendly,just a great place. breakfast included what a spread of everyting. Looking forward to going back.We loved the Hampton Inn. The rest of family hated the Sea Mist.they wished they had changed there reservations too.

DISAPPOINTING STAY

My family and I recently stayed at the Sea Mist resort. The positive things were the admission tickets to Family Kingdom amusement park and water park. Our room was in the Sandcastle building, ocean front. The room was recently remodeled. Looked good but could tell where it had been fixed. The elevators were really bad. I have stayed at other places and this one was the worse. Long waits and rude people. Seemed like elevator repairmen were there all week. Mini-golf course was a joke. Real friendly and helpful people at the activity desk and front desk. Really enjoyed the story telling on Monday nights. Parking was difficult to get at your building. Breakfast buffet was alright but not enough room to get food, always crowded. Overall, I would stay somewhere else next time. This was my first and last at the Sea Mist.

Please please please take my advice.

August 24,2003. My mom and I had planned on taking my son who is 21
months old to the beach. We decided to stay at the Sea Mist Hotel just
because of the package you get with Family Kingdon and the two water
parks. We read all the reviews you have probably read and we contacted
the customer service reps through the 1-800-sea mist # several times to
find out if what I was reading about the place was true because what I
read was not good and each time I was insured that the place was clean
and a very fun family place to be and that we would be content with our
room. We decided to go there and check it our ourselves........We got
to Mrytle Beach at around 12pm we went to the room and let me tell you
and please believe me when I tell the place was roach infested...no
joke...it was sooooo nasty we did not even want to touch anything. I
would have rather slept in our car than stay there. Not to mention the
place was in the slums of Mrytle Beach , people out walking the streets
late at night and it was mostly black territory...lots of black people
in that area and dont get me wrong I am not against black people, my
husband is black and my child bi-racial but it just did not seem safe
or family orientated to me .... The parking garage..it was across the
street where you walked down sidewalks where seriously roaches
srambled, the parking garage was not safe and looked as though it was
about to cave in . The people who worked there said we would loose our
250.00 deposit which did not happen because when my mom spoke with the
manager she refunded us immediately. We ended up staying at the Camelot
for the week and it was wonderful. We also went to Family Kingdom and
an all day riding pass was only 16.95. So what I am telling you is
this, if you dont mind staying in the slums with roaches and party
people and dont care to feel unsafe then the Sea Mist Hotel is for you.
I would not stay there if it were the last place on earth. Yes they
will send you out a brochure that looks like a palace and the place to
be but take it from me ....its the GHETTO OF ALL GHETTOS.

Myrtle Beach with kids

by mahopac

Visiting Myrtle Beach in July. Traveling with 3 kids (ages 13, 11, 1). Looking to stay at Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort. Anyone have any opinions regarding that resort? Or perhaps another hotel we stay at?

Re: Myrtle Beach with kids

by tracys2cents

We stayed at the Ocean Reef Resort after reading several reviews. It was fine and the rooms were large, but it was on the "budget" side...in need of updating etc.

We checked out the Long Bay Resort next door and it was very nice so we will try it next time.

Didn't stay at the Sea Mist because the reviews that we'd seen were "just okay".

RE: Myrtle Beach with kids

by spa-head

We visit this area often, about 4 times a year. Our children are now grown but when we went there with them, we always stayed at "Springmaid". It was built with families in mind, you really can't beat the ammenties for the price. It lies at the south end of Myrtle Beach, w/ it's own private beach and pier.
Sea Mist is one of the worst places we ever stayed. It is in a highly congested area and the rooms we had were low end at best.

Comments