Avista Resort

300 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29582, United States

Booking.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Great location, very clean, close to everything

I booked the Avista Resort after looking around at several hotels/condos in North Myrtle. What caught my eye about Avista was mainly the location (close to Broadway at the Beach & Barefoot Landing), the vast, open beach area (no overcrowding), and the pools! I asked for a top floor room (since my hubby is a photographer and wanted to get some nighttime shots) and we were put on the 17th floor... the very top floor. The elevators are amazingly fast... no worries about being stuck in an elevator half your life if you stay on the top floor; these suckers move fast and there are four to service each tower (we were in the North Tower).We asked for an early check-in, and upon arrival (4 hours before "check in time"), we were given a pool pass-key and a parking tag so that we could park, change in the hotel bathrooms and swim for a bit while they worked on our room. VERY FRIENDLY and helpful staff, always ready to answer questions or help.

The facilities themselves were all very clean, nicely decorated (all in a yellow and blue scheme), and had a nice layout to give you the max amount of room in the smallest spaces. The parking garage is across the street, and I have read a lot of complaints about this --- BUT --- when you check in, you park underneath the condos and offload your stuff right there into the elevators. No problem. To get to the parking garage, you cross Ocean Boulevard which is never busy; 2 lanes each way and people (believe it or not) DO stop when they see ya trying to cross. None of this "let's kill the pedestrians!" stuff that happens in Cincinnati. Anyhoo.

The cons, which are not that big of a deal: The washer/dryer combo machine is very interesting. LG makes really rockin' stuff. All you really need to do is PLAN AHEAD! I'd do a load every morning (set the combo machine to 'wash'), then after coming back after dinner to go hang at the beach again, set the combo machine to 'dry'. Simple, right? Most people complain to the end on this but it was not that difficult. The combo machines could / should be replaced with simple, small apartment style top/bottom washer/dryer separate machines, but it was fun to mess around with the 'combo machine'. And, you DO have that area on TOP of the machine to fold stuff and store stuff, whereas if there was the washer/dryer apt on-top-of-each-other thingy it would take away that space to fold clothes.

The garbage can in the kitchen: VERY small!!! When you have 2 adults & 2 kids (typical family size nowadays, unless you are very fertile), you make a LOT of garbage. However they do give you extra bags so just fill 'em up and tie them off and leave them for housekeeping. The garbage can in the kitchen is the size of what you'd find aside your office desk, or in a bathroom; just way too tiny. However, just use the bags, housekeeping was marvelous. We asked for more dishwasher detergent and more tissues since we were all snotty from Cincinnati Allergies, and we got them both, no problem.

The little kitchen table is a good place to set 'things'. We didn't use it even once during our 5 day stay. We'd eat breakfast & lunch in the room (while sitting on the floor or on the sofa or on the balcony), and dinner was always OUT. Anyone who sees the pictures of the kitchen will think, "there is no counter space", and you are right. There is enough counter space to fix yourself a goooood cocktail on the rocks, or maybe a sandwich; but don't expect to create 5-star dinners here or even 5-star breakfasts. Just eat cereal or oatmeal, come back for a sandwich at lunch and you'll survive the kitchen in order to go out for that 5-star DINNER in North Myrtle which you should do anyway because who the he|| likes to cook while yer on vacation???

All in all we loved Avista Resort and do plan on going back. The kids were enthralled at the lazy river (dubbed the 'Crazy River' due to certain unruly, unsupervised kids), and we loved the ability to hang out at the pool after dark, walk the beach for 'critters' after sunset and the location was superb.

Unique Quality: If you look at the pictures of the pools, you will see they are standard size for anywhere in Myrtle (space is tight and land is at a premium so they squeeze everything together, pools, parking, people, etc.). However, the way the pools were laid out was very nice here at Avista. Two separate outdoor pools, one large indoor pool that was never crowded, an indoor AND outdoor lazy river ('Crazy', meaning, don't expect to relax AT ALL in the 'lazy river), and the general cleanliness of the pool area was very nice. No funky smells, no 'fecal incidents', no funny slimy stuff underneath your feet in the hot tub. The only thing we noticed was it is very highly chlorinated (salt based chlorine, so the water tastes like sea water) ... your eyes will burn burn BURN but that is why God invented Visine and Visine A.

Regarding our view from the top floor (room 1704), I can't say this enough... ask for a top floor and you will get it. Due to the shart-eating economy at this point, every single place in Myrtle had a vacancy... so did Avista (duh), so naturally if you request a certain specific room on a certain specific floor, they WILL give it to you. I had asked back in January for the top floor room due to my hubs being a photog, and I called one week ahead of departure just to make sure we DID get the room. Yes, I was told, you're on the top floor. The views from the lower rooms, as I was told by other peeps staying there, suck. You see the pools (which can have some interesting views of their own) and a little sliver of ocean. Our view, phenomenal, and oh that breeze.

We stayed in a '1 bedroom oceanfront' (NOT ocean-view) and I totally recommend this. OceanFRONT means your balcony will have a full view of the ocean. The way the room was laid out was perfect. The kids (ages 12 & 11) took the bedroom with a closet, a large TV and two queen sized beds... & a door... and us adults slept on the full sized Murphy bed which drops out of the wall. A breeze to make up in the morning and OH SO comfortable!

Directions: VERY close to Barefoot Landing which was awesome (after having a few drinks at Dick's Last Resort, you don't want to drive too much!) and about 30 minutes from Broadway at the Beach.

• N. Myrtle Beach

My husband said to only give this resort 2 stars. He wasn't impressed. I am not so hard to please I guess. I was satisfied. Room was clean and the resort is new. I think they are going for time share crowd with hotel rooms as a side line. Everyone we saw seemed very happy to be there.
    Beach access was over long wooden bridge with many steps. ( not great for anyone with disability I'll wager}. It was nice to stay in an oceanfront room with washer/dryer combo and kitchen. We even had a stove if i'd wanted to cook. Full size everything.
    One should note: Resort doesn't own beach chairs/umbrellas. You will pay N. Myrtle Beach city life guards alot to rent these. Hopefully you will get along well with fellow Umbrella renters as life guards put umbrellas so close together you will almost feel like family! Forget privacy! Brochure lists "jacuzzi" tub, but we had some awful half shower thing. Surly front desk help.
    Suite we were in could accomidate alot of people: Murphy bed, 2 full size beds and sofa bed.

Unique Quality: Good children's activities with young & friendly staff. Outdoor and indoor pools. Resturant on premises. No room service available but a few delivery places available.
    Very clean rooms. The head of house keeping even stopped by to make sure everything o.k.

More about Avista Resort

Loved the Avista Resort

by TripAdvisor Member nanna_kk

My Family and I stayed at the Avista Resort over the 4th of July weekend. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The service was outstanding, from the housekeeping department to the front desk. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and the Concierge service there was also outstanding. Lora Lee (concierge) really made our stay. She gave us reccomendations for places to eat and things to see while we were here. The best thing she told us about was the cruise on the Getaway! It was so much fun. Capt. Tamie took us down the waterway and right out into the ocean. We searched for dolphins and found lots and lots of them. I have never seen so many dolphins out in the wild like that. We also saw a sea turtle and I got lots of great pictures. Capt Tamie and her First Mate, Anita were so much fun, they are the best! After the ride in the ocean and seeing dolphins, we came to an island and got to get out and search for shells. It was an undeveloped island, very beautiful. I would highly reccomend this cruise over any of the others in the area. Capt Tamie really made you feel special, like family out for a day on the water. Anyway, back to the AVISTA. There are a few small things that still need to be worked out but the people there (especially at the front desk) were so friendly and helpful. that I am sure they will work out all the kinks and operate the best resort in North Myrtle Beach. (and it's not timeshare!) They really showed me what real southern hospitality is all about. The Resturaunt (Just off Main). was open and the food was great! I did miss not having the lounge or pool side bar open but they said it would be open soon. I would advise you to check this place out. It is outstanding!

Issues Resolved

by TripAdvisor Member Douger

After my wife's recent review, we received a call from Elliott Realty.
Mr. R. Elliott addressed each and every one of our concerns and convinced us by his attention that he was distressed that we had not had a good experience with his company or with the Avista Resort. He informed us that there were certain issues (such as unfriendly staff) that he had taken up with Avista Resort which were beyond his control. This is understandable. There are simply some things occuring at the Avista that are beyond the control of ANY realty company who rents out the units. The responsibility for those issues lies solely with Avista management.

As for the issues with Elliott Realty, we are satisfied that every one of our concerns has been addressed, including what appears to be an inadvertent charge on my wife's credit card.

When a family has an awful experience instead of a much-needed vacation, it is frustrating when one believes their concerns have been "blown off". However, I think it speaks to the character of the person whose name is on the door when they are willing to contact unhappy customers with the intent to make amends.

We've tried to relate only our experiences and not recommend any one action or another, but after the phone conversation, we will most certainly consider renting from Elliott Realty again.

Great concept, bad, bad, bad execution.

by TripAdvisor Member NiCionnoith

Reservations...were not clear this was a hard hat area and the building was still under construction.

Saturday arrival and check in...was screwed up by Elliott Realty's computer system. The room was ready l o n g before the computer system said it was.

Cleanliness...NOT. Although the room had supposedly been cleaned by Elliott's staff housekeeping, I had to clean the room myself upon arrival including a filthy, greasy jacuzzi tub and dirty dishes, and interestingly, a pair of shoes that was missed by housekeeping. No toilet paper was provided except for one roll in a "goodie bag" given to us by Elliott Realty. Additionally, we rented linens (4 towels and 4 washcloths, sheets for two beds) from Elliott Realty for $40.00. They were somewhat clean, however, read on about the washer-dryer, and you'll see why that wasn't exactly sufficient.

On SUNDAY, the Haier so-called "washer-dryer" leaked its contents all over the bedroom in spite of precisely following the directions (including hand-written ones, apparently left by a service person prior to our visit). It gets better...the carpet, being soaked, was pulled up by Livingston Carpet and left for THREE DAYS with an industrial/commercial dryer left underneath it. No shop-vac style water extraction for this bunch! (Believe me, I would have much rather heard the ocean and walked on sand than hearing this dryer and walking on pulled-up, puffed-up [by air] carpet.)

SEVERAL calls to Elliott Realty later produced an appliance repairman for the washer/dryer on WEDNESDAY. Considering that having the washer/dryer was one of the keys to booking the Avista, (I didn't pack nearly as heavy as I would have) and the fact that it wasn't fixed until the day before we left, I was CERTAINLY inconvenienced.

For my trouble, Elliott Realty refunded $150.00 of my money. Not bad, I thought. I was willing to consider the fact that they were acting in good faith and there were some things beyone their control...until I got HOME and found an additonal $52.50 charged to my credit card! It is now the Friday AFTER my return home and I am still waiting to hear from some one who can tell me what that charge was about!

I was gratified to see that other guests had not had the experiences we had with the Avista Resort's front desk staff. The ladies we encountered were courteous and efficient, however the two "gentlemen" that we dealt with were surly and nearly hostile. (We encountered nearly all the front desk staff due to our keys repeatedly not working). Also, the fitness center attendant was not exactly polite.

Additionally, it was interesting to see the other reviews for the same week of our stay evaluating the pool area as "clean". We did not perceive the pools or the pool deck as clean due to the large amounts of salt and sand that were in the pools, hot-tubs, and on the deck. The only person we encountered who "cleaned" in any fashion, was one man who gathered up the towels at day's end. Otherwise...a garden hose would have been a useful and inexpensive tool.

A particular note about the ongoing construction: If you are considering booking this resort for your vacation, you should know that you (and perhaps your teenage daughter) will be exposed to several construction employees on the grounds, leering over the balconies of the unfinished portion of the towers. You should also be aware that there may be some construction materials that may fall over the side of those balconies (and perhaps a scaffolding or two) into the area of the pool deck. During our stay, the area directly below the work zone was not properly labeled or cordoned off and persons relaxing unawares in the pool area below could find any number of paint brushes, cans, or other apparatus on their heads. It's possible that this condition could now be corrected, and it is important to note that NONE of the above possibilities actually occurred (to our knowledge) during our stay.

On a positive note, the elevators in the resort itself worked properly and quickly. The public areas were beautifully decorated and clean. The design is indeed beautiful, but not very thoughtful... the nearest restroom to the pool area is on the second floor, and to reach the parking garage, one must cross a busy four-lane boulevard. Naturally, during our stay, it was being re-paved, making for very sticky, black-tarred feet. The other positives are that views are beautiful, perhaps more so from the side room than from the front (according to whether you prefer to look at the pool area and the other tower, or the ocean and the city-scape), and the location is VERY QUIET compared to other areas of North Myrtle Beach.

One other note of concern...upon returning from dinner one night, we were surprised to find a FIRE ENGINE parked in front of the building. We soon learned that there were people TRAPPED in the parking garage elevator. It had been a bit "iffy" before, (due to some very loud noises in the apparatus) but we didn't use that particular elevator AT ALL after that.

To summarize, I would not recommend staying at the Avista as long as their focus appears to be selling units rather than servicing and managing what they've already sold. I would also not recommend renting any unit, regardless of it's location, from Elliott Realty...unless of course you personally know a family member or associate and can count on having your concerns addressed.

Avista not ready for season

Arrived at Avista with great expectations that were beyond the capabities of the facility. My daughter is taking internet classes but the unit did not have internet access or phone service in the north tower. We had called ahead to insure this convienence was available so I asked the front desk what they could do to help. The resort offered to let her use the internet in the lobby beside Avista condo sales representative. Since we rented through Century 21, we complained to them, and they were unaware the rental was not completed. They had another rental in the building so we moved.

We agree with other resort comments:
1. Washer and Dryer are useless. Beating clothes on a rock and drying in the sun would be faster.
2. Management staff was rude and inconsiderate of our requests.
3. They new pools look old. They do not start cleaning until about 8:00.
4. The pedestal sink is not an efficent use of space.
5. Vechicles that had luggage racks, kayaks etc. were too tall to drive into parking garage.

During our stay we witnessed a elderly lady fall near the pool and break her ankle. The Avista staff left the lid off the skimmer box while cleaning and did't mark the trip hazard. We noticed that during the 30 to 40 minutes before the ambulance arrived she received little attention from the hotel staff. The pool attendent provided more assistance than management. We talked to her later and found out that management had not contacted since the accident.

This facility might be up OK by 2007.

Do not stay here!

This hotel is not ready for people to stay here! When we made our reservations we were told there was a fitness facility, two restaurants, poolside bar... the list goes on... We even checked in and stilll were not told that none of these things were open Not even a single place to get a drink, other than the vending machines on each floor.

My general comment for the resort is that nothing is large enough. The parking places were way too small. The bathrooms did not have any storage areas. My biggest complaint was about the pool chairs. Unless you were able to get up at the crack of dawn, you should forget about getting a pool chair. Way too crowded and not enough space for the amount of people their serving. We were there for only 5 days and the entire trip was consumed with something being out of order or not working at the hotel. From the elevators to the pool... this resort was a big letdown.

I will never go back to the Avista!

Great Place, Still in the works!, Jul. 1, 2005

We really loved this place, and yes like the other reviews, it is still in the works, but that didn't really bother us. Cleanliness & comfort are very important issues to us, and this place had both. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were on the 8th floor in a 3 bedroom, non-smoking unit. We had 2 king size beds, 2 doubles, 1 pull out sofa, 3 bathrooms and a dining table with 6 chairs, there really was plenty of space for the 6 of us. Every employee we met, especially Darlene at the front desk, and Terrell at the Ground Floor door, was polite, friendly, and cared about how our stay was going. JEN, the activities director, did a great job everyday with the kids. Even my teens enjoyed some of the activities and felt encouraged to participate. Having children activities was a big plus. The pools were the down fall of the place. They were extremely crowded and if you didn't get out there before the pools were opened to place your stuff on a chair you did not have one. The pools were not all that clean either and lacked an attendant to check them out throughout the day. A vending machine and restroom on the pool floor would also have been a help. I was not real thrilled with the system of renting an umbrella and chairs. (If you have your own taken them) To our surprise you place your request and pay the Life Guard!! The life guard ran about most of the morning getting chairs and umbrellas for people, and didn't "Life Guard" until late morning early afternoon. Our cost for the 5 days, for 1 umbrella, and 4 chairs was $120.00 (ouch). The parking garage spaces were a tight squeeze, but so were many other places we've stayed at. Overall, we were very pleased with Avista and would stay there again! I felt it was a clean environement, comfortable, and a safe place for my children to enjoy the various amentities.

No better then... AVISTA

by TripAdvisor Member deemyrtle

I stayed in the Penthouse during my 7 night stay at the Avista. The views were out of this world!! The restaurant is NOW open and let me tell you the food is VERY good. Chicken ceasar wrap is top choice for lunch. Kids meals you can get for $3.00 and they really enjoy it!! The rooms are very spacious, its great to have such a LARGE bathroom. Every unit is different-some do have shelving or cabinets in bathroom to accomodate your storage needs. It is very clean, and accomodating. Terell is a good person. He is very friendly and always smiling. Jen who is the activities coordinator every day 9am-5pm has alot of energy!! Always having something for kids to do, hair wrapping, soccer, basketball,pool tag,face painting, ect.... She is a great person who tries to get ALL kids involved in something! Most of the activities are FREE, which is an added bonus!! I have stayed at many different resorts and I love the idea that there is a restaurant (that is good) in this resortl. The bar is not yet opened on the 4th floor but I did sneak in there and it looks like it will be alot of fun!
You can walk right to Main Street where there is an arcade, ice cream shop, restaurant, shops, rent bikes. I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!! I will definately be back in August!!!

Stay at Motel 6 you have a better vacation

Unfinished, over priced, inconvenient! Parking is a pain! elevator got stuck. Fire alarm went off at 6:30 am because of faulty sprinkler system. I would feel more relaxed if I had stayed in Harlem. Pools are small and they close at 10:00 pm or if it rains. If you have ocean front you might have a good veiw but if you have a ocean veiw, you get a distant veiw across other buildings,I would have been better off to be across the street. Back to Bay Watch for us!

Comments