1605 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about The Palace Resort

Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula

by Bwana_Brown

My wife and I finally made it to Mexico in 2003 when we arranged a trip to Cancun. It is so close to the Mayan ruins at Chichen-Itza that we thought that was also a "must visit"! We paid US$33 each for a fully-guided bus trip (8 AM to 6 PM) including lunch. These ruins date from about 514 AD and were abandoned by about 1250, with this view showing the 75-ft tall El Castillo (or the Pyramid of Kukulkan), the largest structure on the site and named by the Spaniards when they arrived on the scene in the 1500s. It has 364 steps (91 on each side) plus the top platform to equate to the 365 days of the year, in keeping with Mayan love of math and astronomy. The 45 degree angle of the steps is a bit daunting when you are on the top looking down - the steps are narrow and there are no hand-holds at all. It is possible that climbing is no longer allowed for safety reasons.

Another fun spot was on one of the nearby ‘Mayan Riviera’ beaches at the Xpu-Ha Palace Resort, an ecological-themed site with thatched roof buildings spread out over a wide area of jungle and connected by a network of trails. We enjoyed a great buffet lunch with drinks on arrival we were given free snorkeling equipment to use in a sheltered reef area along its section of coastline. It was a great experience to float lazily along and have such a clear view of the many types and colours of fish swimming so close by. Later, we relaxed on the main beach at Xpu-Ha (2nd photo) before boarding the bus for ‘home’.

For accommodations, you can have anything from the fanciest resort to the cheapest hovel. I booked Condominiums Brisas on the internet, comprised of 3 main blocks of rooms with a centrally-located convenience store, swimming pool area, beach access and security guards at the gate. We were on the 4th floor so had a great view of the Caribbean in one direction (3rd photo) or the Lagoon in the other direction. We paid US$85/night for our 9 night stay.

Best in Myrtle Beach

We have our family reunion at the Palace for the past 5 years and found that the Palace Resort is the best place to stay in Myrtle Beach. We originally rented our rooms from the front desk at the Palace, however we found that there is another company located across the street from ...) who also has rooms for rent at the Palace. Not only are their rates lower but the quality of the rooms are much better. Each of the rooms we rented (a total of 6) all had dvd players, vcr's. tv's in each bedroom and all the rooms were in really great condition. Ask to speak with Greg he is a very nice person.. We will be staying at the Palace again next year..

Just remember, book directly through the Palace

The Palace is a beautiful place but remember to book directly through the Palace; don't go through the Waverider across the street. It does seem that management company has lower quality rooms at the Palace which are in need of general repair. I've been staying at the Palace for five years now with my family. We stay there twice a year. Only once was I dissapointed and quickly found out about the Waverider's management there. Always, always, book directly through the Palace and you won't be dissapointed. Great rooms, great rates, great staff. You and your family will have a perfect, inexpensive, and memorable vacation.

Never Again

August 2003 three older (56-67) age group and one in the mid thirties all in this group. We arrived to find no place to park to unload all buggies where taken and in order to use the elevator you can expect a 15 minute wait daily, to reach all floors. The only good part we where on the third floor which I took the steps always the other family members couldn't. The room had been vacuumed but nothing else, hair in showers urine on toilet seats. The kitchen was filthy microwave filthy; refrigerator is beyond anything I had ever seen. We called cleaning and we where given attitude, the window thats lead to balcony had not been cleaned. They used a feather duster in 10 minutes they where gone. We went to the store and bought cleaning supplies and the first day all we did was clean. Couch nasty we purchased a sheet to put over it, end tables broken and stuck in closets. We had a remote but with no batteries, we where again meet with attitude when we asked for them. We had the room booked for over 6 months and there was no return policy in place, nor could they move us to another room the hotel advised. We made the best of our 8 days but promise we will never stay there again.

Great value for the money

I find most of these postings hard to believe after my experiece with mbrfr/the palace. I checked in aug. 23 and stayed for a week in unit 1813, and i have to say i was not the least bit dissapointed. Everyone was as helpful as possible. During busy periods (sunday a.m., and saturday a.m./p.m.) there is a wait for elevators, but not 15 minutes.
During the rest of out stay, we never had an issue with elevators. Ill be sure to contact greg before any trip to myrtle beach to stay in one of his rooms.

Horrible

The people who give 4 and five stars to this filthy, infested and severely neglected hotel must have an ownership interest in it. BY far, this is the most disgusting place to stay at any beach in North America. I brought a 2 and 1 year old and was afraid to let them walk on the carpet, let alone sleep there. The people are rude and unhelpful and everything was old and filthy in the rooms (even after we looked at several) We saw several cock roaches bigger than quarters. We expected a decent, clean place to stay and were shocked to compare what showed on the web site and the actual thing. DONT BE FOOLED! Spend the extra 1 or 2 hundred and rest assured that you or your kids wont be bitten by cock roaches or sleep in filth... youll be glad you did! This left such a bad impression that I doubt we will ever return to Myrtle Beach. Thanks Palace. Slime Balls.

Loved it...would stay there again!

My husand and I went to MB in 2001 and stayed at the WORST hotel I've every been in. In 2002 we went again - same time of year - and took his daughter with us. We LOVED this hotel. I don't know if it was because we had such a crappy place the year before or what, but we were very pleased with our room - great view, plenty of room for the 3 of us. I also booked via the internet and checked in at the Wave Rider. Great place at a great price! No, it's not the Hilton, but if you want that...then stay at the Hilton.

As far as the comment someone made about not changing sheets all week......do you change your sheets at home every day??? I do not know of any hotel that changes the sheets during your stay unless you ASK for them to do so, which I'm sure if you had, they would've.

We didn't get to go down this year, but when we do go back...that's where we plan on staying!!!!

Terrible customer service

Tried to cancel reservation with in 24 hours of makeing them and was told that I would lose my deposit because I did not cancel 14 days out.
I responded that I did make the reservation 14 days out. Judy(the reservation clerk) responded that it was my fault because I didn't read the cancellation policy. I have never had a customer service clerk speak to in such a manner. My responds was, that I did not have any cancellation information infront of me to review. I was given the number by a softball team which I found out were staying at another hotel. Now my daughter will not get to stay with her team because of this hotel greed. They will get there money this time but NEVER again.

Yachtsman next time

The palace was okay, the room was nice but there was no hairdryer or iron available. The 19 inch TV was about 20 years old. How can you be a resort without a hairdryer in the room (this is the beach). When housekeeping came around 9:30, we only asked for towels.We told her we would clean the room so she got the old towels and said she'd be right backand we had to find her 1 hour later for the towels she said she'd be right back with. We usually would stay at the Yachtsman, but tried something different next time we will go back to the Yachtsman(it's great) the only reason we stayed is because we wanted 2 bedrooms.

Repeat Customer of The Palace

We drive to Myrtle Beach twice a year from PA and stay at The Palace in May & Oct., about 6 times. Rates reasonable and staff is cordial/friendly. It's peaceful and relaxing. My kind of place!

Comments