North Charleston Inn

2934 W Montague Ave, I-26 & W Montague Ave., North Charleston, South Carolina, 29418, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Hewett Anderson BeasleyHewett Anderson Beasley

Travel Tips for North Charleston

Comfortable at Inns of Charleston - December 2005

by grandmaR

"Arriving December 12, 2005"

I called our son at work at 6 to let him know we were on the way. I remembered (correctly this time) that there wasn't much in the way of gas and restaurants on I-26, so I asked him whether there was a Hess station at Santee (exit 98) and he said there was, and it had diesel. (He works for Hess as a dispatcher, and we prefer Hess diesel because it has additives in it to counteract the effects of low sulfer fuel on the engine.)

We stopped there and got fuel (only $2.49 here) and ate some chicken at Bojangles. We each had a chicken breast dinner and a drink for $10.56. Then we got on the road again and found our way to the AFB and checked in to the Inns at Charleston at 2000 (8 pm). These rooms are only available to military or retired military.

I had the AAA do triptiks, and they said that it was 522 miles and 8 hours 17 minutes from our house to the AFB, and our actual travel distance was 505 miles and took 10 hours and 28 minutes.

Our room this time is very nice - on the ground floor - a single room with a microwave and refrigerator and toaster but no utensils or plates. Of course there's only one TV (before we had 2 rooms so Bob could watch different TV than I did) and the phone and the phone jack is on the other side of the room at a desk. We are paying $26/night so I guess we can't complain. The price varies with the season - it is more in the summer. The room was so hot I turned off the heater.

Bob programmed the TV and the clock radio to go on at the same times as at home (6:45 for the radio and 7 for the TV), but he got the radio an hour early and the TV for 7 pm instead of 7 am. I downloaded email but couldn't really read it all, and was watching Monday night football. I set the TV to go off on the timer, and just went to sleep very shortly afterwards.

"December 13, 2005 - Tuesday"

The next morning, the radio went off at 5:30 and Bob did the snooze alarm once and then eventually turned it off and we both went back to sleep until almost 9. We got up and dressed, and Bob had breakfast, and I downloaded some more email, and then we left and went to our son's house getting there about 10:50. Our DIL gave us spaghetti and meatballs for mid-day dinner because our son had to work. We gave them the Harry and David box, and watched their movies on the computer.

They have a new cat - what mom would call a pink and blue cat - she is a pale calico and very fuzzy. Her name is Precious. They have a new cat because a dog got into the screened porch and killed Muffin and the new calico kitten. The rabbit was in his cage and was OK. They are putting Sneakers on a diet - he's a big cat. The house is all decorated for Xmas - they have the tree up.

Soon after our granddaughter got home (about 2:45), we left because she had homework to do and then she had choir practice and our son leaves for work at about 3. Our grandson wasn't due home until about 4.

"December 13th continued"

We went back to the AFB, and then we went out for dinner. We drove all the way down 642 to the intersection with the interstate, and then came back and ate at the Graffiti Grill. Bob had baked lasagna, with a salad ($7.50) and I had Fettuccini Alfredo and lentil soup ($6.95). Both were advertised as homemade. Bob finished his, but I had too much to finish it. The bill was $16.49 before the tip.

We came back to the AFB and I fell asleep before 9 pm. Then of course I waked up at 4 in the morning and wrote up the previous two days. After I sent it, I went back to sleep

"December 14, 2005"

Today, I wanted to go out and see the Old Santee Canal Locks. I found out that the park closed at 4:30 and it was about 20 miles from our son's house. Normally we would have taken the kids along, but our grandson doesn't get home until after 4, so that wasn't an option in this case.

We finally got underway but Bob went to the Exchange first and cashed a check, and bought a pair of hair clippers and a mug so he could have his hot chocolate in the morning and then also went to the commissary. I took the chance to look the route to the Park up on the maps.

We went through Goose Creek about 11:15, and got to the park in Monck's Corner about 11:30. It was obviously off season as there were window washers all over the Visitor's Center.

"December 14th continued"

After we spent some time with the kids, we took them to Sticky Fingers for dinner. Our grandson had an adult chicken strips, our son and I had a pulled pork dinner, Bob had a half rack of ribs, our DIL had a salad with bbq on top of it, and our granddaughter had the children's chicken strips. Our grandson and I had dessert. He had the oreo cookie pie, and I had the peach cobbler.

There was a chalk outline on the pavement outside, and the kids took turns posing inside the outline. We got fuel before we went back to the AFB - cost in Summerville was $2.27/gallon

"Leaving North Charleston December 15th"

December 15th was rainy and miserable. We checked out and were on the road by 8:40. I had originally planned to swing by the Tybee Island lighthouse, but I figured that in the rain and fog that wouldn't be a good thing to try so I had several alternate ideas based on the AAA book. We crossed into GA at 10:40, and as we were approaching Savannah, I saw that not only was it raining off and on, but the tops of the tall trees were in fog. Not good for lighthouses. And it probably wouldn't be good for Fort Frederica either.

Next Brunswick Georgia.