Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort

415 S. Ocean Blvd., (formerly Holiday Inn), Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577, United States

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 120% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• AMAZING!!! LOVE THIS PLACE

This place was amazing! A wonderful visit and loved everything about the room. very clean and everything was more than perfect. Better than what i expected. im already planning another trip back :) everyone was so nice and helpful! thanks for a great vacation west gate :)

• AMAZING!!! LOVE THIS PLACE

• Never Again. Stay Away

Never again will I stay at this Hotel. North Tower is only 2 years old and already looks like a dump. Everything was breaking. Doors, security entrances, elevators - were always breaking.

PROS: At least the bed was somewhat comfortable. Double Jacuzzi tub and large shower.

CONS:
    - Rooms are not sound proof.
    - Daily room\maid service does not exist at this hotel. Room service is 1 day a week. Plus why is the maid service coming around at 5 pm? Who the heck set up this schedule? I believe there was only 1 maid for the entire hotel. At least, that's all I saw when I was there.
    - They gave you 1 roll of toilet paper. When you called to get more, they give you 1 more roll.
    - Fans in room never worked, even after lodging a complaint about it. Bench seats at dinner table were too small and cushions kept falling off.
    - People there forced you to come to the timeshare seminar, even after telling them that you're not interesting in it. The minute we said no to the timeshare, it was almost as if we were targetted as people who didn't get it. Timeshare people stuck their noses up at us and were very rude afterwards.
    - Only way of staying at this hotel is if you own a timeshare. Although their website states that you can reserve the rooms, don't believe the hype. Front desk stated no, we don't take any reservations. This is an "OWNERS ONLY" hotel. - in other words, you need to be a timeshare owner.
    - Pools were absolutely filthy. Every morning, there was garbage in the pools and outdoor hot tubs.
    - The Gym!! Oh don't get me going there. Our security cards never worked to get in there, even though we were told we had access to it.
    - Vending machines were always empty. But then again, who wants to spend 2.50 on a can of pop or 1.75 for a chocolate bar.
    - little bit of rain caused the parking lot to flood as the way the lot is set up, it is set to drain towards 1 small drainage sewer. Someone wasn't thinking when they constructed that parking lot.
    - The "Come by the bar and enjoy a drink by the pool" bit is a total hoax. Again.. Who is going to pay 8 dollars for a mixed drink (no alcohol in the drink at all. If there was, it was so little you couldn't taste it). A can of beer was 9 dollars. I could have went across the street to the local store and got a case of 6 beers for 11 dollars.
    - Storm Doors were horrible to open. We realize that these are hurricane doors but it shouldn't take all your strength to try to open and close it.
    - We were told security was priority one at this hotel. Then why were there people, who weren't staying at this hotel, going into hotel and randomly going up and down the elevators. Only security was the local police (to which were there at least 4 or 5 times a day).
    - Yes our room had a safe. We programmed it and locked it. Safe was closed at all times and prior to maid entering, we confirmed that all our possessions were in the safe and locked. But after maid left, we noticed that the safe was open (So much for security). What went missing. Our GPS, portable DVD player that we brought with us during our travel down, and approximately 350.00. Hotel stated that they would investigate. Yeah.. Never happened. 3 days went by and Hotel stated that we were responsible for everything in the room. - Major sour taste in our mouth after this remark. Good thing I got paid that day so that I can drive home or I'd still be stranded in Myrtle Beach.
    - Washer and Dryer is extremely tiny. Will hold a max of 2 tee shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. Very loud. Dry cycle takes 3 hrs. Clothes came out smelly. Found out that the washing machine had mold on the inside. Advised front desk who told us to go out and buy bleech and clean the washer. - why is that our problem!

OVERALL: This hotel is highly overrated. Spoke to several other patrons at this hotel who experienced the same disappointment as we did. Dirty Rooms, horrible room service, very rude staff.

• joanie30735's Profile Photo

Best Place to stay!

I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone because it has everything you need and plus there is plenty to do just across the street! From the moment we arrived to the hotel we were treated VERY well! I was REALLY impressed! Our room was just what we needed for a place to stay because we were hardly in it because we were either at the lazy river, swimming pool, kids water park, or the Beach! We Loved our stay and will be going back soon!!!!

Unique Quality: Everything at the hotel was GREAT! We actually had a VACATION while staying at this hotel!

Directions: This Area is Perfect and near Everything!!!!

More about Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort

Steadily going down hill

by TripAdvisor Member Ted09

I have been staying at this hotel for the last 6-7 years and it has been going noticibly down hill. Last time I stayed there (May 2005) I got stuck in the elevator for 10-15 minutes with no lights and very hot-I kept pushing the emergency button and nothing happened-when I finally escaped I went to the front desk and informed them of what happpened they said "Oh that was you in there?!" The rooms are very run down, carpeting smells and feels damp. Bathroom had some mold and air-conditioning smelled mildewy. This hotel has increased their prices otrageously especially during bike week. I have been to roadside motels that have been cleaner and nicer. Years ago it was a good hotel for the price - now forget it.
There is almost no baggage assistance. We had to go find a cart ourselves and bring our luggage up to our room. The front desk staff was ok - check in took only a few minutes.
I had a written room confirmation with the charges on it when I arrived - upon check-out I was overcharged and did not have the time to fight with the front desk about the bill - when I arrived home I called the hotel numerous times to correct the problem to no avail - I finally had to contact my American Express card and they corrected the problem for me. I will NO longer stay at this hotel!!
This year I booked a condo in Myrtle Beach for a week at about half the price of this place.

It was good and bad

by TripAdvisor Member RobLauzon

My Father-in-Law and I just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. There were things that we liked and there were problems.

Good things first:
The location is great, right on the beach. We had an oceanfront room with a balcony. Our room/bathroom was clean and comfortable. The fridge kept the beer nice and cold. Breakfast buffet was pretty good. The golf guy (John Shanley)did a great job of booking our tee times and he left a nice package with info and our golf/breakfast coupons at the front desk for us when we checked in. The golf package price was pretty good. There was lots of parking which was good.

The problems:
We had NO hot water in the room the whole time we were there. We complained and complained, and they kept saying that it would be fixed but it never was. Since we had paid for an oceanfront room we didn't want to move to a non-oceanfront, so after 2 days of saying it would be fixed (and quick, cold showers)they gave us a key to a non-oceanfront room that we could go and have a shower.

There was quite a bit of renovations going on which was a bit of a pain. The pool was closed most of the time, the back door to walk out to the beach was closed off. Inconveniences but I'm sure that when/if they are finally done it should be nice.

Using to phone to try and make a call...even using a calling card wasn't possible...we ended up going down to the lobby and using the pay phone.

roach motel/ignorant rude staff

Room full of roaches, lied about cost of room, rude customer service, ignorant managers, we will NEVER stay here again...EVER. Been going to MB for 21 years and never had problems like this. Resident of SC.

Fine Place

by TripAdvisor Member dosborne17

Stayed here as part of time share tour. Very clean room. Definitely older and showing wear. Staff was extremely nice. Parking was great. Loved the oceanfront room (free upgrade with Priority Club card). Great location and beach.

Downside: Pool was too cold to swim in. Still working on kids pool area and lazy river. Plugs in room were all about falling out. Amusement park across street was closed until next week (not really their fault). Tour people were nice until you said no - which is normal for these things.

We would stay here again.

OK

Nice location right on the beach. Nice pool and lobby. Really strange people selling time-shares giving weird looks to the guests: made folks feel a little unwelcome. Restuarant was always empty although the one breakfast we had there was OK. Indoor pool and jacuzzi were nice. Room was good although we saw 2 bugs. Decent bathroom and maid-service. Incredible view of beach from room and balcony. Staff was mostly nice aside from pool-side bartender who was absolutely obnoxious and rude. Construction going on but reasonably quiet.

No problem with the Holiday Inn Downtown Oceanfront

We have just arrived back to the UK from Myrtle Beach after staying at the above hotel and have really enjoyed our stay. We were on a budget and I think prices were quite reasonable for a busy (golf) time of year.
All the staff were courteous, helpfull and friendly which is unusual in a large complex. Ok the room was looking a little dated, but they are going through a transition with the Westgate complex opening and it is only a two star hotel.
I was there for the golf and my wife and young son (18 months) for the beach. The golf was organised by John Shanley, who did a tremendous job of booking times and sorting problems (unusable rain checks), I would recommend him to anyone. As for the wife and youngster, it was a shame that the toddlers pool wasn't open but they enjoyed the other pool area and the huge beach.
All in all we had a great time, and I would say that when the Westgate part of the complex is finished, it will be one of the places to stay.

We had a great time!

I visited this hotel with my two friends for spring break this year. After reading the reviews we were skeptical as to exactly how the hotel was going to be. Once we got there the staff was really nice and let us check in early. We had an oceanfront veiw room which was amazing. It was great to sit out on the balcony at night. It is in a great location which is close to all of the attractions. And although we didn't have any children with us there, we noticed the staff always had activites in the pool and on the beach for the kids to do. The only complaints I had was that the pool wasn't heated and I felt "slimy" in the jacuzzi. Another thing that was akward was the tours that were going on during the day, it made us feel uncomfortable at some points. I also wish the restuarant was open for us to eat at. Another thing- althought it isn't their fault, the lazy river wasn't done and the amusment park wasn't open. All in all I would stay here again, we had a great time!

Great Staff

I stayed at the hotel during Memorial Day and really enjoyed myself. The location was a plus as I had everything I needed right at the hotel. The parking lot was very secure for bikes and they had security 24/7. The staff bent over backwards for me and the rooms were nice. I would like to stay here again in the future.

Comments