The Palms

2500 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577, United States

More about The Palms

The Palms was just Average. Not horrible, not wonderful.

by TripAdvisor Member TheBeachIs4Me

We just returned from a week at the Palms resort in Myrtle Beach. June 11-18, 2005. I had read some pretty bad reviews, and was desperate to find as much info as I could about this resort before we got there. I decided to believe that the people who were leaving the awful reviews were probably hard to please, and that if more people who were satisified, would also leave reviews, they would more than outweigh the negative ones!!
This is my honest review, for whatever it is worth to you!!!
In the 1980's, I am positively sure that this was one of the most beautiful resorts in the area. The ocean can be very hard on buildings!
It was not immaculate by any means. It was in need of some updates, but we were not disappointed! I am a "germ-a-phobe" by the highest standards, and I was not afraid to walk in my room barefooted! We stayed in room 1205 in the South Tower. The view was absolutely stunning! Again, the room was not perfect, it was in good shape for being at least 25 years old!! I talked to other folks in the elevator to try to get their opinions, and I heard the same comments most of the time. "A little outdated, but clean." The price was right for us, and we feel it was worth it.
The outside pool was not horrible as I had read. I did swim in it a couple of days while we were there, and did not feel disgusted at all. Again, with a little bit of attention, it could be very nice. We did not swim in the indoor pool. It was too nice outside! It could have used a little bit of attention as well, a little paint and some plants or something would have made a tremendous difference! The water looked fine though. The landscape was well kept. We did not use the hot tubs, it was too warm for us, but there were a lot of people using them, so they must have been OK too! The weight room was fine, but there was not alot of equipment in there. We did not experience any Elevator problems at all (well, except the one after we got on after someone with a gas problem!!!!) The parking garage is across the street, and we never had problems finding a parking spot. All in All, we were happy with our stay.
Basically, it appears that they do have maintenance people, and cleaning people, they just do their jobs, they don't go above and beyond to make it a wonderful place. Everywhere we went, there were help wanted signs. I would imagine it is hard to get really good help, Especially in a less than desirable job!
I tried to be fair and unbiased, if you have any other questions, you can email me at kimhegger@hotmail.com, and I'll try to answer them. I know peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

Just Okay, at best

by TripAdvisor Member myrtlebeachsc

My husband and I stayed at the Palms, from 6/29/05-7/6/05. We should have found a better place to stay! The main lobby (building #1) was very nice. We stayed in the second building. There is a very limited view of the ocean and up and down the beach. The second building sits back off the ocean, in between two different hotels. The view to the right looked right into the first Palms building and the view to the left was completely blocked by the Dayton House!!!!!!!!!! The balconies provided no privacy, they just should have made it all one big balcony. Now on to the room. When we walked into the room, I first noticed the stained carpet. You can tell they they have steamed cleaned them, but the carpet is in desperate need of being replaced. The air conditioner leaked for the first two days, so the carpet all around the air conditioner was damp. Our "wonderful view" from the bedroom window looked into the neighboring hotel. There was a small, only one person could fit balcony, in the bedroom. THe blinds that they had installed were torn and missing slats. THey provided no privacy, we had to hang one of our beach towels over the blinds. All of the appliances are at least 10 years old and the refridgerator was very rusty! The bathroom sink clogged everytime we used it and you needed to be under 5'5 in order to shower, because the shower head was very low. We entered in to the living area and found a spit wad, about two inches in diamater, on the wall. We pulled down the "hide a bed" and found that the bed was not even made up for someone to sleep in. We did find one extra blanket and two pillows to use for the bed, but no extra sheets or anything. Again, the carpet is in desperate need of cleaning or replacing. On the second to last day that we were in MB, we returned to our room to find that the ceiling was leaking and falling down. Chunks of the ceiling were all over the living room. Apparently the air conditioner in teh room above us was leaking and causing our ceiling to fall. I called the front desk and they said that someone would be up to fix it. It took them at least two hours before it was fixed, and all they did was scrape off the remaining ceiling and wipe up the water that was dripping. It was unbelievable!!!!!!!!! I was very unsettled by the people that were staying there........I actually saw one person bonging a beer and then rinsing the beer bong in the pool...............

I was looking at the brochure that they gave us when we checked in and it looks NOTHING like the pictures. There are no chairs allowed around the pool, the in door pool does not have any flowers or trees around it. Both pools need a thorough cleaning. The entire building could use a realy good pressure washing, both inside and out. Oh yeah, one more thing, we returned to our rooms on two different mornings to find that the maids had left our door open............................

If you are thinking of staying at the Palms, I would highly recommed staying somewhere else. We will NOT be returning to the Palms.

Old and Hot

I stayed at the Palms from 7/16/2005 - 7/23/2005. When we arrived at the hotel the exterior looked very nice and well taken care of. We had rented the penthouse #6 which should of been one of the nicest rooms in the building. As soon as we walked into the room I knew we were in for a big let down. It was like walking into the 70's. The furniture was old and you could tell it had not been changed since the hotel was built.That night it was like trying to sleep in a sauna. First thing the next morning we called the manager. He told us someone would check the airconditioning on Monday,this was Saturday. We asked him for a fan for the living room because it was so hot. He told us that the rooms were not owned by the hotel and they could not give us one. So we had to go buy our own. Monday at 5:00pm the airconditioning guy showed up just to tell us it was a design problem and could not be fixed. Then we were told to just bare with it. Management did not followup on the problem again. There was no refund offered. No one even apologized for our inconvience. We were supposed to check out on Saturday morning but rather than spend another night sweating we left at 10:00pm Friday night.

good rates, great place, wonderful vacation

by TripAdvisor Member sktws

The Palms Hotel at Myrtle Beach
We had the opportunity of a quick trip to Myrtle Beach. Last minute reservations had us a little worried, but we were very pleased to find a room at The Palms. The last minute prices were as good, if not better, than planning ahead ! Having never stayed there before, we didn't know what to expect. It was wonderful. We could not have asked for anything else. Giant sized room, sunshine, ocean views, lots of beach chairs, good location and friendly staff. We even had the opportunity of chatting with the Manager who happened to be out checking things on the property. He could not have been nicer and even asked us what he could do to make our stay better. Yes, we'll go back to The Palms !!!!

Its not like these people make it sound

me and some friends stay at the palms in a 3 bedroom condo. It was not dirty like these people is making it out to be. The floors was not dirty and the things wasn't that old. We stayed 9 nights and 10days in July yeah i went with my friends an wasn't suppose to stay that long but we did. the people at the desk was nice and freindly. But the Bad thing about the plams was that they kept the room clean BUT the elevators was not so great we was on the 14th floor. an they could have spent more time cleaning those elevators. but we dealed with it. there is not a hotel that you are going to be 100% great there is always just a little something wrong but other than that the stay was great!

some of these reviews are nuts

I dont know who writes these reviews but I have been staying here since 1986 with my family every year. I have never had a significant problems with the establishment. If you have a problem they fix it was quickly as possible. The condos at the palms are owned by individual owners and each unit is decorated differently. The front desk has some of the nicest people I have every meet in my travels, true southern hospitality. Now granted some of the rooms are better than others, but for the most part they are very nice rooms. This website needs to research who they let leave postings or at least double check the reviews.

3*** at the palms resort

by TripAdvisor Member selenaluv

i stayed at the palms on 1/1/06 and departed on 1/8/06
i had the best visit at the palms than i had anywhere else the front desk staff were unbelivable the southern hospitality they gave you will not find that anywhere anymore they went beyond there duty to make our stay awsome!!!! we had stayed in a 3 bedroom condo that was very clean and beutiful decorated the pools are very very clean and neat the view was outta sight my family was very pleased with the room as well as the pools and grounds we also got to go to capains quartes and use the following :pools indoor and out,lazy river indoor and out,there boiling alley,game room,as well as the resteraunt.this is what you call heaven when you have kids!!! it gives them something to enjoy.i even got too meet some of the homeowners while i was hear i even had a chance to get to speak with some of them they even took me into there units with my husband and showed us around all i can say is niceeee they had been working on them replacing the old with the new the 1 bedroom,s outstanding view out of this world!!!!!! even the 4 bedroom penthouse the owner told me he,s been hear since december remoldling hes whole unit over all i can say the palms is going to be my 2nd home away from home my kids,husband and parents really enjoyed staying at the palms resort and we recomand it.the peaple who leave bad comments are the ones that you will never be able too please there probabley the richy type who need to stay at the coaral reef and mabey staying there will not meet there standards ... i had the best time at the palms with my family and this resort will be our vaction spot every year from now on.

Old, worn out and in desperate need of renovatios

This place was very misrepresented on line. From the elevator ride which I had to hold my breath each time due to the strong odor of disinfectant to the TV which I couldn't figure out how to turn on, I found the stay very disappointing. There were old cigarette butts on the deck and the room reeked of stale cigarettes. Everything was very old and worn. Nothing in the place matched except the beds. The bedrooms were dark, the bathroom had peeling paint and rust around the doors and under the sink was missing a wall. I wouldn't stay here again if they gave me a room for free. There were definately alot of other hotels that were a better value.

WORST Room Ever

by TripAdvisor Member Reg1

We were traveling to Myrtle Beach for our summer vacation which is our favorite destination we booked at the Palms these are condo's which are privately owned ,we checked in and this place in a total disaster very dirty and looks old this is on the outside. When we got to the room it was horrible several stains on the carpet the walls haven't been painted in years it was disgusting I was afraid to take my shoes off more less stay there. I went back down and demanded my money back, whick was given. Do not stay here it is a dump.

It isn't the best, but acceptable...

by TripAdvisor Member khuynh907

We came back to The Palms this year for our family's annual 2 weeks vacation. This is our second time staying at the Palms. Liked last year, we stayed at a 3 bed room’s condo which was nice, clean, and cozy. The master bed room and the other room were okay, the children bed room was a bit tiny and it did give you the ‘claustrophobia’ feeling). The balconies (yes, 2 balconies) were our favorite, spacious and private. Mom spent lots of her time reading out in the balconies. We didn't care much for the outside pool because it wasn't that clean but the inside pool was nice. The beach front was acceptable. Our least favorite areas were the elevator which was small and many times it acted up as if it would get stuck on mid-ride (mom hated this elevator) and the front of our room where they kept the central airs, This area was so hot that any time you open your front door, you would feel as if you were enter the oven.

We'd stayed at many other hotels such as Camelot, Patricia Grand, Breakers, Carolina Winds...etc and found that The Palms is a nice hotel to stay and if the owner would pay more attention to few ‘need-to-be-fixed’ areas such as the elevator, keep the out door pool clean, fix the area that hold the central air so that the hot air would keep away from the front door, I think it’s a great place to stay.

Roanoke, Virgibia

• Feb 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

4 of us stayed at the palms October 2012 for a week and everything from room to the staff was great except that I needed clean sheets every day after I received stitches and wanted to protect against infection and was told by the maid that I couldn't have clean sheets every day. I promptly called the office and within a short time I had sheets for the entire week. if it had not been for the possiblility of infection I never would have asked for clean sheets every day. othere than that the whole vacation was wonderful. the prices were terrific also. view was wonderful . the appliances were old and stove shocked us but okey. we will stay there again but hope to get a room in the building with the front desk. I loved the palms . o and one other thing make sure you bring your own first aide kit as they had none there. all in all the staff was the best and very helpful.