Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center

Sheraton Myrtle Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Parrott28

I booked a 4 night stay through Hotwire for 104 per night during the week of the 4th. The hotel and rooms are pretty nice (my bed was awesome). The walk to the beach isn't that bad but lugging beach items (chairs, coolers, ect.) is a bit of a pain.
The pool is on the 3rd floor, enclosed like a greenhouse, with a nice sundeck.
Check in and check out was a breeze, front desk is well staffed, no waiting. Small fridge in room but no microwave.
I used the Hotel Shuttle to go to Broadway on the Beach (recommend the 3-D IMAX--Very Cool). They gave me a number to call when I was ready to return. Driver was very nice, tip him !
I parked for free in the adjoining Convention Center parking lot. Its a bit of a walk around the building, after 2 days I finally got smart and started walking through the air conditioned Convention Center. If you want to save the $$ and don't mind walking, park there.
It was my first time to Myrtle Beach, the hotel is nice but I don't know if I'd use it as home base for a beach vacation again. I booked late and didn't have much of a choice this time. I am conflicted to where I would stay if I go back, Broadway at the Beach or Oceanfront or in between at what I know is a nice, comfortable hotel.

A vacation saver.... WILL GO BACK !!

by TripAdvisor Member ALEXIS1978

We just returned from Mytle Beach and were very pleased with our stay at the Sheraton Myrtle Beach. We arrived late and were accomadated last minute with very affordable rates. They do not have an outdoor pool but have a indoor pool and a very short walk to the beach. TheY have a reasonable priced menu at the restaurant with a lounge area with flat screen TV's and a Starbucks.......yummy! The staff was pleasant and were helpful. It is a short walk to the beach and shops and a short drive to the Broadway at the Beach (the place to be). Broadway at the beach is a huge entertainment center with a few rides, lots of shops, Margarittaville, Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Senor Frogs and nightclubs. A cab ride wouldnt be more than 2 miles up the road. (We had a reservation at BREAKERS RESORT / HOTEL WHICH WE CHECKED IN AND OUT IN 10 MINUTES IT WAS HORRIBLE......WE WERE SO UPSET WITH NO IDEAS AS TO WHERE TO STAY HAPPENED TO SEE THE SHERATON AND IT SAVED OUR VACATION. We would DEFFINATELY stay at the Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center again.
C.P MASSACHUSETTS

Great Stay! Luxury in MB!

by TripAdvisor Member Mullaney

Sheraton Convention Center – we did a timeshare deal where they discount the hotel if you listen to a presentation. We got the room for $49 for 2 night and $79 for the third night. My daughter and her friend came along and they gave them a room for $79 per night-which was an excellent deal! The rooms were really nice but don’t expect a view…we have the city/towards the beach view which was nice, but my daughter had a view of the parking lot. If views are important make sure you request it. The room was really nice.
Big fluffy king sized bed-extremely comfortable. Ourr TV was fuzzy and they sent someone up in 5 minutes and it was fixed! The hotel was very, very liberal with their air conditioning which was a big plus. As soon as you entered the hotel you felt relief from the heat! They have a Starbucks which was a nice perk for coffee. Delivered the paper to your door each morning. Very nice. They have a shuttle to take you to Broadway on the Beach and the Beach. We went to the desk and made our request and it was there in 5 minutes! The driver gave us his card and said he picks up until 11pm. He said they get busy during checkouts or with large parties (the van seats 5 comfortably).
The staff was super friendly. You might want to check out with conventions are being held that week prior to booking. We had a dance team and a softball team stay that week and everything was fine!

Barking dog took a big bite out of my quality sleep time

by TripAdvisor Member GamecockGirl

The good news:
I got a great deal on this room through Hotwire - around $100 a night. Initially, I was totally revved to see that I was able to stay at a 4-star hotel at that cost. That price is a steal for nice accommodations in Myrtle Beach in May. As a fairly new hotel (I believe it opened sometime after the year 2000), the Sheraton has a very attractive, modern lobby and bar area. The service at the bar was very good (I just had drinks -- no food was ordered).

The bad news:
To me, the Sheraton just is not worthy of a 4-star rating. While the room was nice, it wasn't anything beyond the 3-star places I have stayed, and I would say the service was more 3-star than 4-star (with occasionally slow valet services and a concierge employee who didn't seem very well versed in the finer area restaurants). There is no outdoor pool, only an indoor one, and, for those who want beach time, it's about 3-4 blocks from the beach (as many reviewers have already mentioned). The lot in front of the hotel used to hold the Myrtle Square Mall, which has now been demolished, so now the hotel faces a huge, empty lot. The view from my room offered no ocean view -- just a parking deck and the top of the adjacent convention center.

The worst news:
A barking dog (the hotel has a policy that allows guests with pets to stay there) interrupted my sleep numerous times. I was there on vacation, and several mornings I awoke long before my wakeup call, due to the loud barking. It sounded like a veternarian's office, if that tells you anything. I was in the far end of the hotel floor on the Starwood Preferred Guest level (which is supposed to offer the best possible experience to the most valued Starwood customers), and I noticed that the barking was evident even from the elevators, which are close to the middle of the hotel, about 60-70 yards away. While I am appreciative that hotels offer special services to pet owners, I feel there should be special section of the hotel to cater to their needs and allow other guests to sleep peacefully away from them.

The bottom line: if I come to Myrtle Beach again in May, I'll probably stay at another hotel in order to have an outdoor pool and beach access, even if that means I'll pay more money. I'll also make the sure the hotel will have a different policy regarding dogs.

If you see a 4-star option in Myrtle Beach on Hotwire, it's probably this hotel. I would guess the hotel management has to rely on Hotwire, Priceline, and the like to fill the hotel when conventions don't have it booked.

Would recommend to family and friends without reservation!

by TripAdvisor Member CSmithATLGA

I booked this hotel online through Priceline and was pleasantly surprised by the stay. Check in in the beautiful lobby was flawless.
Our room on the Club Level was beautifully decorated, spotless and comfortable. However, the carpeting in the hallways could use a good cleaning. I guess in a beach area, it is hard to keep the carpet clean. The Club Lounge was a nice get away from the crowds in the hotel, as there were numerous groups staying at the hotel for conventions.

Parking is in an attached covered parking deck, which was a tight fit for our SUV, which is actually a smaller SUV. Those with Suburbans, etc. - beware!

The location is very convenient to Broadway on the Beach, a great dining/shopping area. It is also about 1/2 mile walk to the public beach.

We are returning to Myrtle Beach in the fall and plan to stay here again.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member grltra

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel was well maintained, the staff was friendly, and we loved the beds! They were so comfortable. Any interactions we had with the front deak and concierge staff were pleasant, though, I had hoped the concierge staff would have been better informed. One evening we asked for a restaurant recommendation, and they mentioned the Olive Garden. The hotel is not on the beach, but the beach is within walking distance. We also walked to Broadway on the Beach as well, which was a great place to eat, play mini-golf, catch a movie, and do a little bit of shopping.

Would NEVER stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member Savannah007

I saw an offer online for $70 per night and, after a quick review of the website, booked it. I rarely book non-refundable hotel stays because I enjoy the flexibility of changing plans at the last minute, but took the chance because it seemed that the ordinary price for the room was $249. That would be insane. After spending one night in this Sheraton, I understood completely why they nail you in with no option to cancel. I cant imagine staying after the first night. From the outside the hotel looks fine. However, it was the biggest disappointment I have ever experienced in a hotel. The most irksome part of our stay was their "air conditioning" system. I had to call every single day of my 5 day stay to ask that it be fixed. I was told by a couple of the employees that 'they don't allow the a/c to cool the rooms off that much.' This was confirmed when, on one occasion, a gentleman from engineering came to the room with his thermometer and although the thermostat had been set at 60degrees for 3 days, his read 65 degrees and the room felt at best to be 75 degrees. The room never cooled off.

The second disappointment was the pool - it is only 3 feet deep. The fact that it is basically a wading pool was not told to me when I made the reservation. Rarely were there towels in the pool area. There is only one computer for the guests to use. To add further insult to paying guests, charging $5 for parking was never mentioned at the time of reservation. While the beds are comfortable, they could not possibly be queen size - as they appear more like full size. The biggest kick in the pants: my sister sent me a small box containing a bathing suit. The Sheraton charged me $5.00 to accept this fedex package!

The Sheraton should take a lesson from the Hampton Inn. In every Hampton Inn I have stayed in the staff and the corportation see every need that a guest has as an opportunity to prove itself.

Oh, I forgot to mention: We arrived on Sunday morning, our room was never made up on Monday and at 1:30pm on Tuesday I had to ask for maid service just so we could have clean towels for our showers and the pool.

Extravagant Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dallas1552

This was the most extravagant hotel I've ever experienced. I normally stay at the Courtyard or Residence Inn. Glad I had the priviledge of spending a weekend in this Gem. You are about 2 or 3 blocks from the beach. It's a great location and lots of shopping. You can see the beach if you request a balcony room. The rooms are very tastefully decorated. This hotel is more upscale than some of the Sheraton's I've seen.

Excellent facilities; Good compromise for location

by TripAdvisor Member rpmoore

I stayed at the Sheraton whilst exhibiting at a conference held there in October 2007. I found the hotel and room to be modern and well appointed, with perhaps the most comfortable bed I have experienced in a long time!

The location is a good compromise of 2-3 blocks back from the beach and 2 blocks in front of the Broadway Beach entertainment/eating place.

Parking is free at the Sheraton, and internet access fast - my main two qualifiers!

I would go back without hestitation next time in Myrtle Beach....

Perfect Choice

by TripAdvisor Member abenitaj

I booked this hotel at the last minute for one night. Perfect Choice!
There was no wait for check -in. I was finished checking in and returning to my car in 5 minutes. The lobby was warm and inviting. It
reminded me of the art deco hotels on South Beach, Miami. The room was very nice and spacious. The large picture window from the 10th floor was an added bonus. I awakened to a breathtaking sunrise over the Atlantic! That made me feel like I was residing at a hotel right on the beach.... but.... it was approximately two walking blocks away. The room and the bath room were exceptionally clean. The grout lines in the shower were WHITE with no trace of mold or mildew. The bed was exceptionally comfortable as well and the sheets were soft.
I thought I was sleeping on a cloud. I travel frequently and I am very picky about where I stay. This will definitely be my number one choice for loding when traveling to Myrtle Beach.

Comments